View Full Version : Sharing wired LAN connection to wireless PPC?

craigvalk
12-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Not even sure if I can do this..but here goes the question
I have:
Laptop PC running Win 2000 pro.
Laptop is connected to wired network in my office via ethernet card.
Laptop also equipped with wireless card that I use at home and on the road.

Have a Ipaq3955 running PPC2002, and wireless card.

Is it possible to set up a connection where the PPC can access the Internet in my office via the laptop? Maybe even synchronize it?

I hope my general "newbieness" isn't making you laugh! :-)

I am wondering if it's even possible for the two wireless cards to talk to one another without a wireless access point to the network being present.

Thanks in advance

Craig

trustn
12-25-2003, 12:43 AM
This is definitely possible and I just got done figuring it our for myself.

There are a few links you can try reading up on first but most the content is for Windows XP and not Windows 2000.

http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

I'll provide some quick steps below but other users may have something better (with screenshots).

1. Install PocketWINC on your Pocket PC. This will help troubleshoot your wireless connections but most people use it for war driving.
http://www.cirond.com/site/products/wifispotter/tech_overview.htm

2. On the laptop, the wireless card should be set in Ad Hoc mode.

3. On the laptop, setup sharing under your Network Properties for your laptops built-in NIC (the connection to your office LAN). You'll need to have a proxy server available on your local LAN or you won't be able to visit webpages.

4. Setup ActiveSync so that it allows network and RAS connections.

There's a lot of little steps involved with the above and a lot I've left out. I just wanted to let you know it was possible. Reply back to the thread and I'll try to put together a better walk through after the holiday.

Season Greetings.
-T

craigvalk
12-26-2003, 03:30 AM
Thanks Man, appreciate it. I am on vacation so when I get back to the office I am going to give this another try. May ping you back for some advice....

Craig