View Full Version : syncing two

sixerslove
12-03-2003, 11:18 PM
I have an new Dell Axim X3. I also have a new HP 2215. The 2215 already has a partnership through one of my USB ports with ActiveSync. Obviously named the defaul Pocket_PC. The Dell has not been set up yet. Are there any tips or any do's or don't that I should be considering before I hook this baby up through USB and set up a partnership. Are there any conflicts as far as syncro. Obviously downloading may be a little bit trickier on the Dell since it won't have the default partnership name or paths.

David Prahl
12-05-2003, 04:02 AM
I've never done this before, but would suggest you:

1-Rename your 2215 partnership to "iPaq" or "mistake" :lol: (just kidding)
2-Plug in your X3 cradle/cable
3-Try and start A.S. on the X3. Even as a "Guest".
4-Name your X3 partnership "Axim" or "best choice I ever made" :D

That should work, but ActiveSync has so many quirks that it might not. Might be a good idea to back up the 2215 before doing anything (which reminds me, I need to back up my PPC!).

sixerslove
12-05-2003, 04:27 AM
Thanks David for replying. Yeah I am new to PPC's. This will be the true test. Both these units are brand new. Of course the Axim is a little newer technology but we will see. I like the styling and the grips better on the iPaq seem a little more durable material. Anyway. Actually I played around with it for awhile. I found out the hard way that you can't sync them both at the same time. It just knocks activesync all out of sync. No pun intended. I also had both the PocketPC's on USB hub. Big no-no. The Axim would completely shut of when I plugged in the iPaq. So I addressed that. Anyway as long as you set up different profile in outlook with the same id as each device and you don't try to sync them at the same time, you can isolate your data on both and it moves pretty slick. I think also it is a good idea to close A.S. before you plug in the opposite PC to sync.

Any

Happy Pocket PCing

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 04:49 AM
Another option would be if you have Windows 2000 or XP to just set up a different login for each PPC. It'll sync with whatever .pst file outlook uses in that particular profile. I was going to do that solution with my wife until she decided she wanted another palm instead of a Pocket PC.

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

David Prahl
12-05-2003, 05:05 AM
I was going to do that solution with my wife until she decided she wanted another palm instead of a Pocket PC.
:

Yeah...that HotSync - it just works too well! :lol:

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 05:43 AM
I gotta tell ya Dave... It's the one and only undeniable advantage that Palm has now, and barring some major change, will have forever. Activesync flat out sucks, but what are you gonna do? MS isn't about to change it any significant way unless I'm missing their acknowledgement that it really does suck.

It's a shame, though, because IMHO the PPC hardware is so much more refined...

David Prahl
12-05-2003, 05:48 AM
Why should MS fix ActiveStink? Now that it's the accepted standard, no one has a choice!

Remember Internet Explorer? Once Netscape died MS just stopped developing it. IE 6 was released back in August of 2001!

Vincent M Ferrari
12-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Scary part is, if I understand it correctly, they like AS so much they're bundling it with smartphones too! 8O

That means that the same mistake is being made on three platforms!

PPC
PPCPE
Smartphone

Oy.

You know what the real problem is? There is no other way to interface your PC and your PPC, so you're stuck. There's no incentive for them to change it because there's no alternative (in other words, I agree with you!)