View Full Version : iPaq 2210/2215 Memory Loss

ace3k
12-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Yesterday, when I inserted the power charger cord into my iPaq 22xx, ipaq automatically started. Then it asked me to align the screen, enter the owner information. It seems it lost all the settings and it became a virgin again. Anyone noticed this behaviour???

AS

Korlon
12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Have to ask the obvious question(s) here: How long ago did you last use it? How long did you use it between charges?

It sounds like the battery ran down.

ace3k
12-08-2003, 06:43 PM
it was around 48 hrs....so you are saying if the batter runs out, it does a hard reset.

Also whats a different between HARD and SOFT Reset and how do you do both of them

Korlon
12-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Yes, running out of juice will make the unit hard reset.

A hard reset is like turning your desktop PC off. It cuts power to the machine and erases volatile memory (RAM). Unlike your desktop PC, your PDA stores programs and such in this volatile memory, and thus your data is lost during a hard reset.

A soft reset is more akin to having your desktop PC "restart". You can clear out clutter that may be slowing you down, reset certain settings, etc. But your data is preserved.

See your manual for instructions on executing hard/soft resets.

ace3k
12-08-2003, 10:24 PM
so whats the best way I dont let the juice run out????

Whats the button we press at the back of the iPaq...is that soft reset or a hard reset???

AS

Korlon
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I have no problem going 48 hours or more with normal usage. What I suspect in your case is that either you don't turn off your device after using it or you use it for playing music/videos, which can drain your battery quickly. I would suggest that you monitor your battery level during the day, turn your device off when not in use, and, if possible, let it recharge overnight, every night.

As for that button, I would suggest reading your manual. I use a Dell Axim and can't speak to the specifics of your hardware.

Steven Cedrone
12-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Whats the button we press at the back of the iPaq...is that soft reset or a hard reset???

Soft reset...

Steve

Christian
12-09-2003, 05:28 PM
My iPaq 2210 has hard reset itself three times now and every time the battery was at least 60% charged. The last time, it was 98% charged after the reset, and did so about five minutes after my last use. This behavior has made me a believer in backup software, but I have had to stop using my PPC for critical data entry. :cry:

Kati Compton
12-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Sounds to me like you either need to exchange it at the place of purchase or call HP for warranty service...

Christian
12-09-2003, 06:08 PM
I ordered mine direct from HP, but this is my third PDA that has given me trouble like this so I've decided to just live with the occasional forced backup. :?

ace3k
12-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Which software are you using to backup and are you backing up to CF or SD??

AS