View Full Version : Problem with Radeon 9600 pro on C&C Generals ?

maximus
12-08-2003, 05:49 AM
Specification :
Asus A7V with ROM version 1005
Athlon C 1.1ghz
Radeon 9600 pro with catalyst 3.2 and 3.9
Win XP with 512mb RAM

A friend of mine (a tough opponent in C&C generals and zero hour) is using an older Athlon C 1.1ghz, Asus A7V motherboard, and TNT2 VGA card. He is constantly lagged in battle due to his older TNT2 card. So I shipped a radeon 9600 pro card that I no longer used from singapore, and installed it on his PC. Strangely, the radeon seems to make the PC unstable. It crashed a lot, and yesterday, it gave a full stop to windows XP. The message was 'To avoid damage in your hardware, windows has been stopped. Try removing all new hardware added to the system. Try replacing your video card/driver. Windows registry corrupted'. When rebooted, the same stop occured again.

I promptly removed the radeon card and replaced it with the original TNT2 card, and do a fresh installation of windows XP. Installation failed 4 times with different messages (a file cannot be written, registry error, etc. etc.) .. finally installation went succesfully on the 5th try. So, now the PC is back with the TNT2 card.

What happened ? Anyone experienced the same ? I noticed that the PC went nutz after running C&C generals on the radeon 9600 pro. Everything was fine before that. We used both catalyst 3.2 and 3.9 during the process. Same result.

So, is it save to switch VGA cards frequently ? When not running C&C generals, use the radeon into the PC. When running C&C generals, put the TNT2 card into the PC ?