View Full Version : pocket pc doesn't support it's own S.D. slot.

Jeff the pianoguy
12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Please help me!!! I have an Ipaq 3835 with an S.D. slot, and I just Purchased a Lexar 256mb S.D. card. The card works wonderfully in my Sandisk stand alone 8 in 1 card reader, but my pocket p.c. doesn't recognize it at all! In fact, it seems as though I have no software that has anything to do with the S.D. card. I visited microsoft's website about the pocket p.c. 2002 operating system, and followed instructions on using the card, and my pocket p.c. doesn't have the removable card folder, it doesn't notify when I insert the card or anything! If anybody knows what's going on, HELP!

dhettel
12-15-2003, 07:47 PM
If you open Pocket File Explorer you should see under My Device a folder call Storage Card. This would be your Card. If you don't see it, then you might want to try a soft reset. If it still doesn't show up, and you have updated the ROM, and restored your programs after the update. That could be your problem. You should try a Hard Reset, then.

Nothing will pop up saying you have installed the SD card, or that you have removed it. And it will appear as just another folder, (like the iPAQ File Store folder) in the root location of your iPAQ.

David

12-15-2003, 09:09 PM
could it be a formatting problem? the card might have been formated with fat 32 instead of fat 16? I think that the ipaq will recognized both, but I'm not sure.

Steven Cedrone
12-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Please help me!!! I have an Ipaq 3835 with an S.D. slot, and I just Purchased a Lexar 256mb S.D. card. The card works wonderfully in my Sandisk stand alone 8 in 1 card reader, but my pocket p.c. doesn't recognize it at all! In fact, it seems as though I have no software that has anything to do with the S.D. card. I visited microsoft's website about the pocket p.c. 2002 operating system, and followed instructions on using the card, and my pocket p.c. doesn't have the removable card folder, it doesn't notify when I insert the card or anything! If anybody knows what's going on, HELP!

Have you tried a soft reset???

Steve

tanalasta
12-16-2003, 04:00 AM
could it be a formatting problem? the card might have been formated with fat 32 instead of fat 16? I think that the ipaq will recognized both, but I'm not sure.

Last time i tried putting an incorrectly formatted SD card into an IPAQ, a popup window came up that offerred to reformat the card (and hence wipe the data!) for me... But unfortunately, I'm not sure what your problem is in this case. Are you saying that when you open up file explorer, the storage card doesn't exist?

Jeff the pianoguy
12-18-2003, 03:07 PM
thanks for the responses! I've never used a site like this before, and I appreciate the help! I have done a soft reset, to no avail. I hesitate to do a hard reset because I use the pocket pc every day in business with multiple applications, and every time I hard reset, it takes me days to get things back the way i need them. When I go into file explorer and look at my list of files, there isn't a storage card folder there. In fact, I just tried to make a new folder named "storage card", and it wouldn't allow it. the error message says "access denied... the file is already in use" :? I had sent the unit to HP to be repaired this fall, wouldn't they have put a recent version of 2002 on there?(compared to summer of 02 when i bought it)

dhettel
12-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Look at the top left corner of File Explorer, you should see an image of a PDA, and after that a Name. What is it? Do you see a folder called iPAQ File Store? The Storage card folder will only show on the page where the iPAQ File Store folder is. On some iPAQs it maybe called SD Card. Look at the folder in front of iPAQ File Store do you see that the folder looks different than the other folders? It has an icon of a PCMCIA card on it. There should only be one other folder with that icon on it, that would be your SD card.

Normally if you send your iPAQ into Hp I would expect them to do nothing to the ROM. If they need to replace the main board, then I would expect that you would have the original ROM, and if you request that they update it to the current image, and they agree to do this. I would not be surprise to find that they have installed the original ROM. That's based on my experience with them.

David

hkboey
12-18-2003, 07:51 PM
I dont know bout PPC2002 as I never touched tat before but I have a tips here on PPC2003.

