View Full Version : mapping network drives?

nosmohtac
12-23-2003, 01:09 AM
I'm new to the world of WiFi, and was wondering how to map drives from my desktop on my laptop.
I know there are programs like netuse, and resco file explorer for the pocket pc, but do I need something similar for my laptop?

Right now if I right like on <My Computer> and select<Map Network Drives> It will only allow me to view what's in the shared folder.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Kenepp
12-23-2003, 02:03 AM
What OS are you using (XP)

I have never used XP but I am sure that the process is the same. You will only be able to map a network drive to a shared folder on the other computer. If you can navigate through network neighborhood (My network places?) to the other folder and view the shared folders, just right-click on them and select "Map network drive"

If you want to map something other than the current shared folder, you will need to create a new share for the folder you want to map.

I would assume that it is the same for XP as it is for 2000/NT.

Am I getting at what you are trying to do?

nosmohtac
12-23-2003, 04:34 AM
Yes, your on the right track, but I use my laptop for work as well. I have Windows XP Home. I have two accounts set up. One for personal and one for business. When I am connected to the LAN at work, I can map any of the network drives that I am authorized for. I just thought that it would be the same on a home network. I figured I could map the C: or D: drive off of my Desk top on my laptop, so I could see everything.

Suntech
12-23-2003, 04:51 AM
Yes, it will work the same, just remember whatever Lan you connect to (Work-Home) you will get an error that the laptop could not connect to all network drives. Hope that helps. :)

Wiggin
12-23-2003, 09:22 AM
I just thought that it would be the same on a home network. I figured I could map the C: or D: drive off of my Desk top on my laptop, so I could see everything.
Just a suggestion, which I'm sure you've already thought of, but be sure that the Home Logon ID has Administrative rights to the laptop :way to go:

Sven Johannsen
12-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Yes, your on the right track, but I use my laptop for work as well. I have Windows XP Home. I have two accounts set up. One for personal and one for business. When I am connected to the LAN at work, I can map any of the network drives that I am authorized for. I just thought that it would be the same on a home network. I figured I could map the C: or D: drive off of my Desk top on my laptop, so I could see everything.

You can. You just have to know what they are called. You either name them when establishing a share, the normal way, or you use their default administrative share name, \\MyComputerName\C$, for the C drive for instance. Administrative share of course implies an administrator account.

nosmohtac
12-25-2003, 11:38 AM
You can. You just have to know what they are called. You either name them when establishing a share, the normal way, or you use their default administrative share name, \\MyComputerName\C$, for the C drive for instance. Administrative share of course implies an administrator account.

I tried ,\\MyComputerName\C$ and it didn't work. I don't understand, since my shared folder is mapped as \\MyComputerName\SharedFolder.

Sven Johannsen
12-25-2003, 12:48 PM
I tried ,\\MyComputerName\C$ and it didn't work. I don't understand, since my shared folder is mapped as \\MyComputerName\SharedFolder.

Should work. Couldn't gather from the various posts. Do you have XP Home on both the laptop and desktop we are talking about?

Also try putting \\MyComputerName\C$ in the window when you select the RUN option from start. Should pull up a browser window at that drive, or at least a login box if it needs authentication.