View Full Version : I'm thinking its time for a hard reset...

sublime
12-14-2003, 06:06 AM
I don't know what it is, but my iPAQ 2210 is getting a little screwy on me. I'll click on the start menu, programs, then a program and have it soft reset randomly. My speaker in the top right corner of the device (near the time) turns blue every once in a while, and clicking on it freezes the machine. I'm soft resetting many times a day. I'm getting sick of it.

So, now what do I do? I've got Sprite Backup Plus. Do I backup to CF or PC, hard-reset, then reinstall the programs? Should that fix the problem, or will it just reinstall the problem after the hard reset?

What would you do?

PetiteFlower
12-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Just sync all your data and reset. You can't restore a backup because then you might be restoring the problem. Reinstall your programs, preferably the most stable ones first and the questionable ones one at a time with a day or 2 in between, so you can see if one of them was causing the problem.

sublime
12-14-2003, 06:16 AM
One of those programs is Mastersoft Money. If I reinstall that, will I lose all of the information I had on it? Is there a way to avoid this?

Anthony Caruana
12-14-2003, 07:54 AM
I just hard reset my 2210 ealier in the week. I tend to reset my PPCs every 3 months or so cos I try a lot of software out and uninstallers aren't as good as they should be.

In any case, just make sure you've synced all you PIM data to your PC. Then, just in case, back your PIM data up using iPAQ Backup to your iPAQ file store or a storage card (you can never have too many backups :wink: )

After hard reset create a partnership with your PC and sync the PIM data back. The reinstall your apps, one at a time.

senfeng
12-14-2003, 01:10 PM
One of those programs is Mastersoft Money. If I reinstall that, will I lose all of the information I had on it? Is there a way to avoid this?If you have the 'Files' option checked in ActiveSync, then you should have a shortcut on your desktop. It should be named <the name of your Pocket PC> My Documents (EX. If your device's name is Pocket_PC, the folder will be called Pocket PC My Documents). Otherwise, you can go to the "...\My Documents\<the name of your Pocket PC> My Documents\" folder on your PC.

If you open up the folder, you'll find a couple of files named "MSMS...". I've got three of them, but you might have two. Copy these files someplace. After you hard reset and re-install Mastersoft Money, copy these files back over and overwrite the new ones.

This worked on my last Hard Reset. Hopefully this helps :D