View Full Version : Replacing the Laptop

Kati Compton
12-03-2003, 06:19 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&e=5&u=/nm/20031202/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...mn_pluggedin_dc</a><br /><br /></div>A number of our readers have discussed how they can leave their laptop at home thanks to their Pocket PC, which can do many of the same things, just with a smaller screen. But what about SmartPhones? A <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&e=5&u=/nm/20031202/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc">recent article</a> has suggested that SmartPhones may also be a potential laptop replacement.<br /><br />Personally, I have some doubts. At this point, even a PPC isn't a full laptop replacement for me, as there are a number of things it doesn't have that I need, such as a full-fledged C++ compiler.<br /><br />What do you think? What is the minimum gadget set that you can take on the road?

SandersP
12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
It doesn't have commercial C++, I doubt any company will spend money developing it.

but PPC has GCC port already so...
no more excuse for you sister.

http://mifki.ru/pocketgcc/

insaneperson
12-03-2003, 06:38 PM
As a Junior in computer science and mathematics I lugged two full PC's home and back for thanksgiving break. My pocket pc was not enough since I needed to do some coding and compiling with GNU. As for cell phones, i don't use em.

If I had a laptop, it would be the minimum gadget to take on the road.

Has anyone had any luck with telnet programs on PPC in order to do some coding and compiling remotely? Does there exist a pocket Putty?

Jerry Raia
12-03-2003, 06:44 PM
I'm in hotels 2 to 3 days a week, I need everything with me.

Kati Compton
12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
It doesn't have commercial C++, I doubt any company will spend money developing it.

Heheheheheh. Except that to test my code I have to actually run it, and it can take 4-6 hours (and in some cases much more) to run on my 2GHz desktop.... 8O

I think it'll be a while before Pocket PCs have the power I need for my coding, even if there *is* a C compiler.

SandersP
12-03-2003, 07:07 PM
hey you change the requirement parameter :mrgreen:
so it turns out not only you need a full compiler but also a powerful hardware to run the code.

well, I cannot go anywhere without having access to a superkoompuuter. :razzing:

Korlon
12-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Personally, I doubt a PPC or phone will ever replace a desktop PC, at least for me. As Kati suggested, the PPC simply is not powerful enough for many programming tasks (my line of work as well 8) ). A laptop would probably do for me, but I don't own one :cry: (and don't travel anyway). Also, I can't see anything short of direct mind-interface 0X replacing a keyboard for writing code. That being said, I do take my little Axim everywhere, almost. I can't do work on it, but I can do a lot of things that make life and work easier.

johncruise
12-03-2003, 07:10 PM

Sometimes, you guys scare me. :) Thanks for the link!!!

Anyone actually tried this? Does it complies with the latest C++ standards?

Pat Logsdon
12-03-2003, 07:32 PM
If I had my dream job (full time writer), I wouldn't need to take my laptop. However, in the real world, I have to connect to my company's network, which has very high security. My PPC just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid... :(

PHactotum
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Well, I said "...I could get by with just a Pocket PC (and maybe a cell phone)," but it really depends.

If the travel is work related, or just a weekend away, I'd probably take the laptop with me.

If I am on vacation and work is off limits, the only way to take a true vacation, then a cell phone and Pocket PC are all I need.

I haven't looked too closely at the Smartphones. If the screen was big enough to read a book, then maybe I could get by with one of those.

This is a case of, it depends.

sublime
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Wait, I don't travel.

Unless you consider the bus and subway to school travelling. Then I just sleep. I don't need my PPC to sleep.

...or maybe I do?

alandashby
12-03-2003, 07:46 PM
I would have never thought that I could replace my laptop with my Pocket PC even though I try to use it for just about everything. I am a student at the University of Utah and for years have been using my notebook as a way to take notes, infact I have not used a pen for notes (with exception of math and physics corses) for three years. But due to a braking my finger tip a week and a half ago i have been forced to either use my pocket Pc or pen so I have turned to my Pocket PC. I will have to say at first it was hard to just use the pocket version of word and I now have many suggestions for next versions. But I now plan on using my Pocket PC rather then my notebook when my fingure is better anyway. I haved added the 2215 thumb keyboard to my christmas list, and think that I will perfer using the smaller form factor over my notebook just because it is smaller and easier to carry along. (And I even have a small note book 3 lb)

However, there are things that I will be using the notebook that my Pocket PC can not do, on is web page building. I run www.pocketPCinsider.net and find that I like to build the site while on the go or at the park or somewhere else other then at home. And I think it will be a very long time before if ever you will see something to build easy web pages for the pocket pc.

