View Full Version : How many Ipaq users NO longer use their old dayplanner you used to write in??????

sleepyartist
12-03-2003, 08:01 PM
:?: I have to know how many of the wonderful IPAQ users still use their old dayplanner or dayrunner. I have an Ipaq 1910 and am ready to upgrade to the 4150, however I'm still carrying around that old black zippered notebook dayplanner. I wish I could get rid of it.

I'm trying to see if I should spend the money and upgrade. At my job I constantly need access to dates and contacts (phone & adresses). Seems like despite my 1910, the old pen and ink is easier.

I'd love for you guys to change my thinking. Please!

Here's an opportunity to tell what you really do.

:? SA

CoreyJF
12-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I haven't used a day planner in a couple years, maybe longer

DustyLBottoms
12-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Paper? What's that?

I think I saw somwthing about paper in my printer manual......

sleepyartist
12-03-2003, 08:47 PM
:oops:

OK, I'll admit, you know, the paper thing... its got a way of taking over.

I really need some help and guidance here.

sa :dilemma:

bridgecrosser
12-03-2003, 10:04 PM
I use my iPAQ for everything now, although from time to time I feel like switching or augmenting my 5450 with paper. It's those pesky long-range planning sessions that kill me. I need to have a big picture and you can't get it on the PDA or in Outlook, for that matter. I have printed weekly calendars out of Outlook for futue planning, but that's not acceptable. The monthly calendars don't have room for all the appointments I have in my days and thus cut things off. I'm thinking now I may go to something like Calendar Creator Plus to do my long-range planning calendars and print them off for the team to use. But I'll also keep the longe-range planning dates in Outlook so my PDA is synced. We'll see!

Janak Parekh
12-03-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm trying to see if I should spend the money and upgrade. At my job I constantly need access to dates and contacts (phone & adresses). Seems like despite my 1910, the old pen and ink is easier.
Simple: old habits die hard. You can get a PDA to be decently fast for most common tasks, but it will only happen once you treat it like an extension of yourself. Your best bet would be to just stop carrying the planner one day and suffer (at first) with the PDA exclusively. Once you get faster and more in-sync with the PDA, you won't notice it as much, and you'll eventually get used to just pulling the unit out of your pocket without thinking.

Oh, and it will always take a little more time to do random data-entry, but ultimately, it should simplify the overall picture. Also, be sure to use your desktop application while at work to compensate for data-entry; I have Outlook running on my desktop at all times, enter my appointments straight into there, and make sure to sync before I leave.

As for me, I always hated paper dayplanners, so I used to just try and memorize everything. When that started failing, I got my first PDA, and the transition was relatively smooth. :)

--janak

Constant Caffeine
12-04-2003, 12:18 AM
I just bought an iPAQ h4155 to replace my Jornada 420 that I had in a zipper binder. I kept my driver’s license, credit cards, cash, etc. with the dayplanner. I have done away with my planner keeping ID’s, credit cards and cash on a money clip and the iPAQ in the other pocket. Do you use your dayplanner for anything else other than note taking?

One thing I’m really happy about is I actually have a free hand now without the planner. I always have a coffee cup in the opposite hand. :mrgreen:

dh
12-04-2003, 12:38 AM
I just bought an iPAQ h4155 to replace my Jornada 420 that I had in a zipper binder. I kept my driver’s license, credit cards, cash, etc. with the dayplanner. I have done away with my planner keeping ID’s, credit cards and cash on a money clip and the iPAQ in the other pocket. Do you use your dayplanner for anything else other than note taking?
I'm much the same. I still use my Daytimer binder but there is no paper in it. My Axim, WiFi card, phone and Pocketop keyboard fit in just right, along with my keys, money and odds and ends..

The only thing I want to do now is remove the metal rings which take up a bit of the inside space and it will be the perfect traveling kit.

For me the key to replacing paper is the Notes app in Pocket Informant. I can scribble diagrams and ideas right on the page or use Calligrapher for better notes that I can actually read.

JustinGTP
12-04-2003, 01:49 AM
I didnt have a day planner in the beginning, that was the whole idea for me to get a pocket pc was to get myself organized.

It is working to an extent, maybe more of a distraction with the games, but, you know, study hard and play hard :D

-Justin.

iPaq Fan
12-04-2003, 10:10 PM
:?: I have to know how many of the wonderful IPAQ users still use their old dayplanner or dayrunner. I have an Ipaq 1910 and am ready to upgrade to the 4150, however I'm still carrying around that old black zippered notebook dayplanner. I wish I could get rid of it.

I'd love for you guys to change my thinking. Please!

Here's an opportunity to tell what you really do.

:? SA

For writting on the IPAQ, check out 'the pad' here:
http://www.visualit.co.uk/pad.htm

moaske
12-04-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm still carrying around that old black zippered notebook dayplanner. I wish I could get rid of it.
Blech....hardcopy... ;)

Try M$ VoiceCommand to simplify interfacing with you're machine ! It rocks !

12-05-2003, 01:29 AM
I can't remember how much money I poured into my daytimer over the years. I was one of those people that had to have the new binder as soon as mine started showing any wear, all of the specialty pages, all of the cool rulers, calculators, .........OH MY GOD...... I just realized I'm an obsessive compulsive personality. I have the same thing going with my PDA's.......Help.....someone help me.......this is a cry for...........help....... :jawdrop:

JanellHolter
12-05-2003, 07:43 AM
:roll: I go to college and have been using a pda for the last five years, one of the classes I was in had an 18 page thesis and I did it on it, that was a handspring visor with a targus keyboard, I had a Dell until just recently when I purchased the 4350. I personally am lost when I do not have my pda, my whole life is organized into it. I use both Pocket Informant and Agenda Fusion for my daytimer progam, and love the ability to syn with my computer at home. Also you can get some really nice cases on casesonline.com to carry things in. Just my opion of using a pda for a daytimer.

Jeff Rutledge
12-05-2003, 11:21 PM
At my job I constantly need access to dates and contacts (phone & adresses). Seems like despite my 1910, the old pen and ink is easier.

A third-party PIM replacement app may help you out here. IMO, Pocket Informant (http://www.pocketinformant.com) can't be beat.

ekconrad
12-06-2003, 04:07 AM
The only paper I use now is a post-it note.... so when someone gives me a number or phrase too quickly, I can write it down so I can transfer the information to my 2215! :lol:

AggieJon
12-06-2003, 10:45 PM
I used to use a dayplanner for everything. My impression since getting my first PDA about a year and a half ago is that PDAs make things faster!
Think about it. With a dayplanner, if you wanted to put a phone number on those alphabetized, tabbed pages you had to unzip the planner and then flip to the right page and find a blank spot. With my Ipaq I just press the contacts button and hit New. That seems faster to me. 8)

Recently I've been using the voice recorder for those quick phone numbers or notes. Some people find it a little strange when I hold my Ipaq out for them to speak to :huh: , but it's unquestionably faster than any other way of note taking. :D

Duddy
12-06-2003, 11:06 PM
What the crap is this "Day Planner" of which you speak? Is it software? What's the web address?