View Full Version : A plea to Softmaker: better tables please!

Skoobouy
12-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Textmaker is a great program, but I believe its most noticeable weakness is its table support. I just have the following requests:

1.) Autoformat should work properly. Especially, cells in the same column should always be the same width. Currently, autoformat only produces an unusable mess. It would be even better if it auto-formatted dynamically.

2.) The user should be able to paste Excel content as a table, including all formatting--borders, cell background color, and text formatting.

Tables are uber-essential for many kinds of work. I'm a philosophy student, but even I need them for my Latin declensions and logical proofs.

SoftMaker
12-15-2003, 02:55 PM
The next major release of TextMaker (please, don't ask for release dates yet...) will have dramatically improved table support. This will cover:

Fixed row heights (in addition to minimum and automatic height)
Repeating headers
True nested tables
Rotated text in cells
Vertical cell alignment
Merge cells
Cells that may span more than one page
Footnotes in tables

Clipboard exchange between TextMaker and PlanMaker should work nicely; Pocket Excel doesn't place stuff in a useable formatted type on the clipboard.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Skoobouy
12-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I just realized that earlier today. Copying from Pocket Excel only copies the text, formatted with TABs. Plus, it's anyone's guess if it formats the tabs correctly.

Thank you for the information.

Falstaff
12-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Do you have any idea what the price for an upgrade will be?

SoftMaker
12-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Do you have any idea what the price for an upgrade will be?
Heh. I'd feel much better if I could already think of pricing instead of "When will this feature be completed? Why does it crash NOW? Can we make this feature faster, PLEASE?" :mrgreen:

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH