View Full Version : Keyboard for the 3970?

Jasmine
12-28-2003, 07:26 PM
I'm interested in getting a portable keyboard for my 3970 (OS=2002). I've seen several around (Targus, Belkin, HP) but I'm just not sure which one is best. I bought a fairly cheap one the other day and when I tested it out, I could see why it was so much cheaper than the others. Before I waste any more money, :( I was hoping someone could offer some advice?

Here's are some things that I'm after:
* decent action in the keyboard
* to be able to use my USB sync/charge cable at the same time as using the keyboard (I guess this means it has to be a wireless keyboard?). This point is particularly important to me! :)
* I saw that the wireless keyboards use batteries, and some you can use the pda's power pack as a direct power source -- this is cool.
* to be able to use the keyboard while the iPAQ is in landscape mode
* keyboard to fold away into a small and lightweight package (which they all seem to do anyway).

Thanks,

Jasmine.

Janak Parekh
12-28-2003, 10:08 PM
If you want to sync while using the keyboard using the cable, and not Bluetooth, than an IR keyboard is currently the only way to go. (Charging, on the other hand, may be possible with a sync connector-based keyboard.) IR is also useful for the landscape configuration as you state -- although I'm not sure how to change the keyboard's IR location.

As for which keyboard is good, I'd say you want to look closely at the Stowaway Wireless (http://www.thinkoutside.com/products/stowaway-infrared-ppc.html). I have never used it, but I've used other Stowaway keyboards and the quality is very good and it's easy to touch-type on them.

--janak