View Full Version : Help files - what are the rules?

terrypin
12-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Have I correctly understood the rules or standards about the location and use of PPC Help files please?

It seems that all of the built in apps, like Calendar, Pocket Word, etc, have Help documentation accessible while you are in that program by using Start|Help. In those cases you cannot then access it from within the program itself.

Most but not all 3rd party progs seem to follow the same approach.

In these cases, the Help file always seems to be in \Windows, as xyz.htm. It seems to me that many of these are dominated by text, with few if any images, making them markedly inferior to PC-based Help. Those that do have images require that the images are also all filed in \Windows. (Which explains scores of oddly-named files I frequently see sprinkled throughout that ever-expanding folder.)

-------

For those progs that do not provide Help via that Start Menu method, it's usually accessed from the program itself. In that case the HTM file and all its associated image files can be in a folder more logically located. If you want to study the Help without running the program, it's more difficult than the first method. Usually involves loacting it and making a shortcut to it. Or using File Explore or similar.

-------
1. Is above broadly correct?
2. Are there any other access methods?
3. Is there any 'standard' recommended by MS to developers?
4. Which method do most end users prefer?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

PocketPC Addict
12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Terry,

One of the rules to have an app cetified is that the help file must follow the procedure of being accessed through Start>Help while the app is running. Some developers go their own route (I include myself in that) and put the help files (with pictures) into it's own folder. I simply hate to see so many files dumped into the windows folder! :evil: Maybe I'm a neat freak or something, but it just seems more organized and efficient to have the help files in the respective app's folder. Plus, I can use all the pictures and text formatting I want from there. :wink:

terrypin
12-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Brad, much appreciate the fast reply.

That explains why I've come across several high quality programs that access Help in 'non-standard' fashion, i.e. from within the program. Which is after all the Windows desktop standard I believe?

My ideal would combine the strengths of both methods:

1. Be accessible via Start|Help (whether or not program is running).

2. Be accessible from within the program (preferably via some standard route, like File|Help, or an icon '?').

3. Not place all files in \Windows

4. Always install identical Help on desktop for convenient study

5. Ideally, for major apps, provide expanded Help which would otherwise be too space-hungry on PPC. (Examples I have are Agenda Fusion, and Pocket Informant.)

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

rhmorrison
12-14-2003, 07:26 PM
My ideal would combine the strengths of both methods:

1. Be accessible via Start|Help (whether or not program is running).
This is ONLY possible if the help file is in the \Windows directory.

2. Be accessible from within the program (preferably via some standard route, like File|Help, or an icon '?').
I am actually using a menu item '?' with only two items:
About... Helpwhere of course the help is context sensative.

3. Not place all files in \Windows.
Tcha, that is a problem... In order for the Start -> Help (or even more important) the Find -> Help function to work properly the help file MUST be in the \Windows directory. For most PPC applications it should be possible to create a good help file that is text only and programs that require more should probably be viewed on a 'real' PC.

4. Always install identical Help on desktop for convenient study
This is of course easily implemented.

5. Ideally, for major apps, provide expanded Help which would otherwise be too space-hungry on PPC. (Examples I have are Agenda Fusion, and Pocket Informant.)
I definately agree. I also own Pocket Informant and it is indeed a very powerful software that needs some explaination to use effectively.

There were a couple of discussions a while back about help files:
Help files (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16385&highlight=chm+help+files) CHM readers (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18244&highlight=chm+help+files)If I wanted to have a help file with lots of pictures then I think I would go the CHM route, otherwise I would tend to go the pure text route and add the help file to the /Windows directory so it is offered in the general Windows Help and searched with the find command.

Just my 2 cents worh... :rock on dude!:

terrypin
12-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks a lot, Bob, that's very helpful.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK