View Full Version : Pocket Informant vs. Agenda Fusion

danielrugby
12-04-2003, 06:46 AM
hello

I just want to know which of you prefer the PI or AF, please share your opninion.

thanks
Daniel

Kati Compton
12-04-2003, 06:52 AM
I think the general consensus is that the decision is a very personal one - each is better for different reasons, and for different people.

Most people (including me) suggest that you try both, and get the one you like better. They both have free trials, fortunately.

Jacob
12-04-2003, 07:12 AM
My first thought is "here we go again!" ;)

This comes up every once in a while and after pages of discussion, there isn't a best one.

Kati's right. Evaluate each for a period of time and the one that fits your life best - choose that one.

toxostoma
12-04-2003, 07:49 AM
I'll be real bold and risking getting flamed...

I love PI. I think it's one of the best applications I've ever used, desktop or PPC. It's interface is so awesome (especially for such a small screen) that it's scary 8O.

I've never used Agenda Fusion. (I'm being honest upfront). But, when I look at screen shots of the program, I slowly begin to feel nauseous and soon have to stop looking at them before I loose my lunch. I know that's harsh... I just find the layout / interface to be very busy looking and not something I'd want...

So, try it out for yourself. As for me, If I had to pick only one reason that I love my PPC, it would be PI. Without it... No - I don't even want to think about that!

Jerry Raia
12-04-2003, 07:58 AM
I like and use them both, what can I tell ya :drinking:

stitics
12-04-2003, 08:24 AM
I like and use them both, what can I tell ya :drinking:

I, too, use both...although not equally yet. I have been a long time user of AF but I haven't really learned my way around PI yet. I couldn't resist purchasing it when it was only ~$15 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21149&highlight=pocket+informant+sale).

Jerry Raia
12-04-2003, 08:50 AM
I started with PI, but am liking AF more and more now.

tanalasta
12-04-2003, 03:30 PM
I've been a PI user for quite a while now and I can strongly recommend it. But as the trial is fully functional, do try that first. It is though a matter of personal preference.

On a side note, PI is slightly cheaper... there is also a thread that's still active on the brighthand forums (www.brighthand.com) which you can find by searching for pocket informant discount. Whilst the developer (according to the PI forums) doesn't actively condone it, they are sharing recommendations/referral discount codes for 50% off.

Oh, and there's meant to be a new version of PI coming out late january that's meant to be even better!!! :)

dMores
12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
another vote for PI.

i too believe it's one of the best programs for the ppc. i wouldn't use my loox as frequently if i didn't have it.

but i agree, test drive them both, then decide.

mrkablooey
12-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Oh, and there's meant to be a new version of PI coming out late january that's meant to be even better!!! :)

Buying it now, you will still get the new version free. I believe Oct 15 was the start date for free upgrades.

ombu
12-04-2003, 10:15 PM
I think the general consensus is that the decision is a very personal one - each is better for different reasons, and for different people.

Most people (including me) suggest that you try both, and get the one you like better. They both have free trials, fortunately.

I agree, Kati is right, try both and after trial period is over, get rid of AF and enjoy PI!!! :lol: :twisted:

:oops: OK, OK, just another way to say I love PI, now serious, try both and go your own way...

Regards.

Rex
12-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Sorry to be that honest:

PI is for the amateur user. Its true that you will be "up and running" in a few minutes. But it does have significally less functions and customization possibilities like Agenda Fusion. I used PI for a few days because it looked familiar to my Filofax.

Now, version 5.3 of Agenda Fusion offers a Filofax view as well. And dozenz of other custom views. Well, you will definitely spent a few more time to learn how to use AF and all of his possibilities. But once everything is set up fine you will LOVE the programm and never go back to PI.

How Do I know? Because I used DateBk5 for my Palm and it was a rather similar experience: First I hated the hundred preference settings and the complexity of the program. But after -reading the manual- I realized the power of that application.

So if you consider to use your Pocket-PC as a professional daily, weekly and monthly life planner you should give AF a try... 8)

And if you just need a neat little datebook programm thats easy to handle and won´t bother you with complexity then use PI... :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-05-2003, 05:52 PM
PI is for the amateur user. Its true that you will be "up and running" in a few minutes. But it does have significally less functions and customization possibilities like Agenda Fusion. I used PI for a few days because it looked familiar to my Filofax.
Er, no. When did you last use PI? It also has tons of views, and you can customize views to your heart's content.

AF is a great program, but this isn't a valid comparison.

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 06:26 PM
But it does have significally less functions and customization possibilities like Agenda Fusion.

You can't have possibly tried PI in the last year. Seriously.

While I do agree that people need to try both and make the decision that best suits them, to say that PI is amateurish and lacks customization seriously undermines your opinion.

I actually find the exact opposite: So much customization that I've yet to get around to setting all the different options and tailoring them my way.

Jeff Rutledge
12-05-2003, 11:15 PM
And if you just need a neat little datebook programm thats easy to handle and won´t bother you with complexity then use PI... :wink:

This is the complete opposite of most other posts I've read. It much more common to read that PI is more feature-intensive and AF is a simpler alternative.
Which version of each are you using for comparison? I really don't think you could call PI simple if you've looked at any version since 3.6.

toxostoma
12-06-2003, 12:54 AM
PI is for the amateur user...

:drinking: :pukeface:

CTSLICK
12-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Sorry to be that honest:

Having started with AF and moved to PI I can only guess that your opinion of PI must be based on a much older version. PI is one of the most feature rich programs I have come across and has many levels of customization available to the user. Its a powerful piece of software that is a true personal information manager.

But I don't want to re-start the AF vs PI holy war again...so of course I will end with saying to the original poster...try them both. Make sure you spend enough time with both to explore a good portion of the options. Make sure to visit the PocketInformant Forums (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/). Load of info and helpful advice available.

Have fun.

Ripper014
12-06-2003, 08:07 PM
At the promotional price of Pocket Informant and the few things that bug me about Agenda Fusion... I am tempted to move back to Pocket Informant. I have finally loaded it in to test it (used to use it back in the old days v3.0). I found a few things that kinda bugs me... I noticed that one of my birthdays is showing on two days... the correct one and the day after..??? Also I only get one birthday icon on any given day... with Agenda Fusion I get one for each person's birthday. While we are on the topic of birthdays... on Agenda Fusion it normally shows me how old the Birthday person is... on Pocket Informant it either shows them as being 1 year old or nothing..??? Is this normal...? This is the third time I have reloaded it to give it a test run.... the first two times lasted less than 20 minutes.

Anyone...?

petvas
12-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Oh no, not again!!! Both programms are great and try them both first...