View Full Version : Smartphone Thoughts Managing Editor Admits Defeat and Buys Pocket PC

Jason Dunn
12-30-2003, 10:35 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=4704' target='_blank'>http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/i...p?topic_id=4704</a><br /><br /></div>This is an interesting column from Robert Levy, the Managing Editor at Smartphone Thoughts, about how he needed to go back to using a Pocket PC. I know this will generate some interesting comments, so let's hear what you think!<br /><br />"Ok – it’s time for me to come clean. There is a personal battle that I have been fighting over the last several months and last week that battle was lost. It was my belief that life would be easier if I only carried around a single device. Since getting my first Smartphone, I pushed myself to do this and for the first couple of months it brought about a great feeling of freedom. I could entertain myself, stay on top of my email and the news, plus keep in touch with people wherever I went with just one gadget that I could easily operate with one hand. Everything I ever needed to read while on the road was never more than a few taps of the thumb away. But then I saw the 4350 iPAQ Pocket PC from Hewlett Packard and everything changed. For those that don’t know, the 4350 is a thin device with 64 MB of RAM, a 400 MHz XScale processor, the latest Pocket PC operating system, built in 802.11, built in Bluetooth, and a built in QWERTY keyboard..."

csterns
12-30-2003, 10:53 PM
I guess this means convergence to a single device is pretty much out. That's my struggle. I'm so close to jumping on a Pocket PC phone to converge my HP 2215 and Sony Ericcson T616 I can't see straight. However, I'm trying to project forward once I have it what are the negatives? Well one I thought of is most of the time while I am at my desk my HP 2215 sits in its cradle being constantly updated until it is time to grab and run. My cell phone sits next to me at my desk. Here comes scenario #1 with what's wrong with this picture. The phone rings and I answer the phone. With the converged product - Pocket PC phone - I have to un-cradle it and answer the phone. When I'm done it goes back into the cradle. Oops! I have to make a call. Out of the cradle it comes again. No, no, no. I can't be doing that.

Then its bigger than my cell phone which sits nicely in my pants pocket. How about multi-tasking? Taking notes while on the phone? Surely there is something in the Pocket PC phone that will cause it crash. Thus ends the phone conversation. How about when I use my HP2215's Mapopolis program? Can I still use the maps and use the phone? What about when a call comes in and I'm in the middle of negotiating turns and directions.

Nope. I think I've answered my own questions and save a bundle of money. You can't do it all with a converged device. What do you think?

Phoenix
12-30-2003, 11:03 PM
I guess this means convergence to a single device is pretty much out. That's my struggle. I'm so close to jumping on a Pocket PC phone to converge my HP 2215 and Sony Ericcson T616 I can't see straight. However, I'm trying to project forward once I have it what are the negatives? Well one I thought of is most of the time while I am at my desk my HP 2215 sits in its cradle being constantly updated until it is time to grab and run. My cell phone sits next to me at my desk. Here comes scenario #1 with what's wrong with this picture. The phone rings and I answer the phone. With the converged product - Pocket PC phone - I have to un-cradle it and answer the phone. When I'm done it goes back into the cradle. Oops! I have to make a call. Out of the cradle it comes again. No, no, no. I can't be doing that.

Then its bigger than my cell phone which sits nicely in my pants pocket. How about multi-tasking? Taking notes while on the phone? Surely there is something in the Pocket PC phone that will cause it crash. Thus ends the phone conversation. How about when I use my HP2215's Mapopolis program? Can I still use the maps and use the phone? What about when a call comes in and I'm in the middle of negotiating turns and directions.

Nope. I think I've answered my own questions and save a bundle of money. You can't do it all with a converged device. What do you think?

Those are excellent points. How about when you're using your PPC with your Stowaway XT keyboard?

Although I can see myself carring a PPC with WiFi, BT, and GPRS built in for all purposes of wireless connectivity, I can't say that I'd use the GSM portion of it. At least not on a regular basis, although it might be nice for a backup for whatever reason, and I suppose for a few bragging rights. But for me, for the time being, I will always carry around two devices. For a phone, I like hardware keys as well, not just a touchscreen when dialing numbers, which is why I like my P900 with the flip.

eNurse
12-30-2003, 11:05 PM
I have an iPAQ 5555 and a Motorola MPx200 SmartPhone. Both are great tools (I am a Nursing Administrator). At work in the hospital the Pocket PC is in my lab coat pocket and the SmartPhone is clipped to my belt. After hours, the SmartPhone has enough information stored and available to get me by.

Each device has its strengths and weaknesses. It is up to the user to carefully research and see what is going to work best for them. One of my colleaguse dumped her Pocket PC Phone as it was too cumbersome as a mobile phone (but a great PDA).

eNurse
Nursing Pocket PC User Group

corphack
12-30-2003, 11:22 PM
Surely there is something in the Pocket PC phone that will cause it crash.

There is, its called "PocketPC 2002" (sorry, couldn't resist).

I have an iPAQ 5455 currently, and I recently acquired an MPx200 (on T-Mobile - ask me how...). Both have their place: having one phone directory (>1000 active contacts with multiple numbers for each), one day-runner, and one encrypted password storage application (CodeWalletPro) across the two devices means I don't have to carry both devices all the time, which is especially nice after work and on weekends. Even with a high-end PDA (or GPRS-enabled phone, once they're available), the MPx200 allows me to do most everything (except extensive text entry) discreetly, and I don't have to carry a Podzilla for the iPAQ with me to the movies....

brianchris
12-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Funny, we just dicussed this topic here at PPC Thoughts very recently: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=197382

I'll re-state what I said there: I can see owning a laptop, Pocket PC, AND a MS Smartphone all at the same time, with the main point being, I wouldn't carry all of them with me on a daily basis. Different scenarios would require different combinations of those three devices (or singular device, as the Smartphone with ListPro is more than adequate for a weekend trip to the grocery store).

While the PocketPC Phone editions are sure seductive (especially the XDA II), one potential issue with them that no one has addressed is: I've had a number of extremely busy days where I've been talking on my cell phone (T616) *all* day long, and by 3pm or so, my cell phone was dead. No problem, as while I couldn't use the cell phone anymore, I could still use my iPaq, and once I found myself back in my car (with my car charger) or other power jack, the phone sprang to life again. NOT so with a PPC Phone edition right? If the battery goes dead there, you've erased the PPC memory. True, you can restore from a recent backup you've made (yea, right.....as most of us backup as often as we should), but even that's one more step you don't have to go through with say, a T616 or other two device solution (not sure how an MS Smartphone behaves under dead battery scenarios).

-Brian

Pat Logsdon
12-30-2003, 11:55 PM
While the PocketPC Phone editions are sure seductive (especially the XDA II), one potential issue with them that no one has addressed is: I've had a number of extremely busy days where I've been talking on my cell phone (T616) *all* day long, and by 3pm or so, my cell phone was dead. No problem, as while I couldn't use the cell phone anymore, I could still use my iPaq, and once I found myself back in my car (with my car charger) or other power jack, the phone sprang to life again. NOT so with a PPC Phone edition right? If the battery goes dead there, you've erased the PPC memory. True, you can restore from a recent backup you've made (yea, right.....as most of us backup as often as we should), but even that's one more step you don't have to go through with say, a T616 or other two device solution (not sure how an MS Smartphone behaves under dead battery scenarios).
All Pocket PC's have backup batteries specifically so you won't lose data if the main battery dies. I think the XDA II has in internal rechargeable backup battery. The XDA II also has a user-replaceable main battery. Personally, I'd just buy another battery, and when the one you're using drops down to about 10%, swap in a fresh one. Should last you 7-8 hours easy. :mrgreen: 8)

csterns
12-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Well this is pretty much confirming carrying multiple devices for multiple reasons depending upon the individual's requirements. For me the Pocket PC is worked hard when in work mode. Mapopolis is very much needed for getting around.

I too can expend the life of a battery on a daily basis which is why BT is important to me. Got to have that wireless headset connection. I burn through two Jabra's a day due to their limited battery life (2 hours). So when I am in the office I cradle my T616 in a fast forwarding device and all calls are routed to my office phone (no minutes charged) and it charges as well. Then when it is time to grab and run I have a power adapter for it in the car. Same as for my Pocket PC but I have never had to use it.

So combined with my Tablet PC (wi-fi, BT, Aircard slot), my Pocket PC and my T616 I guess I'm set.

Swordsman74
12-31-2003, 12:00 AM
I'm glad to see others skeptically viewing this "convergence" fad the same way I am - for the same reasons. My only problem with the PPC + SmartPhone together is the data. I would like either a PPC-to-PPC syncing option (contacts, calendar, tasks and files), or a way to store all "data" in one location - a removable card (SD?). When I want to go small, the card comes out of my PPC and gets put into my phone, and the PPC stays home. I know I can sync them both with Outlook and Activesync, but I am looking for a more direct approach.

