View Full Version : What's the best method for moving all of my stuff to a new PPC?

Pat Logsdon
12-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I'll be getting a new PPC in the next few days, and I'm kind of leery of the transition. I've been very happy with Pocket Backup, but I'm not sure if it can handle a backup to a different PPC with a different OS.

Has anyone restored to a newer machine like this using Pocket Backup, or am I stuck with the ActiveSync backup and lots of fervent praying?

:worried:

Dave Potter
12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
I don't think that it is possible to restore a backup created under 2002 to a 2003 PPC - either with Pocket Backup or ActiveSync backup. Besides, I'm pretty sure that every device model and make will have subtle differences in drivers etc.

It would be kinda like backing up Windows XP on a Dell PC and then trying to restore that backup to an IBM PC. Different motherboards, BIOS, video card, etc. - It would be a nightmare if it worked at all.

This is just my humble opinion. I could be wrong.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2003, 10:13 PM
You can't do a backup/restore - you need to re-build the new device and manually move over the new files, data, etc.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Which could be a blessing in disguise... No old bitrot and stuff...

David Prahl
12-16-2003, 10:34 PM
I just moved all of my stuff from a 2002 to 2003 device, installing programs and personal files manually. It wasn't that bad.

maximus
12-17-2003, 02:23 AM
... but then again, a new device demands a new passion, right ? :wink:

Just reinstall the whole thing all over again, to avoid minor backup glitches (and conflicts, errors, etc. etc.) that will ruin the fun of the new device :D

senfeng
12-17-2003, 02:59 AM
I did this not to long ago. I recommend getting pocketcontroller. It makes entering serial numbers a whole lot faster. Took me about 1.5 hours to install everything, register (almost)all of my programs, and copy files over to my new identity (MasterSoft Money files, Project Management files, etc.).

senfeng
12-17-2003, 03:29 AM
I did this not to long ago. I recommend getting pocketcontroller. It makes entering serial numbers a whole lot faster. Took me about 1.5 hours to install everything, register (almost)all of my programs, and copy files over to my new identity (MasterSoft Money files, Project Management files, etc.).So... here's what I did. I hope its helpful:

* Name your new device something different from the old one. I think this is under start>settings>systems tab>about>Device ID tab.
* Don't worry about your PIM info. As long as you sync to the same Outlook identity, it'll all be there for you.
* While in activesync, go to add/remove programs. I believe its in Tools>add/remove? You can install MOST of the apps that you previously installed to your new device... providing that the old app is compatible with your new PPC. Install the apps ONE AT A TIME. Some apps require that you soft reset your device. While this saves time, sometimes an app requires another program to be installed that was part of the executible. In this case, I usually just reinstall the app from the original location.
* Sync your old and new PDA with the 'files' checkbox checked (under Options I believed).
* After installing your apps, register your apps. You may need new passwords/keys.
* Many apps create files in your synced files folder. You can copy these files from your old directory to your new one.
* If you have apps like eWallet, all you need to do is go to your desktop component and syncronize with your new device instead of the old one.

I think that's it.