I dont think that there is a all-in-one soultion to everyones needs, I am a strong believer that you need it all! Desktop, notebook, Pocket PC, and a good phone (not always a MS phone). But you need to have communication and file transfer options between all of the devices.

insaneperson
12-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Who made this poll anyway?

ux4484
12-03-2003, 07:47 PM
I gave my company laptop back two years when I got my Visor and Docs to Go, but the Visor's serial cable adapter always added extra carriage returns, so I couldn't use it reliably as a terminal. The Dell with the serial cable has no such troubles. So now I can do everything at work I did with my laptop (for the last year :) ). My one regret was always giving up Doc's to Go for Pocket Word, but since getting in on the $10 Textmaker deal.......my PPC work-life is complete (for now that is :D ).

Jimmy Dodd
12-03-2003, 07:49 PM
a number of things it doesn't have that I need, such as a full-fledged C++ compiler...

the PPC simply is not powerful enough for many programming tasks (my line of work as well ).

Not to wander off topic for too long, but:

We seem to have a lot of developers as PPCT members for the Developer section to be so anemic. Does everyone even know it's there? :?

Kati Compton
12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
We seem to have a lot of developers as PPCT members for the Developer section to be so anemic. Does everyone even know it's there? :?
While I'd like to be a developer, I simply don't have the time. My coding is for research purposes.

Korlon
12-03-2003, 08:20 PM
We seem to have a lot of developers as PPCT members for the Developer section to be so anemic. Does everyone even know it's there?

Yes. I have read parts of the forum, in fact. I believe that section is intended for development for PPC. Unfortunately, my work is not nearly that cool. My work is in Java business solutions, which brings me to my other reason for needing more computing power on the go: JVM. I haven't found a good, and more importantly free Java run-time environment for Pocket PC, so I still need a UNIX- or Win9X/NT/XP-based PC to develop.

If I could write, compile, and run Java code reliably from the palm of my hand, then I wouldn't feel the need for any other computing equipment.

Ed@Brighthand
12-03-2003, 08:41 PM
I couldn't do my full job without a computer but I haven't taken a laptop on a trip in almost two years. I covered last year's Consumer Electronics Show with just a digital camera and a Toshiba Genio e550g. And when I go on vacations I check my email on a handheld.

ahintz
12-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Well, when I was in college I used my original iPAQ 3600 and a keyboard to take my notes the last couple of years - I didn't even bring a laptop with me most places. However, in my current job I do a lot of web development and I've found that a small laptop (my Fujitsu P2110) is a necessity. The screens on PPCs I find are just too small to get real work done, even if there was a version of Dreamweaver for the PPC :D.

I don't have a Smartphone, but I think that would be even more lacking with only the number keys for input and such a small screen.

--Andrew

thunderck
12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
My 2215 is great :D add a think-outside-the-box keyboard and a bluetooth cell phone from Sprint :roll: (if Sprint would just support the ericson 608 I believe that would be the stuff right there) But I'll have to stick with the data cable. :wink:

55Kevy
12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
I haven't traveled with a laptop for 3 years. I changed jobs which put me on the road a lot, with numerous overseas trips, and didn't really want to lug a notebook around just for email. So I bought a 548 and never looked back. I use a 2215 now and find it perfectly adequate. Sure, I can't 'fine tune' presentations, but that just means I have to have them ready and loaded for PocketSlideShow to show 'em. I have accessed our corporated network from as far away as South Africa to access email. And I routinely take notes using the stowaway keyboard. There have been a couple of times that AS siezed up on me and I was incommunicado for a couple of days, but no big deal.

