View Full Version : The Last Samurai

Jason Dunn
12-13-2003, 07:01 AM
One word: WOW. 8O

Very, very good movie!

freitasm
12-13-2003, 08:31 AM
I tried watching this in San Jose and missed by a few minutes... Oh well, will see back in NZ. BTW, another movie fimed on location in good old Godzone, aka New Zealand :mrgreen: !

markan
12-13-2003, 11:21 AM
How do you usually feel about Tom Cruise films?

Is it a good film because of Tom, or

A good film despite Tom.

cml
12-13-2003, 01:56 PM
I went in expecting an OK, but overly long movie (in part because that is mostly what Tom has done lately) and was very pleasantly surprised by a really good movie that was never slow at all. I highly recommend it.

delfuhd
12-13-2003, 06:01 PM
I hjaven't seen it, but a friend of mine in my Art class was saying that she would have hated the movie, but she liked it because Tom Cruise spoke Japanese very very well.. Did he indeed speak good japanese? That is one of the reasons I have not seen it yet, I didn't want to see some american actor try to be all 'cool and japanese,' but if Tom nails it, then I'd love to go see it.

Jason Dunn
12-13-2003, 08:37 PM
BTW, another movie fimed on location in good old Godzone, aka New Zealand :mrgreen: !

Interesting...I was wondering about that. The scenery was so perfect, I thought they must have went to Japan to film it. Is there anyplace that New Zealand CAN'T look like? Perhaps the moon... ;-)

Jason Dunn
12-13-2003, 08:39 PM
How do you usually feel about Tom Cruise films? Is it a good film because of Tom, or A good film despite Tom.

I think a movie is good based on the story and the characters, not who's in it. It's a good movie because it was a wonderful story, was directed perfectly, and the actors did their jobs. :D

Jason Dunn
12-13-2003, 08:40 PM
...but a friend of mine in my Art class was saying that she would have hated the movie, but she liked it because Tom Cruise spoke Japanese very very well..

Um, no offense, but this seems like a really silly reason to like or not like a movie. 8O

ekconrad
12-14-2003, 09:04 PM
I don't think it's silly. That aspect of the movie may be the one reason a person wants to go see the flick. The culture, or theme. Just as a big name actor like Tom Cruise would draw others to the movie theater.

I typically am not drawn to see a movie because of the actors in it, how popular it is, or whether it received good reviews. I go because the theme of the movie interests me (or ones my wife force me to go to :lol: ).