View Full Version : IBM Microdrive, how reliable are they?

PoweriPaq
12-29-2003, 10:41 PM
So I've been using my Microdrive for 2 months now, but had it for 2 years. But it's just been for 2 months that it has been worked like a horse. Playing movies is all it did, but just last week, it died on me. Can't even flash format, and none of my reader can recognize it. So how reliable are they?

I'm thinking of getting a 2Gig CF, non-microdrive version, but looking to return this to IBM if it's an option.

PetiteFlower
12-29-2003, 11:22 PM
I don't generally think of microdrives as very reliable at all, because of the moving parts. From posts here, it seems like most people don't get more then a year of use out of them. All hard drives are delicate, so putting one in a PPC that tends to get bumped and jostled and generally abused just doesn't seem condusive to a happy drive. Get some flash memory, it has no moving parts so it will be a lot more stable. Use less battery too.

SassKwatch
12-30-2003, 07:24 AM
So I've been using my Microdrive for 2 months now, but had it for 2 years.

My MD is ~ 1.5 yr old. These days it's pretty much relegated to duty in the digicam, so it doesn't get used daily, but occasionally goes in the iPAQ as well. Nary a problem.

Thus far, it 'just keeps on ticking'.....well, figuratively speaking, not literally. :)

Janak Parekh
12-30-2003, 04:38 PM
My MD is ~ 1.5 yr old. These days it's pretty much relegated to duty in the digicam, so it doesn't get used daily, but occasionally goes in the iPAQ as well. Nary a problem.
Mine lasted about two years before developing bad sectors. Now it's relegated to sitting in a case. :|

I love the idea, but I fear PF is correct -- the MDs just will have a smaller MTBF than flash media...

--janak

jkendrick
12-30-2003, 04:53 PM
I've been using my 1gb microdrive for almost 4 years now. It's never hiccuped, failed, slowed down, or anything. And it's never been reformatted either.

pocketpcfox
12-30-2003, 09:46 PM
I've been using my 1gb microdrive for almost 4 years now. It's never hiccuped, failed, slowed down, or anything. And it's never been reformatted either.

Wow! What is the make/model?

jkendrick
12-30-2003, 10:40 PM

Wow! What is the make/model?

It is Model # SDCM-11000 P/N 07N5648

Made in Thailand

Indicates it's a CF+ Type II 1 gb Microdrive

Linux_Zen
12-30-2003, 11:05 PM
I have a friend with a Toshiba e740 ... he got a 1-gig microdrive (IBM) and it died after 8 months of MP3s and ebooks (although I suspect a few short movies were on there that he played over and over ... if you catch the drift). So yeah, I would recommend Flash memory too. I know it's not much comparrison, but the 64MB CF flash card for my digi-cam has lasted out very well over the last 2 years.

It really stinks that microdrives seem so unrealiable. The technology showed much promise ... I mean, a hard-drive in the size of ... the metal part of a Floppy!

SassKwatch
12-31-2003, 01:56 AM
Mine lasted about two years before developing bad sectors. Now it's relegated to sitting in a case. :|

I love the idea, but I fear PF is correct -- the MDs just will have a smaller MTBF than flash media...

If I was looking to buy 1gb of storage space these days, I'd probably go with a card also. But at the time I purchased the MD, a 512mb CF card was going for almost twice the price of the 1gb MD. And SD...., well, 'fuhgedaboudit'.

IMO, the MD's have gotten something of a bad rap. Any time the subject of MD vs Flash memory comes up, almost without fail the first response will be how bad the MD suck battery life out of the device and that they all fail because of the moving parts.

And in truth, I do notice *somewhat* decreased battery life with the MD, but it's not a *dramatic* diff. I mean, it's not like you stick the MD in your pda and a loud sucking sound arises out of nowhere.

And while *in theory* it makes sense that a device with moving parts would be prone to a higher failure rate than one without, I've also heard quite a number of problem reports with failed Flash cards....or cards that work in some devices but not others, or some brands of cards that don't seem to be as reliable as others, yada yada Yodah. But we don't hear every user of a bad flash card jumping ship from that platform and going the other way.

Truth be told, I think it's all Ed's fault. If only he'd quit ranting against Bluetooth. :)

Ripper014
12-31-2003, 02:20 AM
I have had mine for about 4 years as well... and it has survived a few drops etc... and it is still working fine. I am not sure I could recommend it only because of the nature of the beast. Sure it offers high capacity storage... but it also consume copious amounts of battery power.

However there are some programs that allow you to be a little more conservative with your power... such programs like PocketMVP will let you buffer some of the data instead of having the Microdrive continuously spinning and drawing power....

The choice has always been and I guess always will be... storage capacity vs. battery life. If you are going to be by a power outlet I guess your choice is made easy... otherwise... choose wisely...

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 06:04 AM
If I was looking to buy 1gb of storage space these days, I'd probably go with a card also. But at the time I purchased the MD, a 512mb CF card was going for almost twice the price of the 1gb MD. And SD...., well, 'fuhgedaboudit'.
Of course.

IMO, the MD's have gotten something of a bad rap. Any time the subject of MD vs Flash memory comes up, almost without fail the first response will be how bad the MD suck battery life out of the device and that they all fail because of the moving parts.
I didn't really rant about it, did I? I was happy that I had the technology for two years. And I mitigated the battery life by using a caching music player and a iPAQ with a CF+ sleeve. The most annoying part of the MD was the spinup time, to be honest. :)

But we don't hear every user of a bad flash card jumping ship from that platform and going the other way.
Do consider, though, the number of flash cards sold every day compared to Microdrives. While I suspect Microdrive failures are in the single digit %s, I'm pretty sure it's a bit higher than flash...

--janak

SassKwatch
12-31-2003, 06:20 AM
I didn't really rant about it, did I? I was happy that I had the technology for two years.

Oh no, not at all. If my post implied that, I apologize.

When *I* ranted (if anyone was ranting, it was me :)) about MD's getting something of a bum rap, I was speaking in general terms.

PoweriPaq
12-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know the warranty life on these things? I'm thinking of sending mine back to IBM.