View Full Version : .mp3 conversion

oksa
12-14-2003, 08:44 PM
ActiveSync converts different files (.doc .bmp etc). Is it possible to also do a conversion when copying .mp3?

I want to lower the bitrate on .mp3 files on my pocketpc to save storage. It would be excellent if this converison could be done when just copying a song using ActiveSync, rather than re-encode a song and then copy it.

I would think that this requires some sort of "plugin" to ActiveSync, but Im not sure.

Thanks.

Janak Parekh
12-14-2003, 08:53 PM
ActiveSync converts different files (.doc .bmp etc). Is it possible to also do a conversion when copying .mp3?
If you copy music to a Pocket PC through Windows Media Player, it can reencode to a lower bitrate WMA on-the-fly. It'll handle MP3 and WMA as input.

However, realize that ActiveSync will be terribly slow to copy MP3s or WMAs -- even smaller ones.

--janak

Jason Dunn
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
However, realize that ActiveSync will be terribly slow to copy MP3s or WMAs -- even smaller ones.

You haven't seen a Windows Mobile 2003 device do it. :-) Any of the modern generation devices are finally fast enough to copy over large files quite quickly...

oksa
12-16-2003, 07:30 PM
What is the procedure to connect the pda with Media Player.

I am ActiveSync connected, but Media Player wont use it as a portable device...

Janak Parekh
12-16-2003, 09:57 PM
I am ActiveSync connected, but Media Player wont use it as a portable device...
It should just list it in Portable Devices. You ActiveSync'ed before you went to the option in Media Player, right?

--janak

oksa
12-17-2003, 10:51 AM
It should just list it in Portable Devices. You ActiveSync'ed before you went to the option in Media Player, right?

Yup. The only option I get is to copy to CD

tanalasta
12-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Whilst the new devices may be fast enough to copy music files and convert to wma on the fly, if you're like me and have a really old device... use a card reader (or activesync) and just copy the mp3 files straight over then use pocketplayer/pocketmusic to play them.

Of course if you have wma files that are DRM'ed then it won't work... haha but of course then we wouldn't be converting them!