View Full Version : Convergent Technology Selling ETEN Pocket PC Phones

Janak Parekh
12-24-2003, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.convergentech.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.convergentech.com/</a><br /><br /></div>I don't know these guys well, but it's interesting to note that they're selling the ETEN P300 and P700 Pocket PC Phones; the first one is the unit that has a 2.8" display and is fairly compact, while the second one is one of the first Pocket PC Phones with an integrated CF (type I) slot. I haven't seen reviews of the latter, so I'm curious how good it is.

Diane Dumas
12-24-2003, 02:23 PM
I've had one of these units from Convergent Technology for about a month and have written a review of it for Pocket PC magazine. It should be in the next issue of the magazine that we're working on now.

rpommier
12-24-2003, 02:42 PM
is it a positive review?

Diane Dumas
12-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Despite a few short comings, this is a good unit. I like the form-factor and the control layout. The screen is readable outside and is full PPC resolution (240x320) in the size of 2.8", but only has 4K color because of a 12 bit display. The "action" button is a mini-joystick and works amazingly well. I like it. Battery life is around one-day of use, barely. Sound quality playing an MP3 through the external speaker is fantastic! I am used to the voice quality of the Sprint Vision network, so my comments on call audio quality would be very biased. It's not bad though. I would buy it if I was not a loyal Sprint user (read CF-2031).

Gerard
12-24-2003, 06:22 PM
I emailed Convergent a month ago asking for ordering information for the Chi Mei GSM/GPRS CF card they have on their site. Still no answer. Is there some super-secret email address one could user to which they might actually respond? I used their 'contact' link from the page with the CF card on it. Seems if they're actually interested in selling a product, they'd reply. I tried the purchase link, but got a bizarre error page - like some kind of diagnostic run-down of everything that went wrong with that link-click.

orinoco
12-25-2003, 05:49 PM
[email protected]
[email protected]

Gerard
12-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Thank you very much for those addresses. Might be a better thing to avoid posting spambot-harvestable email addresses though, using something like karen @ convergentec.com or whatever works for you. All I had was the link they provide, sales@ etcetera. I'll write after the holidays and see what comes of it.

shk718
03-09-2004, 08:51 PM
I've had one of these units from Convergent Technology for about a month and have written a review of it for Pocket PC magazine. It should be in the next issue of the magazine that we're working on now.

Hey Diane - i just got a copy of the new pocket pc mag and read your article. Very nice article. looks like a neet phone but the battery life sounds dismal compared to the sony/erricsson p900 (16hrs talk vs. 3hrs for the p300). if the battery life was longer and the size a bit smaller (p900 is a bit smaller) this would be my perfect device. Since your in the know have you heard anything about the asus-a8100? i so want a pocket pc phone in the form factor of the p900.