View Full Version : PPC for GPS use

Frosty Vibe
12-18-2003, 01:10 AM
Hello all.

There are still several models that I am considering, I am pretty much set on a CF GPS format now

1. HP 2210

2. ACER n10

3. Dell Axim X5 (300mhz version )

or maybe 4. HP 1940, will have to get a BT GPS though.

I am wanting dual slots because I can use SD to store my maps.

2210 is obviously a very nice and popular model but quite a bit more expensive than the other two.

I don't have much use for BT on PDA's as I usually only SE HBH-30 + my SE phones.

For me. 2210 is about C$100 more than n10 and C$80 for X5

In your opinion is the iPAQ with the extra $$ ?

Granted, I am not going to be a heavy PDA user as it will be mainly used for navigation only but I still want a decent PDA.

Please comment

thank you :)

Dave Potter
12-18-2003, 01:56 AM
I would go with a BT GPS instead of a CF one. Because it's a separate unit, you benefit from:

a) a separate battery (saves your PDA battery)
b) more flexibility in terms of positioning the GSP receiver

I have heard many stories about having to purchase an external antenna with CF GPSs (assuming that your using it in a car). Kinda beats the point of one discrete unit.

dwildone
12-18-2003, 06:26 AM
I would go with a BT GPS instead of a CF one. Because it's a separate unit, you benefit from:

a) a separate battery (saves your PDA battery)
b) more flexibility in terms of positioning the GSP receiver

I have heard many stories about having to purchase an external antenna with CF GPSs (assuming that your using it in a car). Kinda beats the point of one discrete unit.

I agree. I have a 2215 with the socket BT GPS receiver and TomTom USA maps. The setup works great. I used to use a CF GPS, but I always had problems with reception- the receiver would only get a good connection if it was on the dash of my Explorer (where I couldn't see it).

SD-Realtor
12-19-2003, 05:58 AM
I also use and recommend the bluetooth route - the ipaq 1945 and pharos bluetooth gps. It's a great combination, like the others say, because you can have the gps unit sit in a different location from your actual pda. The pharos comes with a pda mount which clips onto your air conditioning vent, and you can throw the gps receiver on your dash (it also comes with a non-slip pad which grips the receiver very well).
I just wouldn't want to either be attached to any wires between the gps and pda (if you use any extended antenna), or I wouldn't want to be required to have the pda mounted to the windshield where you might not be able to see it very well.
Good luck!

lanwarrior
12-19-2003, 11:30 AM
I use a 5450 with 512 SD and Holux GM-270 ULTRA CF GPS. This GPS CF card uses the new SiRFXTrac firmware. I'll tell you, this GPS is so damn sensitive that I NEVER had to use my external antenna when driving. 15-20 seconds for COLD start and I got 5 satelillte fix when non-SiRFXTrac GPS can only get 3. I think even with BT GPS, since it is using just regular SirF chip without the XTrac, it'll still need an external antenna when reception is bad.

I like using CF GPS since I often go geocaching and camping and having another bulky BT GPS unit (beside the iPAQ itself) is kinda troublesome.

This is just my preferences though.

Frosty Vibe
12-21-2003, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I am actually leaning towards BT GPS now.

I can get Acer n10 , Axim X5 and iPAQ 1940 for around the same price and here how I see things...

There's no way I can avoid SD card with all 3 machines, so it comes down to BT or not. And after much reading... it does look like BT has some advantage over CF.

Not to mention GPRS via BT .... :lol::lol::lol:

Still a few questions...

1. Does 1940 have enough processing power to run the GPS smoothly ?

2. How does 1940's battery perform with BT-enabled ?

3. If I go for 2210, I wouldn't have to buy SD card ( saves me some $$ ) , gives me more horsepower and optional SD slot if I ever wanted to use it.

So, do you think 2210 is worth the premium over 1940 ?

thank you all very much :)

Jeff

Dave Potter
12-21-2003, 05:44 PM
The processing power of the 1940 is excellent - more than enough for BT GPS

Just a thought - instead of getting the 2210 - get the 1940 + an extra battery. You still come out way ahead price wise. This is what I did with my 1935 to compensate for using BT and WiFi (I added both via an SDIO cards).

Also - isn't the 2210 the one with the rubber grip problem? The grips always peel off after a month or so if I am not mistaken.

Frosty Vibe
12-21-2003, 06:31 PM
The processing power of the 1940 is excellent - more than enough for BT GPS

Just a thought - instead of getting the 2210 - get the 1940 + an extra battery. You still come out way ahead price wise. This is what I did with my 1935 to compensate for using BT and WiFi (I added both via an SDIO cards).

Also - isn't the 2210 the one with the rubber grip problem? The grips always peel off after a month or so if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I've read mixed reviews about the rubber grip on 2210 so I really don't know what to think about that.