View Full Version : My First Pocket PC Death Experience...

mirkazemisaman
12-04-2003, 05:04 AM
Yesterday afternoon, having just come back from school I took my very dearly beloved Axim X5 out of my "pocket" to sync it... uhumm... her. After a few minutes I realized that 'she' had not synced, so I pick her up and tap her face (Dell Switching App) to see if Active Sync is running. I realize that she is not taking any screen input. So I soft reset her... same thing. Another soft reset and yet another one, but the problem wasn't resolved. So I give her a few moments to catch up her breath after so many soft resets and start getting her ready for a hard reset.

I told her that it (hard reset) won't hurt her and that she will be OK aftrewards and would be able to hear me again (input). She looked very innocent... I knew I had to do it. So I take her hat (CF) off and pet her on the head. Then a few moments of... of sadness and I had finally done it. I hard reset her. The first time I had ever done such a cruel thing to her. I looked at her for a few seconds without doing anything, thinking back at how unjustly I had just erased her memory but looking forward to restoring it...

Then I look at her face and I see that she is back and all fresh and is asking me something (alligning the screen). So I reply back and try to allign her face. I tried it many times, for about ten minutes, I was there "gently" and accurately tapping her face, but she never seemed to be able to talk about anything else, I figured she must have gone crazy.

So I get the phone and call her parents (Dell), and after going through some disciplinary actions, they determined that she is paralyzed and that she is basically dead with a beating heart.

They told me that they will send another child of theirs in two days to help me out, and that I will have to send my sweetheart's corpse back to them, once I recieve my "replacement" friend.

Dear My Axim, no other Axims will ever replace you... I hope that you are happy, wherever you are.

Love,

Your User

Dave Potter
12-04-2003, 05:34 AM
No offense - but does the way this 'touching' story is told give anyone else the creeps? Or is it just me?

It's a PDA!!!! Get a grip!!! Your a little too attached to an inanimate object.

Get a girlfriend!

Janak Parekh
12-04-2003, 05:49 AM
No offense - but does the way this 'touching' story is told give anyone else the creeps? Or is it just me?
Maybe it's a little over the top, but we all get attached to our personal devices to some extent. Why else would we be here? ;)

mirkazemisaman, sorry to hear about its demise. I assume you tried a full recharge, right?

--janak

sublime
12-04-2003, 05:58 AM
Bro, you have issues.

Jon Westfall
12-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Did the deceased have a name?

Jason Dunn
12-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Get a girlfriend!

Get a sense of humour! :lol: He was just having some fun, being expressive. Chill out...if you don't like it, keep clicking...

Steven Cedrone
12-04-2003, 06:21 AM
mirkazemisaman,

What a shame to lose one so young... You have my deepest sympathy... :wink:

Steve

Dave Beauvais
12-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Check out "Death: The Demise of a Mistress" and "Resurrection: She returns to me!" at this page (http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=listarticles&secid=3) at Pocket PC Addict. :)

ctmagnus
12-04-2003, 06:30 AM
A theme I'm very familiar with. Thank god for extended warranties!

jeasher
12-04-2003, 07:00 AM
I think mirkazemisaman needs a hard reset. :silly:

toxostoma
12-04-2003, 07:58 AM
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, and I'm not being overly critical, but YES. It freaked me out :)

Thinkingmandavid
12-04-2003, 08:48 AM
I think it was different which is why I liked it :D
Sorry to hear about that happening mirkazemisaman.

maximus
12-04-2003, 09:35 AM
mirkazemisaman, a very creative story :way to go:

Let us know whether the second one lasts longer than the first one :D

pocketpcfox
12-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Get a girlfriend!

Get a sense of humour! :lol: He was just having some fun, being expressive. Chill out...if you don't like it, keep clicking...

Exactly... this was clearly an attempt to laugh in spite of his loss. And by the way, those of us in relationships are always annoying our better halves with our PDA useage... what they deem "the competition."

piperpilot
12-04-2003, 01:32 PM
And by the way, those of us in relationships are always annoying our better halves with our PDA useage... what they deem "the competition."

Heck yeah, my baby actually slept with me last night! I was listening to a radio show on Replay Player and fell asleep. I woke up this morning with my kitty on the pillow next to my head (her usual spot) and my iPAQ tucked in under the covers next to me.

mirkazemisaman
12-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Just to make it clear, i am not obsessed with my Pocket PC at all. I perhaps care less about my PPC than 80% of all you readers, based on what I have read here before. It was solely humour (the story was true though)... didn't think you guys would take it seriously.