You can check whether you have any card installed in your ipaq.
Go to Start->Setting->System->About

There you can see your processor, memory expansion slot details and the owner's name. If you have card in your device, under 'Expansion Slot' it will show 'In use', or else, 'Not in use'.

If you have inserted a card and it's not in use, Im worry maybe you have problem with your contact pin there. Or perhaps you can try a different SD card to see if it works... if you need screen shot on the page to see the details of the above stated, please tell me.

dhettel
12-18-2003, 08:10 PM
I dont know bout PPC2002 as I never touched tat before but I have a tips here on PPC2003.

You can check whether you have any card installed in your ipaq.
Go to Start->Setting->System->About

There you can see your processor, memory expansion slot details and the owner's name. If you have card in your device, under 'Expansion Slot' it will show 'In use', or else, 'Not in use'.

If you have inserted a card and it's not in use, Im worry maybe you have problem with your contact pin there. Or perhaps you can try a different SD card to see if it works... if you need screen shot on the page to see the details of the above stated, please tell me.

On a 3835 I think that would be Start (menu) | Settings | System (tab) | Memory | Storage Card (tab) | And then in the drop down box you should see iPAQ File Store and Storage Card (with the storage card inserted) If it does not show there, it could be a bad card, or bad pins, the card not fully inserted, should be flush slightly below the top. It will not fall out if you turn your iPAQ upside down and shake. Or you could have a problem with restoring your registry, from a backup that doesn't match the ROM in your iPAQ.

David

Jeff the pianoguy
12-24-2003, 03:31 AM
by some stroke of genius, my brain finally rotated 1 click and I took my ppc to Best Buy to try the s.d. card in other ppc's. my card works great in all of them. :( I've finally accepted that my ppc is physically broken. I'm going to use this one until the 4155 comes down in price a little more.(and windows mobile 2003 can work with the pocket printers I like!!!)

dhettel
12-24-2003, 03:38 AM
Which printer is that?

David

Jeff the pianoguy
12-24-2003, 11:05 PM
David, the printer I really want to get is the m-print 140 from brother. It was released just this fall, but I can't find it for sale anywhere on the web. The 100 is available for about $329 :( , but the 140 is BLUETOOTH!! brother put a m.s.r.p. of $399 on the 140. OUCH!!
I use a Sipix A6 printer right now. I don't know if you've seen this thing, it's small! But, Sipix discontinued all printers and failed to write a driver for the A6 for Windows mobile 2003. I bought an Ipaq 4155 and dicovered that it wouldn't work with my printer and started researching printers. At the time I bought the Ipaq(oct 28?) I was on the bleeding edge of technology. NO PRINTERS OR DRIVERS WERE AVAILABLE!!!!(pocket size i mean.) the printer on the side of the 4155 box was the HP deskjet 450. That printer is huge! I returned the 4155, repaired my 3835 and continue to use the sipix printer.

dhettel
12-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Hmm, Don't know if I should tell you this or not, but www.fieldsoftware.com makes a driver for sipix printer that works with WM 2003.

David

Jeff the pianoguy
12-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Hmm, Don't know if I should tell you this or not, but www.fieldsoftware.com makes a driver for sipix printer that works with WM 2003.

David

I couldn't get the 4150 to work with the A6 printer(via infrared). the fieldsoftware site even says that it doesn't work via infrared. I suppose if I had been thinking, I should have looked into using a serial cable. I think I was just so set against going back in time(to cables) that it never occured to me to use a cable until I upgraded printers. Besides, I swear the Fieldsoftware wasn't available until after I returned my 4150. I literally bought the 4150 within days of its release, and starting researching my printer problems within hours and never found the fieldsoftware site. Google and Yahoo only started giving me fieldsoftware as a choice within the last 7 weeks or so. I found the site within 3 days of returning the unit :evil: On another note, my brothers work is buying him a 4150, I'm so jealous!! 8O