View Full Version : Motorola MPx200 for only $29.95 on Amazon.com

Jason Dunn
12-04-2003, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=jasondunn-20&path=tg/detail/-/B0000DIXEV/qid%3D1070560298/sr%3D8-1' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...560298/sr%3D8-1</a><br /><br /></div>If you live in the US and are willing to sign up for an AT&amp;T service plan, you can get the awesome Motorola MPx200 for only $29.95 after all the rebates are said and done. Wow! 8O It sure didn't take them long to drive that price point down. It <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=jasondunn-20&path=tg/detail/-/B0000DIXEV/qid%3D1070560298/sr%3D8-1">doesn't get much cheaper than this</a> to get a Smartphone! [Affiliate]

Foo Fighter
12-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Good lord! Too bad they don't offer a Verizon phone deal. I really would LOVE to have that phone! :cry:

Mike Temporale
12-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Good Lord! Sometimes I really want to move south. :(

peterawest
12-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Well,

As long as you're talking about good deals at Amazon...

Did you see that Amazon is offering the Microsoft Wireless-G Notebook Kit for $129.99, and Microsoft is offering a $30 mail-in rebate, so the whole package is just $99.99. Since it qualifies for free shipping, that's the total price.

Microsoft Wireless-G Notebook Kit

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BZO5U/104-6302495-9675129

This kit includes the following equipment:

Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless Base Station: 802.11g wireless cable/DSL router and access point with 4-port Ethernet switch

Wireless Notebook Adapter: 802.11g/WiFi Cardbus PC Card network adapter

Although I have yet to purchase a Pocket PC with WiFi, I must say that I'm very pleased with my new WiFi setup in my apartment.

I'm saving up for the iPAQ 4155 to use with my WiFi setup.

Jason Dunn
12-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Good Lord! Sometimes I really want to move south. :(

Me too. :| Then I remember that Kevlar vests make me itchy. :lol:

Foo Fighter
12-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Me too. :| Then I remember that Kevlar vests make me itchy. :lol:

Oh come on. After you've been shot the first couple times, it doesn't hurt anymore. :wink:

mashtim
12-04-2003, 09:00 PM
While it makes me happy to see deals like this, it also irritates me. As an existing AT&T customer, I cannot get in on this deal. They want to charge me $350 or something ridiculous like that.....grrrrrrrr

Someone please tell me I'm missing something here! While I love my PPCs, my ideal mobile setup has always been a SmartPhone with an ultraportable/tablet pc (I travel for too long at a time to just carry my PPC with me).

As long as I'm ranting, though, I will say that this deal would be much more attractive if AT&T didn't charge an arm, leg and a foreskin for data.....

Oh yeah, I'm with Foo..... after the first few times of getting shot, the bullets whizzing by are no more annoying than a bee's buzzing...

Gator5000e
12-04-2003, 09:03 PM
AT&T is having significant problems right now. I ordered one directly from their web site and waited 3 wseeks to get it without any notification. Finally, after getting it (after many e-mails and PMs tothe online service reps) I received it and it was DOA. Couldn't turn it on or charge it. I have been calling for the next 3 weeks trying to get a replacement. (If anyone wants to check out the customer service forums go to see the problems, go to http://forums.attwireless.com/attws

After holding for hours (yes, hours) I finally reached a rep who, to her credit, was very honest with me and told me to just return the phone under the 30 day guarantee and go get one at a local store. Then she told me that very early in 2004 the MPx220 will be coming out, with WM 2003, BT and and integrated camera. It may be a lot more expensive then $29.99 but I am going to wait.

BTW, during this time while I was trying to get a working phone, I brought my dead phone into a local AT&T store to try to exchange it - they wouldn't do it even though they are supposed to - but the sales rep told me that AT&T was going to release a firmware update for the MPx200 to update the phone to WM 2003. Not sure how true it is, but I thought I would pass this info on.

thanos255
12-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Anyone know if you purchase a phone and plan from Amazon with AT&T, do you still have the 30 day remorse period to cancel the service. Or does amazon have a different cancellation policy?

Thanks
Thanos

dh
12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
As long as I'm ranting, though, I will say that this deal would be much more attractive if AT&T didn't charge an arm, leg and a foreskin for data
Yes, it's a shame that the carriers offering Smartphones are the ones with the worst data pricing.

Every time I get the Smartphone bug (more and more these days I must confess) I check ATTWS and Verizon and it seems a bad idea.

I also recently switched from ATTWS to Sprint and the phone service is ten times better. If I had to go back to GSM I would prefer T-Mobile to AT&T.

Foo Fighter
12-04-2003, 09:42 PM
AT&T is having significant problems right now. I ordered one directly from their web site and waited 3 weeks to get it without any notification. Finally, after getting it (after many e-mails and PMs tothe online service reps) I received it and it was DOA.

Well things aren't much better with Verizon, I can assure you. They recently introduced this MPx200 phone as part of their offerings. Even made front page news at CNET. It was listed on Verizon's web site two weeks ago, and I almost purchased one at that time, but decided to wait in case they should decide to offer other Smartphones as well. Amazingly, it is now GONE from the phone listing page. I sent customer service an email requesting information on this phone, and get this? They claim they DO NOT offer the Motorola MPx200, and never have? I swear, I'm going to start a suicide hotline for Verizon customers who (like myself) have been driven to the point of insanity!

dave
12-04-2003, 09:54 PM
i thought verizon had a Samsung smartphone....

