View Full Version : Conversion of Ipaq File Store?

pususuti
12-30-2003, 02:44 AM
Just exploring the possibility of tweaking the Ipaq File Store memory to a normal ROM or RAM? Seems such a waste as I backup to an SD card.

Janak Parekh
12-30-2003, 02:52 AM
You mean "convert" the File Store into useable RAM? In short, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I've found that I use my File Stores only sparingly. ;)

As for ROM, that's an interesting question. Developers have done with the XDA, but to the best of my knowledge not with the iPAQ.

--janak

WyattEarp
12-31-2003, 09:25 AM
Just use it like regular RAM. It's only memory. I put programs that I feel should be in ROM anyway, don't need the faster load time of RAM and a few files I really don't want erased if the battery does dead.

Kowalski
01-01-2004, 11:03 AM
all the ipaqs have NAND flash roms. and axims have NOR flash. this means you cant execute programs directly from nand flash, programs are taken to main memory, executed there and this explains why we as ipaq users have to give up 10 megs of ram!
you can only use filestore for data storage.
i have 3.8 megs free ( owner of 2215) and never used file store, because i have a 256 meg SD card.
in the end if you have a storage card, can anybody point me why should i use file store area?

WyattEarp
01-05-2004, 03:14 AM
all the ipaqs have NAND flash roms. and axims have NOR flash. this means you cant execute programs directly from nand flash, programs are taken to main memory, executed there and this explains why we as ipaq users have to give up 10 megs of ram!
you can only use filestore for data storage.
i have 3.8 megs free ( owner of 2215) and never used file store, because i have a 256 meg SD card.
in the end if you have a storage card, can anybody point me why should i use file store area?

That statement is pretty much incorrect. Most PPCs have NOR flash ROM which can be used to run programs. Only some of the low-end iPAQs, and a few of the newer models from various other companies are starting to use NAND flash ROM because it costs them less but supposedly cannot direct-execute programs.

I have never had a PPC with NAND. I have had 3 iPAQs, the 3870, 3975, and my current 5555 and they all use the NOR flash ROM, which never gave a problem. I personally think all PPCs should be able to run programs from flash ROM. Storing files is not enough IMO.

If you need or want to be able to run programs from flash ROM you need to check which one it has on the user manual if you can find it on the companies website first.

Badandy
01-05-2004, 03:25 AM
can anybody point me why should i use file store area?

I did not read the entire thread so I apologize if this was already stated.

I use my file store simply for keeping my EWallet (Electronic Wallet) File. It won't get erased in a hard reset, and it is perfect for placing it there.

jalex
01-05-2004, 04:36 AM
I use the file store for email attachments (one of the Pocket Outlook options). I just noticed this PO option and thought I'd exploit it to save some of the main memory pool.

I really haven't found any other uses for it. I think storing anything there so that it survives a hard reset isn't the best idea as you'd lose the software that actually uses the file so you'd only have to re-install everything anyway (including the data file). Of course, I keep such things in the My Documents folder tree and keep that synchronized with my desktop PCs so I always have my data files backed up.

Hope this helps...

Kowalski
01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
That statement is pretty much incorrect.
i'm not sure all the ipaqs have nand flash, but i'm pretty sure that 2215 has nand flash

I did not read the entire thread so I apologize if this was already stated
yes you didn't even read the beginning of the sentence :roll:
what i wrote was: if you have a storage card, can anybody point me why should i use file store area?
this is the whole question.

Steven Cedrone
01-05-2004, 07:47 PM
if you have a storage card, can anybody point me why should i use file store area?

Nope... :wink:

I have a 2215 and do not use file store at all...

Steve

ChristopherTD
01-06-2004, 11:19 AM
I use my iPaq File Store to hold the current MS Reader book(s) that I am reading (because of a bug in Reader that prevents it resuming reliably when the book is on the Storage Card).

Other than that it is unused.

Badandy
01-07-2004, 03:43 AM
yes you didn't even read the beginning of the sentence :roll:
what i wrote was: if you have a storage card, can anybody point me why should i use file store area?
this is the whole question.

Ummm....ya. You said can anybody point me why I should use the file store area. And I replied, I use it for storing EWallet file insinuating that it is a possible use of it for you.

GODspeaking
01-07-2004, 09:35 PM
The only thing that I dont get is why would HP include this uselss space in their devices.