Anyways, hopefully the replacement will be here today.

Steven Cedrone
12-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Just to make it clear, i am not obsessed with my Pocket PC at all. I perhaps care less about my PPC than 80% of all you readers, based on what I have read here before.

I'll have you know I am not obsessed with my Pocket PC!!!

Shoot, just because it's always with me, and just because when I am not using it, I'm usually here, and...

Umm... Come to think of it, guilty as charged... :wink:

Steve

P.S. Don't worry, 96% of us knew you were joking...

Dave Potter
12-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Get a girlfriend!

Exactly... this was clearly an attempt to laugh in spite of his loss. And by the way, those of us in relationships are always annoying our better halves with our PDA useage... what they deem "the competition."

Guys - lighten up a little! :D

I was only kidding - although it did creep me out a bit. 8O

By the way - I know what you mean... my 'better half' does see my iPAQ as "the competition". Why are (some) women so insecure?

disconnected
12-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Also guilty! When I get a new Pocket PC, I tend to think of it as just a new body for the old one. Mine have all been iPAQs so far, so I just think of it (her) as iPAQ; my husband went from one of my old iPAQs to a Viewsonic, so we just call it ISonic. :D

mirkazemisaman
12-04-2003, 11:31 PM

I just got the replacement this afternoon and "so far" (2.5 hours as of now) it has functioned properly.

maximus
12-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Also guilty! When I get a new Pocket PC, I tend to think of it as just a new body for the old one. Mine have all been iPAQs so far, so I just think of it (her) as iPAQ; my husband went from one of my old iPAQs to a Viewsonic, so we just call it ISonic. :D

Now, this is scary. :D

ombu
12-05-2003, 03:53 AM
Just to make it clear, i am not obsessed with my Pocket PC at all. I perhaps care less about my PPC than 80% of all you readers, based on what I have read here before.

I'll have you know I am not obsessed with my Pocket PC!!!

Shoot, just because it's always with me, and just because when I am not using it, I'm usually here, and...

Umm... Come to think of it, guilty as charged... :wink:

Steve

P.S. Don't worry, 96% of us knew you were joking...

What about us? The 4% left I mean, please don't play with our feelings this way, just couldn't stop crying, it was too young to pass through, :bawl:, could be mine. Of course I'm not obsessed :drinking: , just won't live without my little "baby".

Thinkingmandavid
12-05-2003, 04:30 AM
This makes me wonder how many have named thier ppc? :mrgreen:
I have not named mine, but by the sound of it, there is more than likely a few out there out of the over 13,000 registered users on this forum.

Jon Westfall
12-05-2003, 04:52 AM
This makes me wonder how many have named thier ppc? :mrgreen:

Well, lets Find Out (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21573&highlight=)

maximus
12-05-2003, 07:22 AM
C'mon, it is not that weird to name a PPC, right ?

If you start naming the DVDs on your collections (Suzi for 'Brave Heart', Lisa for 'The Last of The Mohicans', Anne for 'The Rock', etc.) ... that is weird. :mrgreen:

JustinGTP
12-06-2003, 12:29 AM

I just got the replacement this afternoon and "so far" (2.5 hours as of now) it has functioned properly.

It? It??!!?

Lol, I thought your story was put together nicely and the hat (CF) etc. was amusing. Your way of putting is so much easier to read than a boring one saying that my "axim died"

Congrats! :way to go:

-Justin.

Duddy
12-06-2003, 11:15 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

(Dies from lack of oxygen)

(Falls through a large firey tunnel) AHHHHH 8O

(Hits the bottom and is then carried off by a :devilboy: )

Ed Hansberry
12-07-2003, 03:27 AM
That was pretty cute. :mrgreen:

mirkazemisaman
12-07-2003, 07:31 AM

It? It??!!?

Lol, I thought your story was put together nicely and the hat (CF) etc. was amusing. Your way of putting is so much easier to read than a boring one saying that my "axim died"

Congrats! :way to go:

-Justin.

yes... "it" is right. I have no apathy for the new one. "it's" really going to have to live up to my expectations in order to earn the same respect as "its" fellow sister, the good old axim, did.

NeoAxim
12-07-2003, 08:04 PM
My Axim recently passed as well during brain surgery (WM 2003 upgrade).
She never made it off the operating table (cradle).
Luckily Dell's refurbs are of excellent quality and my replacement had a little more zip to it (PXA 255) then its predecessor.

An end just signifies a new beginning.

Good luck with the new Axim. ;)