View Full Version : SyChip To Build Combo SD Cards?

Janak Parekh
12-15-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-7351-5119508.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-7351-5119508.html</a><br /><br /></div>"For Wi-Fi start-ups, the road to success might be paved with a combination chip. Sychip and other Wi-Fi semiconductor manufacturers are trying to woo customers by integrating radio functions into a single chip or package, company executives said at the Micro Ventures conference taking place here this week...Plano, Texas-based Sychip, for instance, is producing samples of a product that combines a Wi-Fi module with Bluetooth, the short-range wireless networking technology."<br /><br />Cool. :) I believe SyChip developed the technology used in both Socket and Sandisk's SDIO Wi-Fi cards, so if anyone can pull it off, they can. However, I'm still waiting for the SDIO Wi-Fi plus memory solution.

JohnJohn
12-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Wish HP had used this process for their SD camera. :idea:

David Prahl
12-15-2003, 07:45 PM
I still don't understand why people would want a wireless card with integrated flash memory. I only insert my wifi card when I need wireless, but would want it inserted the whole time if it had flash storage. I don't want a bulky antenna poking out of my PPC all of the time, and don't want to have to manually turn the radio on or off.

dh
12-15-2003, 07:57 PM
I still don't understand why people would want a wireless card with integrated flash memory. I only insert my wifi card when I need wireless, but would want it inserted the whole time if it had flash storage. I don't want a bulky antenna poking out of my PPC all of the time, and don't want to have to manually turn the radio on or off.
I agree 100% with you David. The last thing I want is something sticking out of my PPC, it's just asking to get broken, especially a flimsy SD card.

It seems to me that if you need wireless connectivity and want to retain extra memory, it's essential to either get a two slot device or one with the wireless built in.