View Full Version : Using BT headsets with a PC or PPC

bjornkeizers
12-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Hello all,

Here's an interesting question. Is it possible to use a Bluetooth headset [like those Jabra Freespeak headsets] with a BT-enabled PC or PPC?

I was looking at BT enabled phones and assorted headset, and started thinking: could I use this to replace my current wired set I use for my PC as well? Perhaps for voice chat or as a microphone / earbud for whatever?

So, would it be possible to use a BT headset with a PC through a BT dongle? Anyone try this?

freitasm
12-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Yes, you can use them with your PC. Make sure your USB or PC card adapter support the headset profile - even if the Bluetooth software supports it, there are some hardware requirements.

Some BT headsets can only be paired with one device at a time - easy to understand, in some of them when you press the button you're actually initiating the sequence for Voice Activated Dialling available in some mobile phones, in multiple pairings would create confusion.

It means that if you use with your PC you'll have to pair again with your mobile phone later. Not a big deal though.

There are no Pocket PC with headset profiles, although some registry tweaking is possible but not very good results - these are mono headsets!

More recent Pocket PC Phone Edition and Smartphones support the headset profiles (like the XDAII, MDA, i-mate/QTEK 2020, QTEK 8080, SPE-200).

Theo
12-30-2003, 10:13 AM
I've managed to get a Jabra Freespeak 250 headset to work with my iPAQ 5550 - I enabled the Freespeak in "enhanced searchable mode" (see the manual as to how) and my iPAQ found it. Once paired the iPAQ had it as a headset profile and I can listen to music from the PPC.

I don't know if the mic works though.

PM me if you need more info.

bjornkeizers
12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
So in theory, it should work?

Im thinking of buying a Jabra freespeak w/ multi adaptor, standard 2.5 mil jack so I can use it with my non-BT phone, and get a dongle so I can use it with my PC for things like voice chat - or even to walk to the kitchen without having to miss any songs or internet radio :D

You know, I'll give it a try. We'll see what happens.

bjornkeizers
12-30-2003, 07:25 PM
OK update!

I bought a Jabra Freespeak BT200 headset with a multi adaptor, 2.5 mm standard jack today. It just so happens they were on sale: I paid 89,95 for it, as opposed to the 150 euro you usually pay for one! Good deal!

The advantage to the standard 2.5 mm jack is I can use this with several of my phones. I have five phones, but none with bluetooth, would you believe? Several do have the 2.5 mm jack and the BT set works with varying results. It works great on my old Samsung A100, decent on my samsung C100 and it's really, really soft on my T100 [yeah, I'm a samsung addict!]

Also, as an added bonus, my Ipaq 1915 happens to have the very same jack...... and it works beautifully. The headset is paired to the adaptor, and the adaptor has the 2.5 jack which goes into the PPC. I tried it with a Flash movie - and it works absolutely fan-tas-tic!

Now I can walk around the room or watch movies / listen to audio while I'm on the train, without bothering anyone! And all wire free!

Plus, it looks really f'in cool. :lol:

Robb Bates
01-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Also, as an added bonus, my Ipaq 1915 happens to have the very same jack...... and it works beautifully. The headset is paired to the adaptor, and the adaptor has the 2.5 jack which goes into the PPC. I tried it with a Flash movie - and it works absolutely fan-tas-tic!

Be careful. The connector on the iPAQ is for a stereo headphones and the Jabra connector is for an earpiece and microphone. So even though you can hear sound through one channel, the other channel of the iPAQ is pumping sound into the microphone output of your Jabra. Output to Output. BAD IDEA! You may not notice anything immediately, but I'm sure you're going to degrade the performance of both devices to the point where one or both will break. I wouldn't do that any more if I were you.

Robb Bates

Kati Compton
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Be careful. The connector on the iPAQ is for a stereo headphones and the Jabra connector is for an earpiece and microphone. So even though you can hear sound through one channel, the other channel of the iPAQ is pumping sound into the microphone output of your Jabra. Output to Output. BAD IDEA!
I'm sure you're right in most cases, and probably this one. But I have a counterexample where input through output worked fine for years... Back when I had my Amiga, it had stereo sound output through RCA jacks. I had a CD/tape boombox with RCA jacks on the back... Cabled them together, and got computer sound out of my boombox. Few months later my now-husband points out that the jacks on the boombox were *outputs*. But I continued to use it that way for a couple years and it was fine. I was really surprised that worked.

But I wouldn't recommend it - this was probably an exception rather than the rule.