View Full Version : Plz help, USB Bluetooth questions

Tripz
12-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Hi all, i am really confused on what the differances are between...

a usb bluetooth adaptor
http://www.handheldcanada.com/Stores/handheld/ProductImages/AN0009_small.jpg

a bluetooth access point
http://www.handheldcanada.com/Stores/handheld/ProductImages/AN0003_small.jpg

and a usb bluetooth dongle
http://www.handheldcanada.com/Stores/handheld/ProductImages/WN0001_small.JPG

what are each used for? I am just interested in internet connections between my desktop and PPC in the home as well as file transfer. thanks!

dhettel
12-05-2003, 07:25 AM
I believe that the first and the last are basically the same. Either one, depending on the software you use with it, should do basically what you want. The key here is the software more than the hardware. IMHO you want the newest version of the WidComm software you can find. That may mean you want to look at the TDK hardware, and software. Also the hardware will determine the range at which you can do this. Widcomm now has the software locked to the hardware, for the most part. And not all manufactures are updating the software to the newest versions.

Now the Access point should let you do what you want with more than one PPC at a time. My experience is the Bluetooth Dongle will only allow you to connect to one PocketPC at a time.

David

JvanEkris
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM
No 1 and No 3 are just another name for the same type of toy. A Bluetooth Access point is a totally different ballgame. A good accesspoint can work without a PC, and therefor comes in very handy when you want to use it as a way to connect your PDA to the internet, without the need to boot a desktop. But, i connected a Bluetooth-USB-dongle (=no 1 and No 3) to my server, so it acts like an access point.

Jaap

Tripz
12-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys, i picked up a D-link usb bluetooth adapter and i'm currently connected here via bluetooth/activesync. The only thing is i cannot get msn messenger to work! any help plz?

also, range on the d-link is rated at 33feet. The range is actually MUCH less. Question is, do the dongles with the flip up antennas have more range in anyone's experiances? i've seen some rated upto 100meters! thanks

Mitchybums
12-07-2003, 02:15 AM
the range depends on both sides.
You can have a super dongle, but if your ppc has a crappy bluetooth, it aint gonna work on 100 ft.
I gave up on bluetooth and got me wifi instead.
I suppose a bluetooth with antenna would work better, but I used to use a 40ft usb extension cable.

Anyway, In active sync, make sure that pass through is set in the options.
It must be enabled.
If you do have internet access, but messenger aint working, you prob dont have the update installed.
as of october m$ changed the protocol for messenger so that programs like trillian can not use it anymore.

Good luck

Tripz
12-07-2003, 04:38 AM
thanks mitchy, ppc 2003 msn update worked :wink:
yea, i'm probablly going to give one of those usb adaptors with external antennas a try to see if the range increases. hopefully i'll get my network setup later this month then wifi it is.

Tripz
12-07-2003, 11:49 PM
ok, got a linksys bluetooth usb adapter with adjustable external antenna and the signal is MUCH better. range is good all throughout the house, basement and garage.
i also saw a belkin one for the same price which advertised 333ft range but had no external antenna. i opted for the linksys and am happy with it.
The D-Link DBT-120 is either going back or gonna be sold.

onepieceman
12-08-2003, 12:41 PM
I've got a Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter with a claimed 100m range, and it works fine throughout my house. Can't say I've taken it all the way to 100m, but certainly quite a few with walls in the way, and no problems.
However, I have noticed that my XDA2 battery plummets as soon as I start using the bluetooth. I'd gone the bluetooth route for two reasons; a) it's built in on my XDA, so I can keep my slot for other things, and b) the allegedly better battery life of Bluetooth. However, extrapolating from my usage thus far, I'd say I'd be lucky to get more than 3 hours continuous usage with the Bluetooth switched on. Is this normal? Does a high power dongle cause the XDA to transmit at higher power in sympathy?

Tripz
12-08-2003, 06:26 PM
hmmmm...normally u would get noticeably lower battery life when using bluetooth, but it would all depend on what class BT chip is in u're XDA. I would figure it's class 2 in most of the units out there with built in BT. If u're using a high power dongle, the XDA won't/can't transmitt higher than it's specified class rating and shouldn't have to because it's the higher power dongle which is doing most of the long range work (transmitting further and pulling in weaker signals).

I didn't really notice a differance in battery life in my unit between the two usb adapters i have....the D-link DBT-120 (class2) and the linksys adapter (class1), jus greater range. Hey, which belkin adapter do u have? i know there a couple different models i've seen....one with external antenna and one without.

onepieceman
12-09-2003, 12:45 PM
It has a little pop up antenna, about an inch or so long.

JvanEkris
12-09-2003, 01:27 PM
hmmmm...normally u would get noticeably lower battery life when using bluetooth, but it would all depend on what class BT chip is in u're XDA. I would figure it's class 2 in most of the units out there with built in BT. If u're using a high power dongle, the XDA won't/can't transmitt higher than it's specified class rating and shouldn't have to because it's the higher power dongle which is doing most of the long range work (transmitting further and pulling in weaker signals).Well,

Bluetooth devices power down their transmitter when possible. A class 1 device (my Loox for example) automatically powers down to the energy-level of a class 3 when my GSM is close enough....

Jaap

onepieceman
12-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Ah, so is the position that Bluetooth is only low power if you're close? If you move further away, then the PocketPC has to up its transmission power in order to get a stong enough signal through, reducing battery life in the process?
This would seem to make sense to me, but unfortunately it means that Bluetooth doesn't help me if I want low power wireless web browsing. I might as well go with WiFi (unless I need my slot).
You live and learn...

Tripz
12-11-2003, 07:13 AM
actually, dosen't wifi use even more power and would drain the battery more?
Bluetooth IS considered low power, and being a class 2 chip in the ppc's, the max power it will draw even if signal is weak, is 2.5mW compared to 100mW of a class 1. However, Wifi will give you longer range and a faster connection. (good for wireless web browsing) :wink:

Jvan: pretty cool, almost like a cell phone...powering up and down depending on signal strength. I always thought BT would operate at a set Power level.