View Full Version : Axim X5 Basic No More?

Ed Hansberry
12-18-2003, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs">http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs</a><br /><br />It seems Dell has quietly dropped the Axim X5 Basic. The Basic is outwardly an identical twin to the X5 Advanced but has a slower processor, 300Mhz vs 400Mhz, less RAM and ROM, 32MB vs 64MB and 32MB vs 48MB respectively and didn't ship with a cradle.<br /><br />The X5 Advanced is still on Dell's site for $278 and of course the X3 and X3i (wireless) is there. Given the X5 came out in November of 2002, it is downright ancient in PDA terms. :) I suspect Dell is clearing out their old inventory and the long rumored X7 may be on the way.

Timothy Rapson
12-18-2003, 02:37 PM
I have been disappointed in Dell this year. I expected a $149 X3 as promised, but the X3 is selling for more than the X5 basic did and is even more expensive than the sleek Ipaq H1935!

Dell really missed a chance to save users money and increase functionality by including a CF slot in the X3. It is already bigger than either the Toshiba or HP competing models. It needs to be cheaper than they are, but it isn't.

I heard 6 months ago that the X3 was going to replace the X5 altogether. Looks like Dell had more X5 advances in stock than X3s. I guess when they are sold they will be no more. I have not heard anything about any X7. From what I understand the X3 wifi model is what the X7 was supposed to be.

Ah, well.

dh
12-18-2003, 02:49 PM
I've not been thrilled by Dell this year either. I love my X5 and have been impressed with Dell's support - ie replacement shipping service. I would be happy to buy my next PDA from them but they haven't come up with anything yet.

I wanted a low cost PPC for my daughter and ended up with a $145.00 e355. I would have got a basic X3 had it been in this price range. I would like to upgrade from my X5 too, but Dell has no offering at all to do this. I'm enjoying 1.5 GB of memory between my CF and SD cards so I'm not in the market for any single slot device.

So if Dell wants my business, the X7 had better arrive, complete with great specs, before I get tempted by something else.

hopeful797
12-18-2003, 03:28 PM
it can still be ordered at the small biz website. you just have to order the X5 advanced and then choose a 300mhz processor optin and dump the cradle.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm so not interested in the X3i, I'm looking into the Ipaq 4150/55...

The X3i is not what I really expected, and for crying out loud it's only their second PDA and ALREADY THEY'RE CHANGING THE DAMNED CONNECTOR ON THE UNIT.

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.

I'm seriously underwhelmed by the X3i enough to move to another brand even though I love my X5... I wonder if its sales have matched that of the X5 at all?

shawnc
12-18-2003, 05:37 PM
The X3i is not what I really expected, and for crying out loud it's only their second PDA and ALREADY THEY'RE CHANGING THE DAMNED CONNECTOR ON THE UNIT.

Couldn't agree more. Dell had me right where they wanted me. With an X5 and ready to upgrade to integrated wireless with a smaller form-factor. I eagerly waited for the X3. Once released, I was soooo disapointed. Thought about not upgrading at all, then got a look at the 4150. The rest is history.

Modified - I don't mean to disparage the X3 as I'm sure it is a great machine. It's just, based on the functionality/price-point of the X5, I was expecting a bit more. However, if the X3 performs anywhere near the X5, X3 owners will love it.

Rondjones54
12-18-2003, 05:59 PM
I'm waiting for the X15!

Really...I have an X3i. I've owned a casio e-125, Compaq 3850, 3950, and an HP 2210. Oh, and I had a Jornada 620 once.
I like the X3i. It's fast, has a great screen, wifi is fun to work with.

David Prahl
12-18-2003, 10:49 PM
I agree with most of you - Dell should've dropped the X3 basic price more, or the decreased the price of the X5 basic to $150 or less.

I've working on a review of the X3i - don't ignore it just because it lacks a CF slot!

dh
12-19-2003, 01:15 AM
..... don't ignore it just because it lacks a CF slot!
But it's hard to get your CF cards into an SD slot. :lol:

David Prahl
12-19-2003, 01:19 AM
I think most people will agree that SD is becoming wildly popular, and only geeks and photography buffs need the power and expandibility of CF.

dh
12-19-2003, 01:35 AM
I think most people will agree that SD is becoming wildly popular, and only geeks and photography buffs need the power and expandibility of CF.
David, I think you're right to a point, but what about:

- People wanting more than 512MB of memory? (I have 1.5GB right now and will have more when bigger CF cards are cheaper.)
- Music fans without an Ipod or MP3 player?
- Business people who are sometimes stuck with dial up?
- Business people who need an ethernet card?
- Movie fans who would like to have several movies with them on a trip?

I don't believe that all these needs are unique to geeks.

I agree with you that SD is indeed becoming more popular, but SD memory is still quite a bit more expensive and lagging behind CF for capacity. Also I still have not seen SD modems or network cards although I'm sure they will arrive in due course.

From the PDA manufacturer's point of view there are two reasons to remove the CF slot. It makes it easier to get to a small form factor (although HP showed how to do it properly with the 2215) and it reduces the cost. I believe these are the reasons we are seeing more of the SD only configuration, certainly not to help us users.

Until there are SD cards of more than 1GB, I'll be sticking with the two slot solution.

dmkozak
12-19-2003, 02:48 PM
My Axim X5 was my first Pocket PC, after years of Palm ownership. It took Dell seven months and six Axims before Dell finally got me an Axim that worked (except for the nav pad which still does not accept right clicks). After spending hours and hours on the phone with customer support, e-mailing customer support, writing Dell corporate and even working with the Austin, TX BBB (to which Dell never even replied), I can't imagine ever buying a Dell product again. So, personally, it doesn't make any difference to me what Dell comes out with. Except that I hope Dell's products push the competition so I'll end up with better products. The X5 pushed the competition. The X3 does not push the competition, but, rather, follows whatever is available from more reliable manufacturers. I like to see Dell take new ground because it makes H-Paq and others produce better models. Sorry to see Dell become a follower.

P.S. I find it interesting how the Axim was supposed to introduce Dell to new customers. Instead, it seems to have driven people away from becoming Dell customers. I just accepted a new post which will give me input on computer and computer-related product purchases for a 5,000 user business. It doesn't look like Dell will be considered a preferred vendor. How sad that all of Dell's recent year moves will cost them customers instead of bringing them new customers. It very much appears Dell management makes decisions based on stock prices instead of product satisfaction.

WyattEarp
12-21-2003, 05:23 AM
Dells biggest innovation (if you want to call it that) has been low prices and fast distribution. Other companies have had to play catchup in order to compete but also maintain the quality they are known for. Now it seems Dell has become a victim of their own creation. It is very difficult to compete with yourself and everyone especially when everyone else has been in the game longer.

At this rate Dell will have only one Pocket PC offering out every year leaving customers with no other Dells to chose from. Where's the variety?