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 12:01 AM
I guess this means convergence to a single device is pretty much out. That's my struggle. I'm so close to jumping on a Pocket PC phone to converge my HP 2215 and Sony Ericcson T616 I can't see straight.
Remember that a Pocket PC Phone != Smartphone, though. I carry an i700 with me and it's pretty close to a perfect converged device... on the other hand, it doesn't have WLAN or BT built-in. I'm tempted to get an e805 for the WLAN and VGA resolution, although I've survived with just the i700 for quite some time. :)

Taking notes while on the phone? Surely there is something in the Pocket PC phone that will cause it crash.
I've never had this problem. ;) The phone part is decoupled anyway, so if the PDA part were to crash, chances are you'd be able to keep on talking for a bit.

--janak

arebelspy
12-31-2003, 12:02 AM
Here comes scenario #1 with what's wrong with this picture. The phone rings and I answer the phone. With the converged product - Pocket PC phone - I have to un-cradle it and answer the phone. When I'm done it goes back into the cradle. Oops! I have to make a call. Out of the cradle it comes again. No, no, no. I can't be doing that.

I don't take mine out of the cradle to answer a call.. it's called a bluetooth headset. ;) Keeps it charging and calling, etc. :)

I've never had my XDA II crash either, and I use it for hardcore stuff (viedo watching while talking on the phone for example, lol). I've used PHM's Alt-Tab to switch between the phone app which popped up when someone called back to Mapopolis to keep using it. It works perfectly

For my XDA II I have:
1. cradle - charges XDA II through USB port and can charge the extra battery if AC power is plugged into the cradle (has a slot of extra battery)
2. wall charger
3. car charger
4. extra battery
5. battery pack powered by 4 AA nicad batteried that can charge the XDA II.

I NEVER run out of power, and I usually only carry the 1 (slim) extra battery with me, weighs practically nothing and i slip it in with my thumb keyboard (the advantage the author of the link from this article talking abotu in the 4300 nullified) and bluetooth headset into my pocket.

Yeah, you gotta be prepared. But it should never come to the point where your XDA wipes its memory and you need to restore from a recent backup (which you still should have in case, but never have to use).

-arebelspy

adamz
12-31-2003, 12:06 AM
I guess this means convergence to a single device is pretty much out.

Not necessarily. It means using a limited small-screened Smartphone is out.

That's my struggle. I'm so close to jumping on a Pocket PC phone to converge my HP 2215 and Sony Ericcson T616 I can't see straight. However, I'm trying to project forward once I have it what are the negatives? Well one I thought of is most of the time while I am at my desk my HP 2215 sits in its cradle being constantly updated until it is time to grab and run. My cell phone sits next to me at my desk. Here comes scenario #1 with what's wrong with this picture. The phone rings and I answer the phone. With the converged product - Pocket PC phone - I have to un-cradle it and answer the phone. When I'm done it goes back into the cradle. Oops! I have to make a call. Out of the cradle it comes again. No, no, no. I can't be doing that.

You must be thinking about older Pocket PC Phones.
I've never taken my Pocket PC Phone out of the cradle to answer or make a call, nor have I held it up to my face. The solution is a small lightweight Bluetooth headset bonded to the Pocket PC Phone. My XDA 2 sits in a cradle while at home, and sits on my desk while at work. In either scenario, when the phone rings, I pick up the Bluespoon headset, press the answer button and stick it into my ear to talk. The XDA remains undisturbed connected to activesync.
In other situations, such as on the road, in the lounge or walking on the street... the XDA II comes out of my pocket to make a call, the call is transfered instantaneously to my Bluespoon stuck in my ear... I shut off the XDA II and put it back in my pocket while continuing the phone conversation on the headset. Should the phone conversation happen to involve movie showtimes, restaurant locations, or taking notes, the XDA II comes out of my pocket, I turn it on and access the appropriate application without any interuption... this includes the ability to use both hands AND see the screen! How's that for multi-tasking? While driving, the XDA II is plugged into the car stereo playing music.... when a call comes in, the music stops and the phone rings... I press the answer button on the Bluetooth headset stuck in my ear and begin the conversation.
If the XDA II was the size of an iPAQ H1900 and also included WiFi, that would certainly be close to perfect. Oh yeah.. and had a detachable Bluetooth headset earplug. ;)

csterns
12-31-2003, 12:07 AM
There is no Smartphone in existence with BT and with more and more states enacting hands free laws it becomes a very important requirement for me. I don't want to be wired.

