View Full Version : Which Software Should I Avoid?

Paula
12-20-2003, 05:45 AM
I'm going in a different direction than most. :D

I am waiting for my ipaq 2215 to arrive from the USA (10 weeks and still waiting, but a new PPC was just mailed, so there is still hope). :?

What I would like to know is what software should I aviod loading on my ppc? I am new to all of this, as this is my first PPC. :oops:

What software isn't Mobile 2003 compatable?
what software usually causes freezes?
what software isn't compatable with most other software?
What software should be avoded at all costs because it is just...awful?

I am hoping this information will help me avoid frantic posts 8O to this forum.

Happy Holidays :)
Paula

sublime
12-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Wisbar Advance - I had trouble with it. It looks very pretty, but I could not access my start menu with it activated.
Pocket Controller - Installation of it resulted in my PPC doing very weird things

I, too, use the 2210, but that does not mean that you shall suffer my troubles. You might get lucky. I didn't.

Fishie
12-20-2003, 09:07 AM
2210/2215 here as well and no problems whatsoever with Wisbar Advanced.

Lex
12-20-2003, 01:46 PM
I avoid anything from software sites with -no- screenshot displayed.

If they don't have tech skill to post a screenshot wonder what the app will do to my PPC?

But in 2 years of using an iPAQ 3845 the only app that created a hard crash was one that came on the CD packaged with the 3845 !

I've tried some crummy apps but they deleted fine and left little or no mess to clean up.

AggieJon
12-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Pocket Controller - Installation of it resulted in my PPC doing very weird things

I'm sure everyone has different experiences with just about any program. I have a 2215 and have had no problems with Pocket Controller. In fact, I really like it! :) It likely has conflicts with some other programs that you may install on your PPC, but I have not had any conflicts.

Possum48
12-20-2003, 06:17 PM
that do not allow "free" trial downloads. If the software has this option you can then try it and see if it works and does the job for you that you thought it would do and also if it will even work with your operating system.

Most all excellent programs will offer this option and they will also offer the full blown version of the app as this trial download. Only thing these programs are usually limited in the time you can use it free or by the number of entries you can use it for.

Paula
12-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Thank you everyone. Trying out software is a good idea, but I know I will panic if something goes wrong. :wink: I will do it though. I have been collecting the lists of the software that people use and will hope for the best when I decide what I want. I think I will be sticking with the tried and true software until I get some experience under my belt. The one thing I don't understand is why does one piece of software work on one machine and not another (same model).

If you think of anything else please let me know.

Cheers and Happy Holiday :)
Paula

tanalasta
12-21-2003, 06:03 AM
It's not just the model that affects whether a software will run but many other factors such as the OS, other installed/running programs, available memory and where the program is installed etc etc...

However, which programs you ought to buy really depend upon what you intend to use your pocketpc for. And what tweaks you want for your device... Are you using it as a PIM? or an ebook reader? a gadgety toy? playing games? And do you want to make the today screen prettier and more functional? If you could tell us what you want, maybe we could come up with some programs that would suit your needs ;) I'm sure however you've already read the threads on "must-have" programs.

It is always a good idea to have a backup (if you have an IPAQ the sprite backup installed is good as activesync is very very very slow...) before you fiddle around with new trials/programs. And perhaps also a backup of your storage card. That way, if things stuff up you can always restore your device to "as it was" in about 2 minutes flat! And you can actually use Sprite's Backup Premium program in trial mode for this purpose if you don't have it! :)

sublime
12-21-2003, 06:38 AM
I'd tell you to also avoid Remover. It's a great concept, but too risky. I had to reinstall a couple of programs as a result of its use.

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Backups...

If you are worried about apps forcing you to Hard Reset your device, make a backup prior to each install...

The 22xx series has a version of Pocket Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup.html) on it. Take advantage of it... :wink:

Steve

Ripper014
12-21-2003, 11:12 AM
I have to totally disagree with "Remover" it's actually a great program in the hands of someone who is aware of what he/she is removing. As with any programs that can impact the registry or important files... it is dangerous to play things you are not sure of.

I personally think the better tack would have been to ask what programs you should consider using... and if you come across something you want to try ask if anyone has tried it. People here are more than willing to give their experiences...

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2003, 05:11 PM
I have to totally disagree with "Remover" it's actually a great program in the hands of someone who is aware of what he/she is removing. As with any programs that can impact the registry or important files... it is dangerous to play things you are not sure of.

Remover is a great utility, but it can make a mess of a device in the wrong hands... :wink:

Yet another great reason for doing frequent backups...

Steve

sublime
12-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Are you implying that I am an idiot? No? Well, you should.

Paula
12-22-2003, 08:56 AM
Thank you everyone for your help. I know backups are very important and that will be the first thing I attempt after I load a few apps.
I just have to decide which ones should be loaded first.

Tanalasta: I plan on doing everything with the 2215. My main use during the day will be taking notes and creating work documents. BUT after that I will be using it to watch movies, playing games, read email, read ebooks, browse the internet and whatever else comes up.

Cheers
Paula :)

Lex
12-22-2003, 01:06 PM
My Jr. High School coach told us "if you're angry that you're out of beer when you get home, you're headed toward alcoholism."

If -we- can't separate ourselves from our PPCs, and we drop it or it stops working... how will we react?

Let's all remember to get outdoors and get some fresh air ! There's a big non-digital side to life.

(Can you jog without listening to MP3s on your PPC ?)

Now, me; I can stop -any- time I want to. :wink: