View Full Version : WiFi Distance Record Set - 82 Miles In Utah

Ed Hansberry
12-10-2003, 10:00 PM
<a href="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/10/0255249&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=137&tid=146&tid=193&tid=95&tid=99">http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/10/0255249&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=137&tid=146&tid=193&tid=95&tid=99</a><br /><br />82 miles?!?! :shocked!: This seems to be more of a one time shot than anything else. Still pretty cool. Yeah, I'd give up my cell phone for VoIP on my Pocket PC. :mrgreen:

MasterOfMoo
12-10-2003, 10:07 PM
um, HOLY CRAP....

Of course, I realize that the flat landscape and ideal weather conditions, distance from signal interference obstacles, etc. -- But still very cool.

- Moo

Jason Dunn
12-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Very cool. Just wait until ultra-wide band starts to roll out - that will really make an impact. I wonder how the cell carriers are going to react to that?

jlp
12-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Did you read the first comment in the /. forum?!
"In other news, new cases of cancer have appeared all over the Weber State University campus."

that_kid
12-10-2003, 10:25 PM
WOW 8O I need to try something like that. Too bad the fcc limits the power for wifi to 1watt output and 4 watts eirp. I'm running .704 watts to a 15 db gain cell site antenna and I can get fairly far but it's nowhere near 82miles.

Jonathan1
12-10-2003, 10:50 PM
WTH?!?! 8O

Mmmm I wanna wardrive with that rig. Look!!! I just discovered 3000 access points in 10 seconds. :D
The scary part is that the hardware they are using isn't all that specialized.

Antenas - PARABOLIC maxi, 27 dBi - product of INTERLINE
Access points - INTEL Pro/Wireless 2011 Access Point - made by SYBMOL
Cables and connectors - cables BELDEN H-1000, H-155, RG-316, connectors VITELEC
Wireless cards - Lucent ORiNOCO PC Card Silver/chipset Agere, ZCom XI-300/chipset Intersil
aMPLIFIER - TONZE 2.4 GHz, 500 mW

joelevi
12-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Ed (or any other reader),

Are you using VOIP on Pocket PC now? If so what program (URL)? And what SIP/provider are you using?

- Joe Levi, www.JoeLevi.com
(Weber State University Graduate and kontinuing edukashun studint)

David Prahl
12-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Keep in mind that this is only the longest 802.11b shoot in the United States, not the world. I seem to remember another team in Europe that shot a signal from a high altitude balloon down to earth (GPS-based targeting).

Makes me want to build a Cantenna! http://www.cantenna.com/

Stone
12-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Yeah!! My Alma Mater set a record! w00t! :mrgreen:

Ed Hansberry
12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Keep in mind that this is only the longest 802.11b shoot in the United States, not the world. I seem to remember another team in Europe that shot a signal from a high altitude balloon down to earth (GPS-based targeting).
Well, this is the terrestrial record. You shoot a signal over 100 miles straight up and its usefulness to me goes waay down. :wink:

Joe - no, no VoIP because there is no point in having it in my house with my wlan. I'd do it though if they got WiFi towers up that basically killed the cell phone business.

stevey500
12-10-2003, 11:52 PM
WOW!! I am over here in utah.. about 2 hrs away from Salt Lake City.. Wonder where they were testing it :?: Lol.. THAT IS AWSOME!! I WANT THAT ROUTER!!

joelevi
12-10-2003, 11:53 PM
[quote=David Prahl]Joe - no, no VoIP because there is no point in having it in my house with my wlan. I'd do it though if they got WiFi towers up that basically killed the cell phone business.

I'd love to have VOIP in my house... I also have WIFI coverage at 3/4 of the locations that I regularly work from, and while on campus at, yes, Weber State University.

So VOIP via WIFI on a Pocket PC would work out GREAT for me... I've tried with one SIP and one software provider, but never was able to make a successful call (X-Ten and iConnectHere).

Ideas?

that_kid
12-11-2003, 12:00 AM
JoeLevi

Which build of x-lite did you try? I'm using and old version of x-pro because the new version doesn't work well at all, but the older version with vonae woks great. I also agree with Ed, if there was wifi around like there's cellular coverage sprint would be really upset with me cause I'd drop them in a heartbeat.

Timothy Rapson
12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
I wonder if my Grandpa could have done better.

Whenever we drove past a radio antena in our little county (there was only one, for WLEW in Bad Axe, Michigan) he would tell us how he could hear the signal inside his head even without a radio on....because of the metal plate they put in his head from WWII. In fact, the plate bothered him often so the boys would have to do his chores.

When he was 85 (and senile) he fell and my Dad took him to the emergency room. When they ordered X-Rays, my Dad told them they would not be readable because of the metal plate. The X-Ray tech said. "He doesn't have any metal plate."

David Prahl
12-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Wow! Quite the story!

joelevi
12-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Which build of x-lite did you try? I'm using and old version of x-pro because the new version doesn't work well at all, but the older version with vonae woks great. I also agree with Ed, if there was wifi around like there's cellular coverage sprint would be really upset with me cause I'd drop them in a heartbeat.

Kid, would you mind providing a link for Vonae and the older distribution of x-pro? Also, do you know (or have a link for) the SIP settings that x-pro is going to ask for?

sponge
12-11-2003, 01:20 AM
I wonder if my Grandpa could have done better.

Whenever we drove past a radio antena in our little county (there was only one, for WLEW in Bad Axe, Michigan) he would tell us how he could hear the signal inside his head even without a radio on....because of the metal plate they put in his head from WWII. In fact, the plate bothered him often so the boys would have to do his chores.

When he was 85 (and senile) he fell and my Dad took him to the emergency room. When they ordered X-Rays, my Dad told them they would not be readable because of the metal plate. The X-Ray tech said. "He doesn't have any metal plate."

Wow.. did he actually tell whast on the radio too?

bdegroodt
12-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Uh oh! I see a battle of the WiFi researchers evolving. This title belonged to UCSD's HPWREN (http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,75830,00.html) this time last year with a distance of 72 miles over water (an apparently rough environment for radio signals due to reflection). I wonder if the telcos are going to miss this one the way the were blindsided by VoIP and cry unfair again.

OSUKid7
12-11-2003, 04:34 AM
That's pretty cool. Not sure if it's fully FCC compliant hehe...

And I also am interested in VoIP over WLAN on my PocketPC. I am actually working on a two-year science project with a professor at Ohio State University that has to do with VoIP and perhaps (if I have time) VoIP over WLAN.

My main concern is there are no free services to make VoIP to POTS calls. I know there are services available that are fairly cheap, but hey, I'm always looking for free stuff :mrgreen:

I haven't really tried VoIP on my PocketPC yet, but have tried X-LiteFWD and some other apps (don't remember them now) on my PC. So has anyone gotten it to work on their PocketPC?

that_kid
12-11-2003, 04:48 AM
I use voip on my pocketpc all the time. Works great.

OSUKid7
12-11-2003, 12:15 PM
I use voip on my pocketpc all the time. Works great.

What app(s) do you use? And can you make VoIP to POTS calls, or just regular VoIP calls? That's the main thing holding me back, since no one I know really uses VoIP much.

that_kid
12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm using vonage's (http://www.vongage.com) softphone service with xten's (http://xphone.xten.net) x-pro sip client. I aslo use free world dialup (http://fwd.pulver.com) and with vonage I can make and recieve pstn calls without any problems. With free world dialup I can recieve calls via pstn through Libretel (http://.libretel.com) and I can make toll free pstn calls as well. I'm in the process of buildin a linux based pbx where I can then use my existing voip service with vonage through any connected device.