The purpose of the space as I see it is to store the backup file. I think it is pathetic including iPAQ Backup (I have the 2210) and including 3.8 mb of space that can hold the backup file. I've tried playing with this available space, and all I was able to backup was my PIM databases. Anything more than that results in the low space message and corrupted backup file. Also, the includied Nevo remote control software stores some files in the iPAQ File Store space and there is no way to change this. I would rather have 4 mb more in ram.

I do not know about other HP pdas, but I know that 2210 has only 3.8mb.
I've just came across a review of the new HP 1940 that is based on a Samsung CPU (http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040109/ipaq_h1940-06.html) and it has 13 mb of ipaq storage space. I do not see hp's strategy behind this. Anybody know if earlier devices had more ipaq file store space?

WyattEarp
01-08-2004, 07:27 AM
The only thing that I dont get is why would HP include this uselss space in their devices.

The purpose of the space as I see it is to store the backup file. I think it is pathetic including iPAQ Backup (I have the 2210) and including 3.8 mb of space that can hold the backup file. I've tried playing with this available space, and all I was able to backup was my PIM databases. Anything more than that results in the low space message and corrupted backup file. Also, the includied Nevo remote control software stores some files in the iPAQ File Store space and there is no way to change this. I would rather have 4 mb more in ram.

I do not know about other HP pdas, but I know that 2210 has only 3.8mb.
I've just came across a review of the new HP 1940 that is based on a Samsung CPU (http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040109/ipaq_h1940-06.html) and it has 13 mb of ipaq storage space. I do not see hp's strategy behind this. Anybody know if earlier devices had more ipaq file store space?

iPAQ FileStore amounts:
h38xx.... 20MB
h39xx.... 22MB
h41xx.... 0 MB
h43xx.... 0 MB
h54xx.... 20MB
h55xx.... 17MB

Anything under 16MB starts to become seriously useless IMO. I really miss the 22MB on my h3975.

Kowalski
01-08-2004, 11:01 AM
this is the scenario:
the use 32 megs of rom in most of the devices.
1945 use clipped version of operation system so some room is left that is pretty useful. but 2215 and 4150 uses all this space. so there is no room left especially on 4150. but 5555 has 48 megs of rom so again you come up with pretty of rom space.
here is what i think: 3.8 megs of space is obviously useless. HP could reserve this space for future upgrades and bug fixes.this way for example the bluetooth update would stay in rom and became a real part of the operation system

Janak Parekh
01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
HP could reserve this space for future upgrades and bug fixes.this way for example the bluetooth update would stay in rom and became a real part of the operation system
They don't have to "reserve" it. They could release a ROM upgrade that killed the Safe Store if they had to -- i.e., overwrite it with a larger ROM. However, I think it's extremely unlikely you'll see this, unless the 2215 is upgradeable to the next version of the Pocket PC OS and assuming it's bigger.

--janak

Badandy
01-09-2004, 03:25 AM
iPAQ FileStore amounts:
[list]h38xx.... 20MB
h39xx.... 22MB
h41xx.... 0 MB
h43xx.... 0 MB
h54xx.... 20MB
h55xx.... 17MB

Anything under 16MB starts to become seriously useless IMO. I really miss the 22MB on my h3975.

The 4155 and 4355 both have about 2.8 mb free. Small, but very worth while in my opinion (Ewallet file, and PIM backups).

Kowalski
01-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I think it's extremely unlikely you'll see this, unless the 2215 is upgradeable to the next version of the Pocket PC OS and assuming it's bigger.

janak here is a question especially to you: do you think that HP will make an upgrade to new operation system windows mobile 2004 or whatever for 2215?

i think it might be because 2215 sold very well and so many people use it that HP cannot make angry
i think it wont because i think that the new version will be bigger so wont fit into 32 megs of rom

what you guys think?

WyattEarp
01-09-2004, 06:26 PM
iPAQ FileStore amounts:
[list]h38xx.... 20MB
h39xx.... 22MB
h41xx.... 0 MB
h43xx.... 0 MB
h54xx.... 20MB
h55xx.... 17MB

The 4155 and 4355 both have about 2.8 mb free. Small, but very worth while in my opinion (Ewallet file, and PIM backups).

Didn't know that. It came up as 0MB when I read about it :? . Thanks for the Info.