View Full Version : Understanding The Smartphone Target Market

Ed Hansberry
12-28-2003, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1403971,00.asp">http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1403971,00.asp</a><br /><br />There are a lot of devices out there for people on the go but these devices have specific target markets. When Tablet PCs were hitting the streets, a number of people posted that they were considering swapping their Pocket PCs for a Tablet PC. Well, that is fine, but the two have very little in common and shouldn't be compared to each other. Both products have areas they are strong in and both have areas they are weak in, but few areas overlap.<br /><br />Now I hear people considering the same switch to a Smartphone. Again, this switch may be OK as long as you realize that the Pocket PCs and Smartphones have little in common. If you are new to mobile devices, you should get a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of PDAs with phone features and smart phone devices and then start looking at devices. To put it bluntly, MS Windows Mobile Smartphones are <i>not</i> designed to compete with Pocket PC Phones ore other PDA/phone combos like the Treo 600.<br /><br />"Our early peeks at Microsoft's Smartphone platform—the phone-centric operating system that's part of the company's Windows Mobile family—didn't push our buttons. But now that we've had a chance to test the new Motorola MPx200 and the Samsung SCH-i600, we're ready to admit that our first impressions were wrong."<br /><br />The article goes on to explain some of the areas a Microsoft Smartphone excels in. Personally, I <i>am</i> anxious to get my hands on one, but it is to replace my Nokia 3650, not my iPAQ 2215. There are too many things I use a Pocket PC for that I couldn't imagine using a smart phone for, like writing posts at Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

ErectionJackson
12-28-2003, 02:24 PM
But considering this, it's important to realize that is isn't about how the platforms compare to each other. It's about what your demands are and which platform fits best to these wishes. Someone who wants to check and send e-mail on the road doesn't care about what other things a platform can do (as a matter of speech). If the smallest device can do just that, it's perfect. So competition is not about the features, it's about the offering of user demanded services.

Kris Kumar
12-28-2003, 05:01 PM
I feel that the Tablet PC market is well defined.

But the Pocket PC - Smartphone market does not have a clear distinction. Going forward 2004 and beyond. Smartphone sales will start eating into the Pocket PC market. All in one device is really appealing.

Like I have stopped syncing my Pocket PC. I keep only Smartphone up to date. Pocket PC is used for GPS Nav and MP3 player.

Its the Smartphone that travels with me everywhere I go. And I am waiting for better GSM coverage (which may not happen in my lifetime). But I am sure Verizon and Sprint will have it for lower costs, thus making it the best choice.

Also the AT&T like promos (amazon), where they are giving away the phone practically for free will also steal the Pocket PC share. I know AT&T does not have a big market. But I am sure end of 2004 or early 2005, Verizon and Sprint will start having similar promotions and thats when Pocket PC market will feel the pinch.

Rob Alexander
12-28-2003, 05:46 PM
For me, it's the combination of Tablet PC and Smartphone that could make me give up my PPC. I fully recognize the value of having the instant-on for checking things like appointments, tasks, etc. but the smartphone can do that. In addition, my major PPC apps (Listpro, eWallet and Traveller) all come in smartphone versions. Everything else I do on my PPC could be done with a Tablet PC, plus I'd gain the advantage of real Windows to run all of my applications. And the 15 second out of standby time for the Tablet PC would be fine for those. So if I had the option of having both a Smartphone (which I can't get in my area) and a smallish Tablet PC (which my college won't let me get), then I'd probably move on (evolve?) to a new era in my computing life.

hopeful797
12-28-2003, 09:51 PM
for me, the temptation is a smartphone for multimedia and the upcoming blackberry 7730 with a nice large color screen, instant email access, keyboard, true html browser, and ability to read (and with third party programs, edit) ms word files. if i had both of those, i'd be hard pressed to figure out what the ppc did better for my needs (other than having a larger screen for multimedia).

bbarker
12-29-2003, 04:15 AM
I would be interested in a Smartphone in addition to my Pocket PC if the Smartphone had Bluetooth. I'd use the phone as a phone and as a wireless modem for my PPC. I'd also keep it sync'd for access to my data when I don't take along my PPC. Currently I always have my PPC, but a Smartphone would allow me to leave it home at times.

ctmagnus
12-29-2003, 06:14 AM
I would be interested in a Smartphone in addition to my Pocket PC if the Smartphone had Bluetooth. I'd use the phone as a phone and as a wireless modem for my PPC. I'd also keep it sync'd for access to my data when I don't take along my PPC. Currently I always have my PPC, but a Smartphone would allow me to leave it home at times.

That's the only situation in which i would use a Smartphone.

NeilE
12-29-2003, 06:59 AM
There are too many things I use a Pocket PC for that I couldn't imagine using a smart phone for, like writing posts at Pocket PC Thoughts.

Ed, why can't you post using your Smartphone? T9 skills not up to snuff? :D

jhmd
12-29-2003, 08:02 AM
There are too many things I use a Pocket PC for that I couldn't imagine using a smart phone for, like writing posts at Pocket PC Thoughts. :)
I couldn't imagine reading ebooks on a Smartphone either, something that in a medical field is why we got a PPC.

krisbrown
12-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Latest, cough..Symbian smartphones 8)

http://www.sendo.com/smartphones/intro.asp

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/viewarticle.php?id=43

brianchris
12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Call me a tech slut, but I can see how a Bluetooth Pocket PC, Bluetooth Smartphone (MPx220 :drool: ), and a small Bluetooth laptop (like Jason's Fujitsu) OR Tablet PC would fit nicely together into my arsenal. The point is, I wouldn't carry all these things with me every day. Average work-day? I'd carry the PPC and Smartphone. Weekend trip to the grocery store? Smartphone by itself. Business trip? Laptop (or Tablet PC) and phone....etc. etc.

All that combined with my hosted exchange subscription (eOutlook, thanks to an awsome tip in a recent PPC Thoughts thread) means I'm covered in any scenario.

-Brian