View Full Version : Which brand of SD card do you use?

aroma
12-03-2003, 11:04 PM
I've wondered if SandDisk's oftentimes poor reputation on their SD cards is somewhat inflated because more people own their brand as a result of their low price point. So I decided to do a little poll to see what brand people use. I did a quick search through one of my suppliers to create my list of SD card vendors.

- Aaron

tanalasta
12-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Just out of interest, you do realise that a fair few manufacturers source their SD cards from Sandisk (and then rebadge them) ;)

I use a hagiwara-sys com card which used to be sourced from panasonic but are currently sandisk. And it's already corrupted on me once....

JustinGTP
12-04-2003, 01:47 AM
I have the Kingston brand, love it so far.

I was looking at digital cameras and the Olympus' models feature xD, so thats why I stayed away from them. My brand new Samsung Digimax takes SD, so Im happy :D

-Justin.

Palmguy
12-04-2003, 02:19 AM
Yeah, my dad just bought an Olympus camera. It's really nice, but I would want SD if I bought one.

maximus
12-04-2003, 09:49 AM
I have more than 10 sandisk SD cards from 16MB to 512MB, and all of them are still alive. Humm. I must be the lucky one.

mrkablooey
12-04-2003, 12:17 PM
I bought 2 Sandisk SD cards (1 when I got my iQue, 1 when I got my iPaq). The first one got packaged with the iQue when I sold it, the 2nd now rides shotgun as a CAB file holder and other storage. It stays in the little SD slot on the Innopocket case. Panasonic now in the drivers seat. Makes a difference when searching Mapopolis maps (or even loading them!) SanDisk gets the nod because of price, but if speed ratings were listed on the package and was more readily available info, people would be buying the Panasonics more often for the extra dough.

dh
12-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Current: SanDisk 256MB
In transit: Kingston 512MB

I've had to format the SanDisk four times since March so it's been better than some.

My SanDisk 1GB CF card on the other hand has been perfect.

ChristopherTD
12-04-2003, 02:31 PM

Do Kingston make their own, or is it rebranded? I can get a Kingston but am hesitant to if it really is a SanDisk underneath?

For that matter, who makes the HP branded SD cards - does anyone know? My HP 256MB SD card is very, very slow, but that might be my iPaq 5550.

maximus
12-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Do Kingston make their own, or is it rebranded? I can get a Kingston but am hesitant to if it really is a SanDisk underneath?

dh, for the sake of knowledge, can you please crack open the kingston SD card and see the manufacturer of the memory chip ? :mrgreen:

For that matter, who makes the HP branded SD cards - does anyone know? My HP 256MB SD card is very, very slow, but that might be my iPaq 5550.

crack open, and take a peek ? :D

ChristopherTD
12-05-2003, 10:23 AM
crack open, and take a peek ? :D

Do they come apart that easily?

SD performance seems to vary wildly. A backup (using Sprite's Backup) to the same card with roughly the same data set can take 2 minutes, or 4 minutes. Sometimes the card just seems to be in slow mode.

ntractv
12-05-2003, 02:03 PM
I've had my SanDisk 256 card for almost two years now. Used it first with my iPAQ 3835 and now with my iPAQ 5555 and I have never had a problem. Guess I just am a lucky guy considering all the horror stories I've heard about them.

dh
12-06-2003, 07:49 PM

Well my Kingston card has arrived and it appears not to be a Sandisk. My Sandisk was made in Taiwan, the Kingston in Japan. There are also some differences in the plastic moulding.

Rather interestingly, although Kingston claim to be the largest independent manufacturer of memory, they don't appear to have a manufacturing plant in Japan, so I assume my card is made by someone else. Wonder who?

In any case, I'm going to make regular backups and continue to keep my important apps in Built-in storeage.

Flavinha
12-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I didnīt have a SD card untill a month ago. And I really need one so I searched online for info on Sandisk and many people told me that they have been having a lot of problems with this Sandisk bc it doesnīt record well and sometimes, it does, but after a few days the info disapears...

Is this really true???????

I ended up buying the Lexar bc I only heard good this of it. But I really interested in knowing about the Sandink.........

Flavinha*

dh
12-06-2003, 09:11 PM
I didnīt have a SD card untill a month ago. And I really need one so I searched online for info on Sandisk and many people told me that they have been having a lot of problems with this Sandisk bc it doesnīt record well and sometimes, it does, but after a few days the info disapears..
I used my SanDisk for nine months and most of the time it worked just fine. I've had to format it three times during that period, all the problems happening while I was transfering large files to the card via ActiveSync. Using a card reader seemed to help the situation. My PPC is an Axim X5 which does seem to have a problem with SanDisk cards.

This poll confirms that Sandisk is the most common card, it's low cost and available just about everywhere. I have not seen any statistical data on the likelyhood of a Sandisk to fail more than other cards, now that would be interesting to see.

I've just bought a Toshiba e355 for my daughter for Christmas (that's a nice little PPC for $160.00!) and we will use the Sandisk card there and see how it goes.

Roosterman
12-06-2003, 09:12 PM
I have two, one is Sandisk the other PNY. Both work fine. I have had the sandisk for about a year and never had a problem with it.