Chris Spera
12-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Amazon won't sell me this phone because I live in Nashville, TN. (zip: 37215 or 3

Ain't that a hoot?!?

Christopher Spera

jfields
12-04-2003, 10:18 PM
Well things aren't much better with Verizon, I can assure you. They recently introduced this MPx200 phone as part of their offerings. Even made front page news at CNET. It was listed on Verizon's web site two weeks ago, and I almost purchased one at that time, but decided to wait in case they should decide to offer other Smartphones as well. Amazingly, it is now GONE from the phone listing page. I sent customer service an email requesting information on this phone, and get this? They claim they DO NOT offer the Motorola MPx200, and never have? I swear, I'm going to start a suicide hotline for Verizon customers who (like myself) have been driven to the point of insanity!

Verizon never carried the MPx200 they carry the Samsung i600 (a very similar phone) The Motorola phone is a GSM only phone and Verizon does not support GSM only CDMA.

Foo Fighter
12-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Verizon never carried the MPx200 they carry the Samsung i600 (a very similar phone) The Motorola phone is a GSM only phone and Verizon does not support GSM only CDMA.

Oops! You're right, wrong phone. And to think of all those nasty names I called that nice customer service woman. Was Crack whore really necessary? 8O :wink:

dh
12-04-2003, 10:54 PM
And Verizon are demanding a lot more than thirty bucks for the Samsung phone.

Foo Fighter
12-04-2003, 10:59 PM

Just a little. $500 to be exact! 8O I was under the impression that Windows Mobile Smartphones would cost around $300. :cry:

Jimmy Dodd
12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Amazon won't sell me this phone because I live in Nashville, TN. (zip: 37215 or 3

Ain't that a hoot?!?

Christopher Spera

Ditto for Knoxville. Maybe it's a TN thing. :roll:

dh
12-04-2003, 11:08 PM

Just a little. $500 to be exact! 8O I was under the impression that Windows Mobile Smartphones would cost around $300. :cry:
Yes, when you consider we are looking at a stripped down Pocket PC with some GSM or CDMA chips the pricing is really high.

And what happened to the carriers subsidising phone sales? If these guys want me to wait and not buy anything they are doing a fine job.

CTSLICK
12-04-2003, 11:09 PM
I might consider it if ATT had a reasonable all you can eat data plan like T-mobiles $20/month plan. But at $79.95/month for unlimited data I just can't do it. Oh yeah...specific to the phone there's that whole "oops...no bluetooth thing". Dang it!

Sheynk
12-05-2003, 12:34 AM
I might get flamed for this...but no camera, no BT...boohoo

cmchavez
12-05-2003, 12:55 AM

Flame! :D

I will be waiting for the next gen on this; always gotta wait for the rev 2 stuff from M$!

CTSLICK
12-05-2003, 01:32 AM

FLAME! :twisted:

Camera's...don't want 'em....don't need 'em

budkearney
12-05-2003, 04:26 PM
The MPx200 phone is now FREE (after rebates) at Amazon if you sign up for a service plan!

-PK

Mike Temporale
12-05-2003, 05:00 PM
The MPx200 phone is now FREE (after rebates) at Amazon if you sign up for a service plan!

-PK

IT IS TOO!! :twisted:

Why not Canada! why? Why? WHY? :bawl:

ahintz
12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
This is so maddening - I'd get this in a second if it just had Bluetooth. But everytime Amazon lowers the price it just gets more and more difficult...

Of course, then I think what my monthly bill will be given AT&T's data rates and I realize it is probably a good thing the phone doesn't have Bluetooth! :D

--Andrew

sullivanpt
12-05-2003, 07:32 PM
So can I get one free with a retention plan? I've already got ATTWS, and I want that phone. Maybe if I threaten to leave they'll offer me a deal? Thank heaven for number portability!

dave
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
in my experience at&t has been so arrogant they would watch you leave before offering you a deal on the phone, though number portability may cause a shift in attitude for them.

quesiton on the number portability.... does anyone know if you can take your number to a pre-paid (i.e. no contract) carrier? then you could leave and come right back to take advantage of the new contract phone subsidies.

ahhh, it gives consumers too much leverage so it probably isn't possible.

sullivanpt
12-05-2003, 10:51 PM
quesiton on the number portability.... does anyone know if you can take your number to a pre-paid (i.e. no contract) carrier? then you could leave and come right back to take advantage of the new contract phone subsidies.

I suspect it's possible but usually the 'new subscribers' clause specifically excludes customers who've had service with them in the last 90 days. Besides that, after you leave, their fixed costs to expunge (and reenter) you into their billing systems are spent. You should have much more leverage bargaining before you exit their service than after. The trick is talk to a rep who actually has the power to keep you.

jjohn
12-10-2003, 04:21 AM
Unfortunately LNP will not work with Prepaid service or paging. So the idea (though a good one) will not help you with getting a good deal on the Mx200. I say, just wait for the Mx220. They say possibly Feb? It should be worth the wait.