View Full Version : Best SD Memory Card

Chairface1
12-13-2003, 05:43 AM
I'm looking for a 512MB SD card. Which card do you all think is the best?

tanalasta
12-13-2003, 06:22 AM
If you've got the moolah to afford the best, i still recommend the panasonic. They're fast (10MB max write speeds) at those sizes and i've yet to see someone who has had a problem with them. Panasonic uses good components in their SD cards...

Otherwise a rebranded panasonic (don't ask me which ones...) or the new sandisk ultra (i've never tried them... but they're meant to be quite good).

Pat Logsdon
12-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Get a Simpletech if you can - they've never had the problems that the SanDisks have had. They're slightly slower, but rock solid.

Chairface1
12-13-2003, 07:39 AM
What about cards from Viking Components?

dh
12-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Has anyone ever seen a list of which company makes which brands?
That would be really interesting. There are a lot more brands than there are manufacturing plants for these things.

senfeng
12-14-2003, 01:55 PM
I've got a Toshiba and haven't experienced any probs. I haven't heard any negatives with their SD cards either.

JustinGTP
12-15-2003, 05:13 AM
Kingston is pretty good in my experience so far!

Pat Logsdon
12-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Has anyone ever seen a list of which company makes which brands?
That would be really interesting. There are a lot more brands than there are manufacturing plants for these things.
Agreed. Mr. Happy Cheesecake from the Dell boards put together a nice list that's hosted by Aximsite.com. Check it out here (http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm).

More than you probably ever wanted to know about SD card problems! :mrgreen:

Barak
12-15-2003, 01:15 PM
What about cards from Viking Components?

I had 2 Viking cards and both were terrible. Haven't bought another from
them. I use Kingston now and they seem rock solid.

CorysWorld
12-15-2003, 02:56 PM
I would recommend the SanDisk Ultra II SD Cards. I have a 256mb one and it is great, fast, and no problems at all.

I also have the SanDisk Ultra II CF for my Digital Camera this card is fast and I recommend it

dh
12-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Agreed. Mr. Happy Cheesecake from the Dell boards put together a nice list that's hosted by Aximsite.com. Check it out here (http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm).

More than you probably ever wanted to know about SD card problems! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the link. It appears that the best way to get a reliable SD card is to make sure it's made in Japan.
Since the Japan made cards all seem to have the same code format, I assume they all come from the same company, either Toshiba or Panasonic.