View Full Version : Watching your computer on TV...can it be done wirelessly?

tregnier
12-21-2003, 03:09 PM
I just bought a new computer (hp m370n) that has a lot of mulitmedia capabilities...one of which is recording television to the hard drive. My TV, however, is in another room from my computer. I would like to avoid stringing wire to the TV so I'm looking for a wireless solution.

I've looked at "media hubs" which send music files and still pix files (802.11b) but I haven't seen anything that will allow me to send the saved TV files (whatever they are). I can connect the TV using a long video cord and designating the TV as the primary monitor, but this is a cumbersome work-around.

Do any of you tech junkies have some ideas on how I should approach this from a wireless standpoint?

Thanks in advance!

Ed Hansberry
12-21-2003, 08:13 PM
moved to OT since it isn't PPC related.

I am 99% sure you cannot use the TV/Video portion of a Media PC remotely. I know the Modia Center UI cannot be launched form Remote Desktop.

tregnier
12-21-2003, 08:20 PM
I am 99% sure you cannot use the TV/Video portion of a Media PC remotely. I know the Modia Center UI cannot be launched form Remote Desktop.

What I thought I could do is to set my TV as the secondary monitor (assuming a wired video connection), open Media Center, and then switch the TV to primary monitor so the signal will go to the TV. Whaddaya think?

I'm pretty sure this would work, but what I really want is a wireless solution.

koro
12-22-2003, 03:31 PM
The only device I've seen that can wirelessly stream video is the Sony Roomlink (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=PCNAMR10).

But this requires a Sony Vaio PC :(

tregnier
12-22-2003, 03:54 PM
It seems that the Sony Roomlink should work with other PC's. After all, they are using Windows XP...but then Sony seems to try to create hardware that is not compatible with other systems. I have asked Sony Customer Service whether or not the Roomlink will work with PC's other than Sony's.

aroma
12-22-2003, 04:55 PM
There are a number of devices, some can be found at Radio Shack, that are designed to wirelessly transmit video from an RCA style input. (Red / White / Yellow plugs) I belive even everyone's favorite pop-up king, X10, offers this type of device: http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk57a.htm