View Full Version : Are you busy?

Korlon
12-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Do you ever have one of those days where you just sit/stand/walk around your cube/office/whatever with nothing to do and wonder why you even came in to work today? Have you had jobs like that?

Or do you have a job filled with non-stop excitement, adventure, and really wild things? I can think of one in my employment history, and that was flipping burgers years ago. Never a dull moment. Not that I'd trade a PC and keyboard for a hot grill and a spatula (money aside).

Anyone else bored today, care to share their thoughts?

Jason Dunn
12-30-2003, 08:49 PM
I don't understand what the words "down time at work" mean. 8O

Janak Parekh
12-30-2003, 08:52 PM
I don't understand what the words "down time at work" mean. 8O
That's because you're your own boss. :razzing:

--janak

Steven Cedrone
12-30-2003, 09:01 PM
This week is proving to be very sloooowwww... :sleeping:

Steve

Jon Westfall
12-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Yea, my flipping-burgers job was the only one I've ever had that was action-packed. But since I worked at Food Avenue in a Target Store, I had a lot of downtime there as well. Today I fixed some stuff for a few clients, ate some lunch, talked to some friends on the cell phone (I find a correlation with the date I purchased my bluetooth headset and the rise in peak phone calls... prompting me to go to a 1000 min. a month plan - I was paying $20 in overage charges anyway). Anyway, I went downstairs to visit my mother (Home office) who was busy playing with her guinea pigs (http://www.scsipig.com), had one crawl up my neck and down my back, and I'm now sitting up at my desk, feet propped up, knowing full well I have about an hour of work I could be doing, but instead am rambling on here. God I love no-supervision jobs, unfortunatly the bubble bursts in a few weeks. Back to school, teaching, and having others depend on my timliness. But today, its smooth-sailing.

Jon.

Korlon
12-30-2003, 09:05 PM
This week is proving to be very sloooowwww... :sleeping:

Steve

Seems like the whole month has been slow for me. Before Christmas, I could ask to leave early with holiday shopping as an excuse. :D Now, however... I have a feeling that if I skip out too much, it might give somebody the wrong idea about the vital nature of my employment. :wink:

Jeff Rutledge
12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
I'm loving this week so far. It's the first slow week I've had in probably 2 years. I've had slower weeks of course, but this is a week when I can do some spring cleaning around my desk and drawers, do some of the things I've delayed for far too long. It's great!

I think the only reason it's so (nice and) slow is that I've been off for three weeks and just got back yesterday. All of my stuff has been handed off to someone else and most of them are still on holidays so they can't give it back to me. :mrgreen:

Plus, it doesn't hurt that my boss is off until Monday too.

dMores
12-31-2003, 01:10 AM
the only job i've had yet that was full-on-work was in a nissan warehouse. i had to fill little trolleys with new hoods, key-sets etc.
but since i'm in the multimedia business, there rarely is a time where i don't have some idle time.

what i don't understand, is why some other people can't understand the fact that you simply cannot work 8 or 10 hours straight without a "break" or some kind of distraction, whether it's deliberate (break) or not (idle time).
they monitor their employees, install some programs that register when and where they browse to, forbid checking of personal email etc.