View Full Version : Could you go 'unmobile' for a week?

Candygogo
12-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Now I realise that many here need to be able to email, use some kind of networking, and/or wifi for job purposes, so that'll be allowed. Also, business calls on the cell, faxes (from either computer or pda) as well. Emergencies, but of course.

However...

Barring that, could you go a week without sending/receiving emails, sms/mms, wifi, bluetooth, connections to the internet in anyway shape or form?

Thinking....

Not even using IR to beam messages to another person neither!

Vincent M Ferrari
12-11-2003, 04:56 AM
I've tried it. The answer is a resounding no :-)

I couldn't even stay away from e-mail and such on my honeymoon. Every morning while my wife was in the shower I hooked up to the internet with my Axim to check my personal and business e-mail.

Nope... I'm addicted and their ain't nuttin' I can do about it. :mrgreen:

Falstaff
12-11-2003, 05:02 AM
There's no way I could go a week without any form of internet. I'm moving next weekend so I won't have DSL the entire weekend so I don't know what I'm going to do. Whenever I go away on trips where I can't access the internet, as soon as I get back I open up Outlook and read my e-mail and browse forums/news sites. The internet is my source for communications (friends and family), news, weather, tv, movies, games, bank, web design, shopping, and of course the most important of all the PPCT Forum :D

Jason Dunn
12-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Believe it or not, I can, and have, and it's quite refreshing actually. I plan on being offline the whole time I'm in Mexico over Christmas. :D

Vincent M Ferrari
12-11-2003, 05:20 AM
You are a man of great willpower, my friend ;-)

PetiteFlower
12-11-2003, 05:23 AM
I do it while I'm on my camping vacation in the summer. This year I took my PPC with me, and I read ebooks on it, and admittedly I did connect once to check the weather, but I chose not to check my email or go on IM or do any random surfing; I turned off all my email lists and just went completely unconnected. It was a nice change of pace! There's just something wrong about being in the middle of the woods and surfing the web or chatting!

Brad Adrian
12-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Blasphemers! All of you!!!!!

Candygogo
12-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Blasphemers! All of you!!!!!

Not me! I can answer my own question with a resounding: Hell No!!! :wink:

Now granted, a computer, pda, and a cell phone can do other things besides internet access...but I want all of mine to do those things, dammit! :)

maximus
12-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Barring that, could you go a week without sending/receiving emails, wifi, bluetooth, connections to the internet in anyway shape or form?

Yes, expecially on vacations, with a digital camera on my hand.
I can still use the PPC for mp3/divx, right ?

Barring that, could you go a week without sending/receiving sms/mms

NO. Sms is like air to me. I will die if I dont sms someone in 5 minutes. :mrgreen:

Dave Beauvais
12-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Could I? Yes. Would I want to? Um, no. :) E-mail, my mobile phone, Pocket PC, and the Internet in general have become such an integrated part of my daily life that it would be very difficult to "unplug" for an entire week. I certainly could do it, but I'd be stressing out the whole week about my various mailboxes bouncing messages because they have hit their quota because of spam. Besides, I'd have nightmares about returning here to PPC Thoughts and having thirty-seven pages of new posts to wade through. :lol:

That said, I have gone as long as fourteen days without any Internet access, but I had a phone with me. (Pre-Pocket PC days.) Not totally unplugged, I suppose, but I did feel very out of touch with no e-mail access whatsoever. 8O This was long enough ago that spam wasn't at the epidemic levels it is today, so none of my accounts overflowed.

tanalasta
12-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Could I? Yes. Would I want to?

I agree with that :) I've got no problem with going away and leaving everything behind... being totally uncontactable for a couple of days! But the question would then be: Would I really want to spend hours going through all the backlog of emails, forum posts and whateverelse that didn't get done during that time?

Besides, who knows when a friend may ring up for another trip to the bar ;)

piperpilot
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
I do it while I'm on my camping vacation in the summer. This year I took my PPC with me, and I read ebooks on it, and admittedly I did connect once to check the weather, but I chose not to check my email or go on IM or do any random surfing; I turned off all my email lists and just went completely unconnected. It was a nice change of pace! There's just something wrong about being in the middle of the woods and surfing the web or chatting!

I agree. I did a week in a state forest in Pennsylvania last summer and had to go without as I couldn't even get a cell phone connection. I read ebooks, which is a huge advantage of PDAs over real books since you can bring along several books, magazines and games without having to account for the weight and bulk in your backpack. With an extra battery for my iPAQ 5455, I was able to make it the whole week. I just had to be very judicious about how long I used it each day. Now when I'm at home, however, it's a different story. I feel compelled to be connected several times a day to surf, check e-mail, etc.

disconnected
12-11-2003, 03:59 PM
I could go without being connected for that long, if necessary, but the thing I could NOT be without is my Pocket PC, especially for ebook reading.