View Full Version : i need some help picking a pocket pc

gto
12-07-2003, 07:58 PM
I want some thing thats relativly cheap, somethin around the 200 dollar areamaybe a little more. I want something i can play games on without having to worry about it lagging and the processor speed.i would really like to listen to some music on it to.I would also like to plan some things on and maybe being surfing the internet on it somewhere down the line. i would also like to have Pocket PC and have a nice crisp colorful screen. I have been leaning towards the Dell Axim Basic. I s this a good pocket pc? What do you guys think would be a good pda for me?thanks for the help.(hope i put this in the right forum)

PetiteFlower
12-07-2003, 10:22 PM
My X5 basic serves me very well.

gto
12-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Also since I wanted to download programs and music etc. onto it would i be able to download them onto my computer and then transfer them to the pocket pc or would i have to get a wireless service of some kind for the pocket pc and download them straight onto from the place where you download?please tell me if i need to be clearer

shawnc
12-08-2003, 12:54 AM
Either way will work just fine. I always transfer to my PC then copy to my SD card.

I agree with Petite Flower, if price is a big concern, look seriously at the X5. Dual slots give the option of using either CF or SD. With CF being much more economical, this option is a big advantage.

dh
12-08-2003, 01:35 AM
I have an Axim and agree with Petite and Shawn. The X5 is no longer the flavor of the week, but the build quality is excellent and it still can't be beat for value. I have not been excited enough with any of the newer models to want to upgrade. I've been very well looked after by Dells support guys as well.

Then again, I wanted to get a basic, budget priced PPC for a Christmas present for my daughter. She's ten, has been using my old Palm Vx and wants a few more features.

I got her the Toshiba e355, which cost just over $160.00. I've played with it a little bit and it seems to be a very nice device, can't beat the price. I wouldn't get one for myself because I use both the card slots on my Axim, the e355 has only an SD slot. For anyone that can get by with a maximum of 512MB of storage, the e355 seems to be a good low cost option - much better than the Vx :lol:

maximus
12-08-2003, 01:41 AM
Another vote for Axim X5 here.

gto
12-08-2003, 04:43 AM
what aobut the axim x3. it is cheaper than the x5 where i have found it and i like its look better

Vincent M Ferrari
12-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Problem with the X3 is that you lose the dual slot functionality and from what I understand you also lose some battery life (the x3 only has a 900 mA battery as opposed to the x5's 1400 mA battery)

I don't know how much either of those factors make to you, but they are something you should consider.

nosmohtac
12-08-2003, 06:20 AM
I would definitely go with the X5. I would, however, go with the advanced. It's on sale right now for $269 USD. You can't beat the price and features you get with the X5. I wouldn't get an X3 = 1 slot. It depends on what you are going to do most with it, but many people use wireless, and would be plenty happy with the X3 with built in wireless and 1 sd slot. I would much rather have 2 slots and a WiFi CF card.

senfeng
12-08-2003, 10:00 AM
You may also want to look at some of the FACTORY refurbished PDA's. I picked up a Toshiba e755 off of eBay for $220. Excellent screen. CF and SD card slots. Built in WiFi. Fast.

Thinkingmandavid
12-08-2003, 05:55 PM
The x5 is a good choice and as mentioned above, at 269, that is one good deal. For what you get and for what you are after it appears to be a good match.
Concerning dual slots, most are coming out with only the sd slot, if you are really needing both then you are still at the x5 for the amount of money you want to spend.
If you want something with wireless already installed then you are only left adding the bluetooth sd card.