View Full Version : Problem Using Windows Media Encoder to Watch TV on PPC

JaredW
12-26-2003, 02:08 PM
I have seen the various sets of instructions for using Windows Media Encoder to send streaming video to one's Pocket PC. I've followed the instructions and everything seems to work... except that the video is green and purple!

And it's not just on my PPC. The video input viewer in WM Encoder shows the video in shades of green and purple and the output looks the same on any other device on my network, my Dell Axim included.

I have tried broadcasting for other than the PPC. Other video sizes and compressions, etc.

The problem wouldn't appear to be related to my video card or the video input, as other programs, from Windows Movie Maker to Helix to ATI TV Viewer, show the video with proper colors. Only Windows Media encoder turns everything to green and purple.

I'd really like to stream video to my PPC, but such coloring makes watching the video unbearable. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problems?

If needed, I can provide screenshots.

Thanks for your time.

PoweriPaq
12-26-2003, 08:23 PM
The problem is the video feed from TV to your Tuner card. I had the same problem and I fixed it by moving the cables around and reroute the cable from any power outlet or power cable that makes the signal hum.

JaredW
12-26-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the reply and suggestion, but unfortunately, that didn't work. I tried plugging the video device (a wireless video receiver which does work with other programs) into another outlet across the room. Same results. I pulled out the RCA composite video cables I had been using in favor of coaxial cable, which my video card also supports. Once I switched the settings over to "cable" from "composite," the video worked fine once again -- in every other program.

But not in Windows Media Encoder, in which the video is still green and purple. I really don't know what else to check. Any ideas?

Aquatic
12-28-2003, 03:18 PM
so it sounds like you have the signal getting to the PPC, that's the hard part!

I too had the EXACT problem you did...the feed looks like a color negative of what it should be. Here's what I did to fix it.

1) visited WINDOWSUPDATE and got up to date with patches, etc, especially DirectX9.0b

2) got the latest WME..I think it's also version 9 installed it.

3) Grabbed and installed the latest drivers for my ATI all in wonder video card.

4) watched TV on my PPC :)

yep, that's all it was--just making sure you are up to date with drivers for your video card, system updates, WME and it should be 100%.

Keep us posted as to how it's going! Good Luck!

JaredW
12-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas, but sadly, once again, no success.

I ran ALL the Windows updates, installed DirectX 9.0b (I had 8.1 or something like that). I already have thee latest version of Windows Media Encoder, v. 9, but I uninstalled it then redownloaded and reinstalled just to leave no stone unturned.

I went to ATI.com and found the latest driver for my ATI All In Wonder 128. I was rather sure that I already had installed this driver, so I tried Windows Media Encoder again at this point to see if anything else had made the difference. Still having the same problem, I went back to the ATI site, downloaded and installed the latest driver.

After restarting (something I did many times throughout this process), I tried WME again. The video was still green and purple. Nothing changed.

Thanks for taking the time to assist.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd really like to hear them!

DimensionZero
12-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I don't know much about encoding video for the PPC but would it be a posibility that the codecs are acting up? If it's Divx, maybe resintall the codec?

That's my best guess since it seems to be fine until you encode the signal.

Check out the codec settings to make sure nothing's screwy...

Ripper014
12-30-2003, 08:40 AM
If it makes you feel any better I am having the same issues... the streaming was easy to set-up... but my video is green and a hot pink (purple)...

jalex
12-30-2003, 03:51 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

I just got done replying to this (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=215d9801f2ad443725efd172efab9558&threadid=97260) thread at Brighthand.

I'm sure it's to do with the way Windows Media Encoder is abusing the input signal or simply not letting me adjust the input settings. As I said in the thread, it works fine with other encoders (and, of course, it works fine with my TV application, etc.).

One thing I didn't mention though was that I've tried this in both Windows 2000 and Windows XP (I'm guessing the drivers are quite different) with exactly the same results!

I'm going to take another look at the Microsoft web site...

Aquatic
12-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Hmm.. okay with the ATI AIW 128, did you just upgrade the drivers or did you do the "media center" update as well.... There appears to be 3 categories on the ATI site... Display drivers, Tuner/Capture software and DVD software. As I recall, I also updated my "multimedia center" stuff....the tuner, playback, etc. down load and update that stuff as well.

I'm seeing MMC version 7.2 as the latest: Get it here (http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/mmc72nodvd.html)

Try that and see what you get if you haven't already. That green/purple stuff is just is NOT watchable.

Good luck!

JaredW
12-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Aquatic,

I did install the new Multimedia Center in addition to the drivers. That made no difference either, however. At this point, I have no idea why Windows Media and my ATI capture card don't work together, but it sure seems that I am not alone in experiencing this problem.

