View Full Version : "Guest" folder taking up 600Kb

lanwarrior
12-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi all,

I found out, using Resco Explorer, that there is exist a folder called "\Windows\Pofiled\guest" which is taking up 647 kb. Inside this "guest" folder, there are 3 other folders with one, "Temporary Internet Files" taking the most space.

I am sure I never used "Guest" to sync with my PocketPC, so why does this folder exist and can I delete it?

Thanks!

dhettel
12-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Sounds to me like you are using Journal Bar? Or you have in the pass. This would be the files for Journal Bar, or a program like this.

David

lanwarrior
12-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Dhettel,

Yes, I did use Journal Bar, but that was a long time ago and I have hard reset my 5455.

But now you mentiond it, I believe this is used by Wordmate 2003 to gather weather data, since it does connect to the .net to ge it.

However, the data in this folder is old, dated 05-2003. Furthermore, something is "locking" this folder as I can't even rename it.

Do you have this folder?

joelkx
12-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Hi lanwarrior,
It's quite odds for wm2003 to assume that all users even we enter owner name to be guest. Not like in XP wen can create profile use our name.

Ok. that folder used by PIE to store/record all website address that you been visited in a file name called "index.dat". that file use normal procedure cannot be delete, so that file will be big and bigger (my already take space 1,3MB :( but I do some trick using regestry edit I can erase to free my memory :lol: ).

h3535
06-17-2004, 07:27 PM
:)

the index.dat is getting larger and larger on my h2210, i searched several pocketpc discussion sites, and found the solution at

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?threadid=26265&highlight=index.dat

If you'd rather not deal with the registry, there's another way to delete the index file...although the OS won't allow you to delete the Content.IE5 folder, it will allow you to rename it.

Do the following:

1) Soft reset.
2) Using Explorer, rename the folder.
3) Soft reset again. You'll now find both your renamed folder and a new Content.IE5 folder with an empty index file.
4) Delete the renamed folder. Done!

John