View Full Version : I'm too scared to try it without asking...

sublime
12-17-2003, 05:24 AM
For those of you who use it, how does Pocket Hack Master work? I hear it can speed up my PPC, but the idea of "hacking" my PPC scares me, since I'm not all too computer literate.

Is it easy to use? Will it screw up my PPC if I don't know what I'm doing? Any reassuring words? Someone pat me on the back and say "there there."

tanalasta
12-17-2003, 05:40 AM
Well it "hacks" or generally makes small tweaks to your registry settings in order to make a couple of changes you may/may not want.

I don't use it because i don't need it.... and because if my ppc ain't broken i won't play with it. But i don't see why you can't do a complete pocketbackup and then play with hack master to your heart's desire. You can restore if you don't like the changes :)

Pat Logsdon
12-17-2003, 05:46 AM
You'll be fine. I've used it, although I don't now, since I don't feel that I need it. Bottom line is that the program takes the "x-scale" feature of our processors a bit farther than the defaults.

For example, the Axims (which I have) can be clocked up to 472mhz reliably, with rock solid stability. There are people who can get over 500, however.

You can also UNDER clock your PPC to save battery power. That's really what I used it for most - when I'm just using my Axim to read a book, I don't really need it to run at 200mhz - I can save some battery life by clocking it down to 99mhz. It really does make a difference.

There are also a bunch of other included goodies, like very detailed system information, database info, stuff like that. I think there's a trial, so I encourage you to check it out.

The worst that could happen is that you'd have a hard reset, and that's only if you don't use one of the presets for your PPC. If you stick with those, you'll be fine. There's no danger of you frying anything. :mrgreen:

Robb Bates
12-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Be careful and back up your PPC before you try anything. I tried to bump up my h1910 to 400MHz and it locked up hard. Required a hard reset to fix it. 300MHz worked fine, but nothing greater than. I was using some program other than Pocket Hack Master.

Robb

Kowalski
12-20-2003, 11:01 AM
i use the program too but not the overclock features because i have a 2210 and i dont need it. :wink: but the information it provides is valuable for me. especially the running programs and databases page.
on the other side the xscale proccessor is designed as a scalable proccessor. it is HP who didnt implement it so i think you can use the program for over and "lower" cloacking, this wont burn you ppc
now ill ask a question for those using this program: how much does it effect the battery when you are cloacking down the system, about 200 mhz or slower

Robb Bates
12-21-2003, 04:23 AM
I've read somewhere (sorry I can't remember where) that using any kind of overclocking software on the h2215 didn't help at all. It actually slowed things down. Or maybe it was that you got a 5% increase in effective speed and a 20% extra drain in battery life. And similar results for underclocking. So over or underclocking it was of little use.

And yes, i have a h2215 too. Gotta love it! :D

Robb

Jon Westfall
12-21-2003, 05:47 AM
Does Pocket Hack Master run under WM2003?