Secondly, the devices from what I know so far don't offer any MAP programs. Mapopolis is very crucial for me. So that leads to me to a Pocket PC phone. I would need this type of device to handle maps.

So as much as I would like to converge I don't think it is possible given my requirements. I remain optimistic though. Besides, God gave us two hands for a reason. One for a cell phone and the other a Pocket PC. Right?

csterns
12-31-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks Adamz and Arebelspy. I am now rejuvenated and back on my quest to converge. If I can multitask doing all that and it not crash or disrupt my ability to use the phone portion I'm on my way to owing an XDA II. Now if we can only get that price down :lol:

Thanks again.

arebelspy
12-31-2003, 12:31 AM
Now if we can only get that price down

It's high, but its worth it. It bankrupted me (broke freshman in college ;) ) but it's just so much more useful than any other PDA i've ever owned. Getting email, surfing the web.. I can't do without it now. It'sso worth it. :D

-arebelspy

yawanag
12-31-2003, 01:50 AM
I guess "Different Strokes for Different Folks!" would certainly apply here. I wouln't trade my XDA I for anything. I, too, am waiting for a price drop on the XDA II, even though my XDA I already has a buyer standing in the wings.

As for accepting a call while in the cradle, I discovered, quite by accident, that you can answer a call using the speakerphone.

corphack
12-31-2003, 01:57 AM
I know I can sync them both with Outlook and Activesync, but I am looking for a more direct approach.

If Sprite Software releases a version of Sprite Backup for the Smartphone, that might be acceptable as "a more direct approach" as the Pocket Outlook databases on PPC & on Smartphone are the same internal structures. We could selectively restore the contacts, calendar, and tasks databases from one to the other, although that would be more "replication" than "sync'ing". Maybe something like Intellisync would work?

Robert Levy
12-31-2003, 02:01 AM
There is no Smartphone in existence with BT and with more and more states enacting hands free laws it becomes a very important requirement for me.

The SPV E200 (also known as the HTC Voyager) has the latest Smartphone OS, Bluetooth, and an integrated camera. It is now available internationally and those of us in the US can get one from online resellers (including http://www.ppcw.net)

corphack
12-31-2003, 02:11 AM
The SPV E200 (also known as the HTC Voyager) has the latest Smartphone OS, Bluetooth, and an integrated camera

also, the MPx100 / MPx220 / MPx300 "are strongly rumored (leaked?)" to have various mixes of similar features, but no one I've spoken to believes that we'll see the 220 or 300 before the Summer '04.

Swordsman74
12-31-2003, 03:13 AM
Haha - I just realized something about this "convergence" talk... It appears most of the people who say they have given up the two-device existence are using a headset. If this is true, they haven't really "converged" all that much!! Think about it - you still have two devices - a smartphone and a headset. You carry both around with you so you haven't saved much there in convenience. The only difference is that you now have a MUCH smaller phone: the headset!! The downside is that your "phone" and what you use as your PDA are now inextricably linked - meaning your headset won't work without your phone. I realize many smartphones will work without a headset, but then you're back to not being able to use both at the same time....

I think I'll stick with my two unconverged and operationally independent devices...

SassKwatch
12-31-2003, 03:22 AM
I recently acquired an MPx200 (on T-Mobile - ask me how...).

Ok, I'll bite....just how did you get an MPX200 on T-mobile?!?!?

And if you didn't sign up for an AT&T contract (which seems to make the MPX200 *VERY* attractively priced), can I be so bold as to ask what you paid for the device itself?

stevew
12-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Who's selling the XDA II now and which wireless carrier supports it?

Silver5
12-31-2003, 04:17 AM
I am actually very interested in buying a smartphone. I don't think I'd want a Pocket PC phone for use as a phone, as that looks a bit too nerdy up to a person's face(sorry, doesn't look nerdy for you guys...I'm talking about other people :wink:. They look and act just like a phone but have those little PDA extras that I've come to find very useful.

I think I like the idea of being able to open the phone and see my schedule, email, or whatever other simple PIM stuff is in my current PPC, but I don't really like pulling out my iPAQ on campus on the way from one class to another...it is just a little too Star Wars/Trek in my view. I would use a converged device such as an XDA II or i700 as a PDA because of the connectivity. It is nice when on a short weekend trip or when I don't have a laptop to be able to get on the web for whatever reason. I wouldn't use a smartphone to replace the iPAQ, I'd use it so that I wouldn't have to carry it as much.

