View Full Version : Is my SD slot going bad?

gai-jin
12-11-2003, 09:47 PM
I have an I700 phone and love it. Recently, I've began using my sd cards More and more. last night, when browsing a directory of audio files, only half would play. then, my Sd card diSappeared as though I had removed the card. the same thing happened today. Now, I put in another SD card, refreshed the dir, But it Still doesn't see the card. do I need to call vzw about a warranty exchange?

thanks
gai-jin

Pat Logsdon
12-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Let me go out on a limb and guess that you have a SanDisk SD card? Bad SanDisk cards are a well-documented problem - a simple search on this site will turn up lots of information and ranting.

Even if it's not a SanDisk branded card, the majority of SD cards are rebranded SanDisks. If VZW will replace it, that would be easiest. If they won't, you'll have to contact SanDisk (or whoever made the card) and set up an RMA.

gai-jin
12-11-2003, 11:23 PM
One is a Sandisk, the other Pny

But it it is a bad Card,why do neither one work?

Pat Logsdon
12-11-2003, 11:46 PM
I believe that PNY is also a rebranded SanDisk, but that is a little strange that both would stop working in the same device at the same time. Do you have an SD card reader you could try the disk in? Or do you know someone else with a device that has an SD slot?

One thing you might want to do is look at the card in File Explorer. If you see a bunch of directories with "." as the directory name, or just a bunch of garbage, the card is definitely bad, and should be replaced.

gai-jin
12-12-2003, 01:40 AM
I put the card my desktop card reader, and it seems to be working fine. I'm able to play a video directly from the card.

Also, once the ppc loses the sd card, I have to soft reset to get it to find it again.

When I access the card from the ppc and have trouble, it's not that just that I can't get to the data or good data, but rather that the PPC suddenly doesn't see the card at all.

I called vzw, and of course their answer is 'hard reset'. If that doesn't work though, they say they'll send me a new one.

Gai-jin

Janak Parekh
12-12-2003, 04:32 AM
I have an i700 too, and I'd guess that the SD card disappears once a month at most. A soft-reset cures it. Nothing to the extent of the troubles you have. I'm using a 512MB Lexar -- not sure if it's Sandisk-rebranded or not. Overall, I find the SD card's operation very stable.

It could be incompatibility with software, perhaps. Do a backup, a hard reset, and play with the device for a couple days in a minimal configuration.

--janak

P.S. Moved the thread to a more appropriate forum. ;)

skipp3r
06-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Hello all.

New, but not a newbie . . .

Related question, I just got an i700 days ago and was looking to gat a SD card this weekend.

What is the best 512 card?

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 04:54 AM
What is the best 512 card?
I've heard that Panasonic's is the best. I have a Lexar and it runs fine, although I've heard mixed reports with Lexar.

--janak

Brad Adrian
06-25-2004, 05:02 AM
In other words, the best thing to do is avoid SanDisk and PNY if possible.