I found this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/service_provider/hardware/default.aspx) when searching the Microsoft site for solutions. It seems to indicate that the last version of Encoder that works with ATI All-In-Wonder cards is v. 4.1, which I have not been able to find for download anywhere. I know it would be extremely old and outdated, but if it could get the job done, I don't need a whole lot of extras.

The strange thing is that Windows Media Encoder, the "easy" broadcaster, doesn't work, while Helix Producer, which requires one to install a server to even bother trying, does! I installed the Helix Server on my computer and can actually broadcast video using Producer and Server simultaneously. Unfortunately, the PocketPC version of RealOne supports only up to RealVideo Codec 8.x, while the free version of Helix Producer only supports RealVideo 9. I have an older version of Producer that can handle RealVideo 8, but unfortunately, that software doesn't allow for any settings changes for the video input, so the video, while working, is enormous and unresizeable. Certainly not going to fit on a Pocket PC screen.

Everything, it seems is one step away from working. Windows Media works, except everything's green and purple. Helix sees the video right but isn't compatible with the mobile version of RealOne. And RealProducer 8 sees the video and is compatible, but the only video size is about four times too large.

Really frustrating.

Mitchybums
12-31-2003, 04:45 AM
for drivers for my ati tv wonder value, I have to install another update as wel, its some doa something (jus look at the drivers)
also you can try snapstream/beyond tv
this only uses the drivers of your tv card, and the windows media codec.
go from there.
maybe download and reinstall windows media player
(www.snapstream.com)

Aquatic
12-31-2003, 05:28 PM
JaredW....

man, "I feel your pain"... All updated and no where to go. Okay. The post above mentions something interesting.. you all updated with WMP 9 on the PC and the PPC as well? the pPC should be, but check your system.

I checked out the page you mentioned, and I won't swear to the accuracy... the card I'm using is an ATI AIW, albeit the newer "Radeon" version--basically a 7000/7200 AIW card. I know I'm using the latest WME. I won't swear to what worked for me either since I updated EVERYTHING all at once to get things up to speed, so I don't know if it's the drivers, MMC, DirectX, etc that I did the trick.

Let's checklist again....

O/S: XP SP1+patches or 2000 SP4+patches
WME: 9
WMP: 9
ATI: latest Catalyst/drivers for AIW128, latest MMCenter

normal TV viewing works find in windows with MMC.
WME distorts the video...

Hmm.. okay.. quick question....just troubleshooting... when you get WME up, you can show either INPUT STREAM, OUTPUT STREAM or both.... pull up both. Same picture with bad video?

Check the input, should be TUNER, and I don't think I had to "tweak" anything else.. but I'll double check when I get home tonight.

----------------

I'm behind a major firewall at work..so I can't get streaming stuff...so I'm looking at connecting to the stream at home, bringing up WME and putting the stream on port 443, and trying to access it from work. I know I can get out/in on 443, so... that's a thought.. perhaps port 80 as well. Talk about making communications work with tin cans and string! :)

hydrae
01-18-2004, 06:30 PM
I had the same problems. After trying different things I enabled Pixel format to "UYVY" (instead of default). This did the trick to me.

Try out the following for Windows Media Encoder 9:
1. Go through the "New Session" wizard till you click "Finish" to see the video with Green saturation. DONT click "Start Encoding" yet.
2. Click on "Properties" and select "Processing" Tab
3. Inside the "Video" section. Click on "Pixel Format:" dropdown
4. Select "UYVY" and click "Apply"
5. Hit "Start Encoding"

At this point your video should be normal.

JaredW
01-18-2004, 07:45 PM
hydrae,

Thanks so much! I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly!

A few notes to anyone else who tries this method: make sure you have "allow interlacing" checked. It didn't work until I did that. And don't be deterred by a "Not Supported" message appearing in the preview viewer. I don't know why that appears, but when you click Encode, everything works.

Aquatic
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Great call on the pixel thing... I tried that one too and didn't get anywhere with it--perhaps that's a video card/chipset specific thing. If it worked or didn't work for you to fix the problem, I'd suggest you post your make of card and driver version, so we can build up a little information base for others who may have the same issue and need help!

OUTstanding! :)

ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder, Latest Catalyst Drivers, pixel format default. I'll have to check on the interlacing thing..

(ed: I typed in MY vid card, not the right one... :roll: )

JaredW
01-19-2004, 02:36 PM
I've played around with it some and it's now working with or without interlacing.

ATI All in Wonder 128 with latest drivers from ATI.com, pixel format UYVY.