DaleReeck
12-31-2003, 04:36 AM
I have to admit, my XDA II continues to impress me. 128MB of memory, small with no antenna sticking out, 128MB of memory, camera, bluetooth, great screen, fast and stable. Plus, a CF slot option coming soon :)

The bluetooth needs to be a little more feature-rich (see iPaq 5555 for how to do bluetooth software right), built in WiFi would be nice and there's a few minor bugs here and there, but overall, the XDA II is a great converged device IMO.

feo
12-31-2003, 04:45 AM
:robot:
Resistance is futile, you will be...
:robot:

(I knew there will eventually be a perfect situation for my favorite smiley!!!)

whydidnt
12-31-2003, 04:59 AM
The biggest drawback with the current MS Smartphones is the lack of a stylus and direct entry on the screen. I've been trying the MPx200, and it's great to carry all my information, play games, listen to music, etc. on. However, I often find myself pulling the phone out to look up a date for an appointment - then writing a quick note on paper to enter later, since it is about as much fun as having a wisdom tooth pulled to try and enter a future appotinment using T-9. :evil:

It's a major flaw that they didn't include this functionality and makes me drool a little more over the P900 or Treo 600. It's almost embarrasing that business associates see me pull out this "cool" device to check my appointment, and then see me struggle to figure out how to make a note or record the appointment.

It's frustrating, because I really like the Moto as a phone and it's so close. But once AGAIN, M$ and their over-restrictive hardware requirements prevent me from being a satisfied customer.

I'm still waiting for a PPC Phone Edition device with a 2.8" screen & Bluetooth. If done right that will be the type of convergence device that will start to win significant market share.

whydidnt

gry
12-31-2003, 05:17 AM
This one's simple, Robert Levy picked the WRONG Smart phone or PDA phone to replace his 2-fisted approach to having a PDA and mobile phone.

For PPC, the O2 XDA II seems to be the current winner.
For POS, the Treo 600 IS the current winner.

Robert Levy, try either of these Smart/PDA phones and see if you write this article in the same manner.

I have a Treo 600 and it's simply awesome--touchscreen, grafitti2 with my thumbnail, Web browsing is nice, document editing is decent (there is extra scrolling), MP3s sound great, taking notes is simple, the battery life is mobile phone "normal" (plug it in every day but has all day use), apps like Telnet/SSH/FTP/VNc work great, the PIM works great, and the camera is great for capturing random moments (like capturing Paris Hilton walking down the street).

To each his, own.

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 06:10 AM
Haha - I just realized something about this "convergence" talk... It appears most of the people who say they have given up the two-device existence are using a headset. If this is true, they haven't really "converged" all that much!!
Yes you have. The headset is just a convenience factor. All the "logic" and the "information" is in one device -- address book, phone logs, tasks, etc. You don't have to carry the headset -- it's just useful for car/desk applications. I have an i700, without BT, and I don't mind holding the device up to my ear anytime. It's actually not that uncomfortable once you get used to it. Plus there's a speakerphone when I need to do both.

--janak

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 06:11 AM
This one's simple, Robert Levy picked the WRONG Smart phone or PDA phone to replace his 2-fisted approach to having a PDA and mobile phone.
I suspect part of the problem is that Robert might be too much of a power user to get all his needs fulfilled by the Smartphone. I've read lots of reviews where "end-users" very happy with the Smartphone solution.

--janak

CliffM
12-31-2003, 06:42 AM
I have often thought that my 5555 would make a great all-in-one device, if I just had a headset. I know some people who do the VoIP thing, but since I do not have a headset (yet!) I have not. I just wish the GSM card slot worked!! :)

I personally do the 5555/T610 combo, and I have to say it works really well for me. The phone is very small, I can slip it into any of my pockets (pants, shirt or jacket) so I am very rarely without it. The iPaq goes with me to work, shopping; especially grocery; or when I go out on the town. I do sometimes leave the iPaq home when I will be otherwise occupied or doing something active.

I don't think I would like to have *only* one device, especially in the phone size factor, but it would be neat if I could slip a GSM card into my iPaq every now and then and use a headset.

Majestic
12-31-2003, 02:49 PM
I have to say that I was VERY skeptical of the smartphone. I had (yes I am a smartphone owner now) an Ipaq 5455 with WM2003 and a microdrive on it etc etc. Now, I took a look at the i600 from Verizon and at first glance, it was cool. A little larger than I expected but much smaller than the Palm phone they had. After three visits to the store to play with it and hold it in my hand, I decided to take the leap.

I bought the i600.

