View Full Version : PocketPC for WiFi - which would you recommend and why?

billuk
12-05-2003, 09:28 AM
My Jornada 545 is poorly at the moment. I thinking of replacing it with a unit that connects to my wireless network. While I was looking at the Dell Axim X3i or the HP IPAQ 4150 I was wondering if there were any good (and not too expensive) alternatives - maybe using a WiFi card in the CF slot?

Price and battery life are my main concerns.

Thanks,

Bill

Sven Johannsen
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
I'd go for the 4150. The big advantage IMHO to a built in WiFi is that you can turn it off. I don't think there is a single CF card WiFi driver that lets you turn off the WiFi, you have to pull the card.

4150 has pretty much everything all the others do, plus built in BT as well as the WiFi, in a great form factor.

shawnc
12-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Your situation sounds very similar to where I was. Considering that I just ordered the 4155, I would have to agree with Sven.

David Prahl
12-05-2003, 07:53 PM
I would disagree - he's looking for "Price and battery life", and considering "a WiFi card in the CF slot." Besides lacking a CF slot, the 4150 is a tad expensive.

I would suggest getting the Dell Axim X5 advanced. You can add wireless for about $50-70 USD, battery life is good, and the price is great.

Hopefully we'll have a review of the X3i coming out in the next few weeks, so you might wait for that (even with rumors of bad battery life).

Falstaff
12-05-2003, 08:13 PM
You should look at the Toshiba e755, now with the e805 out, the price should be dropping soon.

shawnc
12-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Upon further review, I agree with David. If battery life and price are the top considerations, I would recommend the X5 + CF card. The X5 is my current machine and it is priced right and the battery life phenomenal.

My initial reply was based on my own current situation.

MLO
12-09-2003, 03:49 PM
You should look at the Toshiba e755, now with the e805 out, the price should be dropping soon.

I wouldn't. Toshiba was my first foray into the world of Pocket PC. I had problems with all of the units I tried (two 310s and one 335). The 755 may work well, but I decided to try hp's line.

MLO

Mark_Venture
12-14-2003, 05:01 PM
... The big advantage IMHO to a built in WiFi is that you can turn it off. I don't think there is a single CF card WiFi driver that lets you turn off the WiFi, you have to pull the card...
I believe I read the Socket Low Power Wi-Fi card's driver allows you to turn it off/on without removing it.

And if you can use the Senao drivers with your CF wifi card you can turn the card off without removing. However, if the iPAQ powers off or "goes to sleep", when it turns back on, the Wi-Fi card is also powered back on and you have to manually turn it back off again.

For how to install the Senao drivers see Step-by-Step PocketWarrior Installation using Intersil-based 802.11b CF cards (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86559) or Glen8's post in this thread...I need a wifi card for my H2215 - to work with my Linksys (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17236&highlight=)

Vulcan
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
I see that Tosihiba has the E750 at $100 off and they are tossing in the Expansion Pack for free as a Xmas special.....Saw it on the Toshiba Canada website.

paulzazzarino
12-27-2003, 07:00 PM
All 3 manufacturers are now coming out with lower priced models
with built-in wi-fi prices range from $370 -> $400

Sven Johannsen
12-27-2003, 11:28 PM
I believe I read the Socket Low Power Wi-Fi card's driver allows you to turn it off/on without removing it.

Well, I have one of those and no, you couldn't turn it of in PPC2002 and you can't even get to the thing in WM2003 (Wizards are nice but leave me some control please)

Can't speak to the other options listed, but they sound worth looking into. Still think that if WiFi is high on the list of required functions, built-in is the way to go. JMHO.

i_spock
12-28-2003, 12:06 AM
If you want to consider going for a used device, you can get an ipaq 2215 for a little over $200 on ebay if you're persistant, and a wifi cf card for 50-70. Plus, then you have a PDA that has both CF and SDIO slots, is pretty pocketable, and has a wealth of hardware ad-ons available for it.