View Full Version : Handango Yardstick for Q3 2003

Ed Hansberry
12-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Handango has released their 3rd quarter "Yardstick" report that breaks down what the top PDAs are that are adding software, what the mix of games, personal productivity, utilities and other category types is as well as several other interesting tidbits. <a href="http://www.handango.com/pdf/HandangoYardstick3_2003.pdf">You can download the report here</a>. <i>(<a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html">Adobe Acrobat Reader required</a>)</i>.<br /><br />The top PDAs adding software for the third quarter were:<br />• iPAQ 3000 series<br />• Dell Axim<br />• Sony Clie<br />• Palm Tungsten<br />• Palm M500<br /><br />Hmmm.... that looks like a booming <i>Pocket PC</i> economy to me. :wink:

Cortex
12-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Hmmm.... that looks like a booming Pocket PC economy to me. :wink:

Hmmm.... that looks like Pocket PC owners paying high prices for 3rd party software to make up for the lousy software included with Pocket PC :roll:

Dave Potter
12-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Hmmm.... that looks like Pocket PC owners paying high prices for 3rd party software to make up for the lousy software included with Pocket PC :roll:

Hmmm... aren't you a ray of sunshine. :morning:

powder2000
12-15-2003, 05:44 PM
So all those years that palm had so much software going for it really meant that it was a totally lousy platform that needed tons of softaware to make up for it? Just because pocket pc platforms are at the top of the list, we can't assume that it is "making up" for what the pocket pc lacks. It means that it is a good os with the developer base to back it with software that shouldn't and isn't included on everyones list. This is positive news for pocket pc, not negative. :devilboy:

mace
12-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Hmmm.... that looks like Pocket PC owners paying high prices for 3rd party software to make up for the lousy software included with Pocket PC

Yeah and my PC/Notebook comes with everything I need to do my work. :?

M@
12-15-2003, 07:40 PM
When you buy a pocket pc you're not buying the most powerful, feature-filled lump of hardware. You're buying a pint-sized scale down.

Microsoft cannot fullfil everyone's needs with one universal Pocket PC OS without seriously reducing performance... requiring better processing and larger on-board memory meaning a higher price for you (not to mention the more people needed to be paid by microsoft to develop the damn software), the user... so its either more money into big company's* pockets (no pun intended), or into smaller businesses' pockets...

To be fair to Microsoft, they are allowing free download of eVB and eC++ at their expense so anyone can design their own applications if there feel motivated to...

*(Compaq, Dell, etc who manufacture the hardware)[/i]

David Prahl
12-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Wait a second - is this a rating of the quality of bundled apps that come with a device? Because 90% of what comes with the Axim is old or demoware.

mmace
12-15-2003, 08:03 PM

Not to dis the "Pocket PC economy," but keep in mind that Handango is the leading English-language software store for Pocket PC apps, while there are two leading English-language stores for Palm OS applications -- PalmGear and Handango. Plus we've just added a software store at www.palmsource.com/software. So sales of Palm OS software get divided across several sites.

Mike
CCO, PalmSource Inc.

powder2000
12-15-2003, 10:22 PM

Not to dis the "Pocket PC economy," but keep in mind that Handango is the leading English-language software store for Pocket PC apps, while there are two leading English-language stores for Palm OS applications -- PalmGear and Handango. Plus we've just added a software store at www.palmsource.com/software. So sales of Palm OS software get divided across several sites.

Mike
CCO, PalmSource Inc.

Can you say pocketgear :roll: .

gorkon280
12-15-2003, 10:35 PM
It's ONLY Handango in this stat. The one interesting thing is that the 3000 series is getting more downloads then the Axim. The Axim is a newer unit. HMMMMM! Tells you how good a StrongArm 206 MHz processor is! ;) Anyway, some of thes eposts really need to be shifted to the Hall of Shame. They are inflamatic and something that should not be here.

Ed Hansberry
12-15-2003, 10:44 PM
It's ONLY Handango in this stat. The one interesting thing is that the 3000 series is getting more downloads then the Axim. The Axim is a newer unit. HMMMMM! Tells you how good a StrongArm 206 MHz processor is! ;)
The 3000 series includes the 3100, 3600, 3700, 3800 and the X-Scale 3900.

gorkon280
12-16-2003, 04:42 AM
It's ONLY Handango in this stat. The one interesting thing is that the 3000 series is getting more downloads then the Axim. The Axim is a newer unit. HMMMMM! Tells you how good a StrongArm 206 MHz processor is! ;)
The 3000 series includes the 3100, 3600, 3700, 3800 and the X-Scale 3900.

Yeah but still! :) Not that the 3900's are old...it's just that ye olde 3000 series is still owned by a aweful lot of people which may account for why they buy alot of software.....that and I still like the expansion pack deal but I see that going away soon. I bet you that HP may bring out ONE more that wull work with the sleeves, but I don't see many more then that. Eventually things are going to go the laptop route with everything built in....including hard drives.

AhuhX
12-16-2003, 05:41 AM
Isn't Handango just going on what device the user rekons they have? EG: I bought a 3630, registered it at Handango and have since updated it to a 2210, but Handango still registers me as being a 3630 user.

I wonder if that is the case?