Now, the biggest problem I thought I would have was text entry. I have found that so far, I don't need it much. The phone uses T9 text input (www.t9.com) so it works pretty much like itap that my moto 720 had. SMS messaging is easy. Entering names is easy. Long notes and the likes? No can do but I don't need to do it. Now I use the voice recorder note feature for notes that I need to transcribe later.

What I did to justify my purchase was draw up a list of what I did with my Ipaq. What applications do I run? What features do I use the most? I then used a simple grading system of, daily, weekly, monthly, rarely to grade the uses.

I found that GPS was used rarely although cool. I found that games were played weekly which did not make them a high priority for me. What I had as daily was email, web, calander and a few others. I convinced myself with pure logic that I could get by with a smartphone and lose the brick I wore on my hip since a 3600 to a 3835 to a 5455. All with the pc card sleeve to boot.

I am very happy with my smartphone now. It does what I thought it would do and even more. The voice recognition is fantastic and has yet to be incorrect for me with no training either. The voice notes work great for small reminders. Heck, with added software, I can even see who is calling me by picture instead of name caller id. :)

It has a few bugs. I am hoping that we get an upgrade to WM2003 for smartphones sometime soon.

Overall, I am pleased with my choice. Hope this helps with some other people who are on the edge.

Fred

aristoBrat
12-31-2003, 06:46 PM
It has a few bugs. I am hoping that we get an upgrade to WM2003 for smartphones sometime soon.
Hoping the same here on the upgrade -- WM2003 is supposed to be a lot faster, and PIE a lot nicer, so ... &lt;crosses fingers>

Just wanted to give my 2c that any bug/issue I've encountered on the Smartphone hasn't affected the the phone portion. IE may not connect via GPRS, my homescreen may show an all-day event from yesterday, but making/placing calls has always worked.

Majestic
12-31-2003, 07:16 PM
I have the same problem but we won't discuss that here. :)

my homescreen may show an all-day event from yesterday,

Ekkie Tepsupornchai
01-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Haha - I just realized something about this "convergence" talk... It appears most of the people who say they have given up the two-device existence are using a headset. If this is true, they haven't really "converged" all that much!!
Yes you have. The headset is just a convenience factor.
Right. Have to remember that many of us already carry a headset around with our "non-converged" cellphones (regardless of whether it's BT or not). If the headset is separately purchased strictly to get around the limitations of a converged device, then the original point could be worth considering, but I would assume for most of us, the headset is a phone "accessory" that we find useful for hands-free operation (not a phone replacement).

disconnected
01-01-2004, 04:46 AM
I've just gotten a t608 to use with my iPAQ, and I'm very happy with the combination (except for what appears to be very short battery life on the t608); it's way more convenient than the old cord-to-phone method.

I don't mind compromising on phone features, but I want all possible features on the PocketPC, and phone companies don't seem to keep up.

Also, in the past two months I've flown on Southwest and USAir, and on both, the onboard announcements have said that any device (including PDA) with a phone in it is NOT permitted at any time, even if the phone part is turned off. On one USAir flight, the attendant even asked me if my iPAQ had a phone in it. I'd be pretty unhappy if I coudn't use the iPAQ on planes.

that_kid
01-01-2004, 06:52 AM
I thought about convergence but in the end my 5555 and T608 make a great combination. I wish the T608 could have the battery life of the T610 but maybe that will improve with a firmware update(hmmm......). I'm not really an "all in one" kind of person so I will stick with my phone/ppc combo. I guess it all comes down to the person.

Phillip Dyson
07-22-2005, 02:20 PM
I found this old thread very interesting given the progresses and regresses that have occured over the past2/3 years.

I was originally against convergence because of many of the rich features I would have to give up. Like screen resolution, dual expansion, and processor speed.

I just purchased an Eten m500 for a trial run in the whole convergence arena. For a while I walked around with both a smartphone and PPC (check my sig for the devices). But always trying to find a place for both of them was a hassle. One on my belt, one in my pocket.

Plus keeping the data on both up to date was pretty near impossible.

Its strange, Phone Edition is truly a compromise between PPC and SMT. Not as strong in rich features (like the ones mentioned above) like the PPC and not as strong in the one handed navigation and operation as the smartphone.

WM5.0 is supposed to bring the Phone Edition closer to the ease of use of the Smartphone. We'll see.

If I decide that I like the phone edition platform, then I will decide whether I want to upgrade the device/OS towards the end of this year. By then I will probably also decide if I want an integrated keyboard or not.

Its strange, I'm not the proud owner of every flavor of the WM platform. Except PMC.