View Full Version : Napster 2.0 on ppcs

arnage2
12-05-2003, 03:56 AM
is there a way that i can get music from napster 2.0 to play on my pocket pc?

David Prahl
12-05-2003, 04:08 AM
What format(s) is the music in?

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 04:30 AM
If you transfer it through WMP to the memory of the handheld you're fine. If you try to transfer it to the PPC through to an SD card, you're screwed, but from what I hear, CF cards are ok...

Jason Dunn
12-05-2003, 05:24 AM
If you try to transfer it to the PPC through to an SD card, you're screwed...

Why would that be? It should work just fine.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 05:39 AM
Well, someone posted about DRM music a while ago and they couldn't do it either. I tried it with Napster and it didn't work, but I don't have a CF card to try. Basically, if you try to copy a Napster song to a PPC SD card, you get a message in Media Player that says the license doesn't allow it to be copied there.

Major freaking annoyance.

The only way around it I've found is to burn and re-rip.

Jason Dunn
12-05-2003, 05:43 AM
Basically, if you try to copy a Napster song to a PPC SD card, you get a message in Media Player that says the license doesn't allow it to be copied there.

That would related to the DRM on the file from Napster 2.0, not from it being an SD card. The same problem should happen with a CF card if it's a DRM-protected music file...

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 05:44 AM
I agree... But informal testing here by other readers have proven that not to be the case which is even MORE FRUSTRATING ;-)

arnage2
12-05-2003, 11:41 PM
hey, thanks.
ill try transfering via wmp

ale_ers
12-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Did it work? I'm curious as to how it worked out for you.

ale_ers
12-30-2003, 03:10 AM
If anyone is interested, I just downloaded about a CD's worth of songs to my ipaq...I just used WMP and chose the memory card (SD card).
Everything worked great...I am a fan of the new napster now.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-30-2003, 03:12 AM
WTF! I gave up. I could not get it to work, period...

ale_ers
12-31-2003, 05:37 AM
I don't think I did anything special . I just downloaded the songs from Napster 2.0 then opened them up in WMP, chose copy to device then chose storage card.

rmarch
01-28-2004, 12:16 AM
WTF is right. I read all the posts about this and I seem to disprove any ray of consistency. I have a Tosh 755 with both an SD card, 2 CF cards, and an internal 32 MB Flash ROM (WMP9 sees it as a seperate card). I also have an SD and CF media card reader. I tried via WMP9 from two different computers as well - both XP (one XPMCE). It does not work to any removable memory CF, SD, or flash ROM from either computer either via docked in the Tosh or directly in the media card reader. Only works to the local ram memory in the Tosh.

This sucks as I like the integration of Napster into MCE and WMP9. How could they not have tested / made this work yet. I can not believe it is intentional. They seem to be the closest with MS at this point - at least in terms of integration.

Napster needs to get over the fact that they do NOT have an "iPod" with their Samsung player. To survive, they need to support a wide variety of hardware. The same business model the is working for iPod / iTunes will have no chance of working for Napster.

ale_ers
02-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Once again, I don't know what I might have done different, but I have consistently been buying songs and transferring them to my ipaq. I have been using my laptop, but I also have an MCE machine and I will try using that this weekend and report back (I just hope I don't change anything).

By the way RMarch, what do you like about the napster MCE integration? I think it is a little cumbersome switching between the remote and keyboard (some things you can't do w/ the keyboard). It also seems a little slow searching for songs as opposed to the non MCE version. Not to mention I have not found a way to buy a whole cd on the MCE version...it only seems to let me buy song by song. Then I have to burn in with WMP instead of the build in program. Maybe I'm missing something...maybe it is better if you have the premium version and use the radio feature?

ale_ers
02-18-2004, 10:50 PM
I tried it this week on my MCE machine and it worked fine again. I did notice a screen that popped up when in Windows Media Player that said something like "checking Napster" but then it transferred the songs I had just bought moments ago to my SD card.

Sorry to all of you that are having problems, if you have specific questions as to why your settings may be different than mine, I'll be happy to try to answer them. (I am running an ipaq 5455 w/ Windows Mobile 2003 and a 256 sd card if that helps).

As for right now I am downloading songs and easily transferring them on the new Napster, hopefully everyone will join me so that they get a few more songs. (I only found two that I was looking for that they didn't have but....)