Kevy

Jason Lee
12-03-2003, 09:28 PM
For what I do my pocket pc, plus some kind of connectivity, is all i need. I used to take notes on my laptop in college until I got my litte WINCE 1.0 compaq pc companion. I was amazed at how fast I could type on those chicklet sized keys. All the way through CE 2.11, ppc, ppc2k, and now WM2003 I haven't looked back. Things just keep getting better. First pocket word and now textmaker... And the savior of all, terminal services. I can manage all of our servers right from the palm of my hand. And if I ever do need a full blown PC while out and about I can connect to my office desktop! I would love to try one of the new VGA Toshibas, I use virtual display but it is hard to read without zooming. Now if Sprint would just get a bluetooth phone..... :evil: I'd be set. For the moment. ;)

The thing that really sets if for me is NO boot/shutdown time and way longer battery life than a laptop. I really want a tablet pc thought for the gadget factor. :mrgreen:

arebelspy
12-03-2003, 09:51 PM
While obviously a PPC can't replace a desktop if both were in the same room, my XDA II does a more than adequate job while on the road. I was away from my computer for 5 days for Thanksgiving last week, and the XDA II kept me up to date on emails, forum threads, everything. I never could get by with just a PPC before, but now I can.

:D

-arebelspy

Ed Hansberry
12-03-2003, 10:25 PM
2215 + Nokia 3650 + Stowaway keyboard and I am all set. :mrgreen: I take my WiFi card, 56K modem and CAT5 ethernet card too. Never know what kind of connectivity will be in the hotel.

Oleander
12-03-2003, 10:39 PM
For me, the PPC is also more than adequate in doing what i need done.
I can write long documents with my stowaway, surf the net, get mail, do usenet, play games, see movies and find way due to GPS. What more can one need?

Isnt it just a minority of people with a laptop who use it for anything more advanced than typing some letters and doing some mail?

I have actually brought my PPC with me to the yearly one week rock festival at Roskilde (http://www.roskildefestival.dk/) since my boss was complaining that one year it took 4 hours to get hold of me.
This time around, it was a breeze to take out the PPC, restart the service on the webserver, and party on during one of the concerts. Try doing that with a laptop! 8)

Btw Beacon5's Pocket Power Pack (http://www.beacon5.com/pp-a100.asp) is a lifesaver when trying to do the above stunt.

adamz
12-03-2003, 10:53 PM
My laptop was thrown out long before I got my first Uniden UniPRO PC100. Before that, when travelling I would just use other people's computers.
Now I've got the XDA II and that's all I need when travelling (along with a Bluetooth headset of course). Heck, it does more than a laptop! How many times have you pulled a laptop out of your jacket pocket and taken a picture of that beautiful sunset while on the motorcycle? I just need to build a Bluetooth headset into the helmet.

@arebelspy - Having a PDA and a cell phone connected via bluetooth is like the stone age compared to the XDA II. Don't you agree? :) I feel so free!

arebelspy
12-04-2003, 02:25 AM
@arebelspy - Having a PDA and a cell phone connected via bluetooth is like the stone age compared to the XDA II. Don't you agree? :) I feel so free!

Yeah, I love it, couldn't be happier. And now that T-Mobile has free, unlimited GPRS (only for web surfing/pop email, if you want all ports such as instant messaging, etc it's $20/month) for all accounts (this is new, only a few weeks old at most, before it cost money, now t-mobile no longer counts MB, all their plans have unlimited free browsing).

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237460

:D

-arebelspy

notesguy88
12-04-2003, 04:32 AM
For 80% of the time I'm OK with my XDA (not even the XDA II). However, my work requires that I have a laptop with me as I do things that for now a PDA cannot do. I'm now looking into possibly getting a Tablet PC. One note about the free gprs from T-Mobile. I was able to download from a UK site the AIM client for th PPC. Setting it to port 80, I was able to login and use IM via the free gprs connection. :D

bjornkeizers
12-04-2003, 11:10 AM
... Everything but the KITCHEN SINK baby! :D

When I somewhere, I always take at least my PPC and cellphone with me. When I'm away for longer then say.. 24 hours, I also bring a laptop. I even brought it with me on holiday to the Czech Republic this year :D I simply can't live without my gadgets.

adamz
12-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I love it, couldn't be happier. And now that T-Mobile has free, unlimited GPRS (only for web surfing/pop email, if you want all ports such as instant messaging, etc it's $20/month) for all accounts (this is new, only a few weeks old at most, before it cost money, now t-mobile no longer counts MB, all their plans have unlimited free browsing).

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237460

OH WOW!!! That's excellent!! I LOVE T-MOBILE!