View Full Version : 802.11 or Bluetooth for my 4150?

shawnc
12-27-2003, 02:39 PM
A question for the more technical folks of this community. My home set-up is 802.11g and I have a Dell desktop and Toshiba laptop connected (?) to it. The desktop is connected via cable and the wireless router and of course the laptop has internet access. THAT'S ALL I USE IT FOR. If I need to xfer files, print files, etc. I save to my SD card (sonce most of my work is from the laptop), go to the desktop and print (printer is connected to the desktop via wires i.e. no BT).

I finally got the nerve to try to introduce my 4150 to the equation. My understanding is that after a couple of clicks, my 4150 would find my network and automatically connect me to it. Well, I didn't think it would be that easy, but I was hopeful :wink: . Long story short, it did not find/connect to my existing setup.

This whole wireless thing makes me nervous and I don't want to do anything to mess up my current setup. My question is should I continue to try and tinker with my existing setup or maybe take the Bluetooth plunge. The Hawking BT dongle (what the hell is a dongle anyway???) Jason sent in the PPCT Weekly Digest seems reasonably priced and reliable (based on the writeup). I would have no problems with dropping $40 USD to introduce myself to BT.

3 specific questions that I would appreciate opinions on are (1) Will BT cause interference with my existing network? (2) Can I get to the internet on my 4150 with a BT setup or would only 802.11 accomplish that? (3) Is the Hawking dongle setup as easy as the article implies or are there others that may be easier/more reliable? I thought BT was much more expensive than this and would be willing to pay a few bucks more for added convenience (i.e. less frustration).

Thanx in advance for any help.

Wiggin
12-27-2003, 08:24 PM
This whole wireless thing makes me nervous and I don't want to do anything to mess up my current setup. My question is should I continue to try and tinker with my existing setup or maybe take the Bluetooth plunge...
3 specific questions that I would appreciate opinions on are (1) Will BT cause interference with my existing network? (2) Can I get to the internet on my 4150 with a BT setup or would only 802.11 accomplish that? (3) Is the Hawking dongle setup as easy as the article implies...
Shawnc... wireless is your friend!! :lol:
My suggestion is to tinker, and tinker some more. After you get everything talking together via wireless, you'll love it. Some quick answers to your 3 questions
1) No, it should have no impact
2) Both techniques can be used, but since your 4150 has WiFi, don't bother with the BT dongle... you don't need it
3) Probably, but I haven't used Hawking.

Do some searches in PPCT and you'll find all sorts of threads about how to get the WiFi working. Once accomplished, you should be able to have the PC, Laptop and PPC all see each other, all have WWW access, and yes, even ActiveSync without cables :way to go:

shawnc
12-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Wiggin,

You're the voice of reason and I know you're right. I just remember the experience I had when trying to get my current network to work. Very frustrating. I tried so many different things, I have no idea what I finally did to actually get it to work. But just like you indicate, once I got it, it was well worth the effort.

I'll probably take your advice and continue to tinker. Sometimes the path of least resistance is not the best one to take.

Thanx for the advice.

Janak Parekh
12-28-2003, 06:32 AM
I'll probably take your advice and continue to tinker. Sometimes the path of least resistance is not the best one to take.
Especially in a learning environment.

Here's my tidbit advice, though: first, print out all the configuration screens on your wireless router and on your PC (BTW, PrtSc is handy in that it'll capture the screen to the clipboard, thereby being an easy Paste in Word; Alt-PrtSc does the same, but only captures the "current window", which I find even more useful). This way, if you get stuck, at least you can return to a "known good" state.

--janak

shawnc
12-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Here's my tidbit advice, though: first, print out all the configuration screens on your wireless router and on your PC Janak

Janak, sounds like a good idea. Now for one minor detail, how do I display the wireless router configuration screens on my monitor?

Thanx,

Janak Parekh
12-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Janak, sounds like a good idea. Now for one minor detail, how do I display the wireless router configuration screens on my monitor?
Well, you go into the configuration menu of the router. For some there's a piece of software that came with it, for others you access a webpage (i.e., something like http://192.168.0.1). Your wireless router's manual would tell you how to log into it.

Mind you, you only need to do this for things whose settings you're changing. :) Nevertheless, keeping documentation is useful at times.

--janak

shawnc
12-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Your wireless router's manual would tell you how to log into it.--janak

Hmmm.....reading the documentation. Now there's a thought :wink: . Thanx for the advice. I think I'll tinker with it today.

shawnc
01-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Especially in a learning environment.

Here's my tidbit advice, though: first, print out all the configuration screens on your wireless router and on your PC (BTW, PrtSc is handy in that it'll capture the screen to the clipboard, thereby being an easy Paste in Word; Alt-PrtSc does the same, but only captures the "current window", which I find even more useful). This way, if you get stuck, at least you can return to a "known good" state.

--janak

Janak,

Thanx again for your help. I think I found the problem and I can't tell you how gratifying it is for a lowly "bean-counter " to figure this stuff out. I took your advice and printed out my settings and even found a Linksys on-line manual during the process. While reading the manual, I noticed that during the configuration process I was asked whether my network was completely 802.11g or mixed. Since I purchased both the PC Card and Router at the same time, I figured that I probably selected G only.

I went back and changed it to Mixed, and wa-la, Internet on my ipaq. As always, I made it much more difficult than it needed to be, but I learned sooooo much in the process.

Thanx again for your help and advice.

Janak Parekh
01-01-2004, 09:31 PM
:clap: Congrats! This is the way "experts" are eventually born -- by trial and error. I can't count the number of times I messed & fixed stuff up.

Mind you, when you have 802.11b devices on the network, the "g" subnetworks' performance will decrease a little bit. However, I assume you're not running heavy applications, and as such probably won't see much of a difference.

Now you can sit in the den and watch TV & surf in the palm of your hand... 8)

--janak

shawnc
01-01-2004, 09:40 PM
MY FIRST WIRELESS POST! MY FIRST WIRELESS POST! MY FIRST WIRELESS POST! MY FIRST WIRELESS POST! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know you folks are thinkin "big stinkin deal", but for me it really is!

Let the surfing begin.

Linux_Zen
01-01-2004, 11:00 PM
w000000t! Nice! Now if only I could bring myself to buy a new PDA ... not ... until ... the SUMMER?! GAH!

Ahh well. Congrats on your networking ... working ... ;)