View Full Version : Getting New PPC... Advice?

malcolmsharp
12-01-2003, 07:46 AM
I'm going to be getting a new PPC next year. I currently use a very used IPaq, back when they were still called Compaq. The battery is dying, it no longer can connect with the sync mount, and the screen is scratched in a few places. Love it dearly, but it's time to move on.... and I have a new job!

So, I'm leaning towards IPaq, but not married to it. I've been reading all the reviews, but would like some personal opinions of those I trust (you guys) who have personal experience with them. Which should I buy?

Priorities...

1. Connectivity: Blue tooth built in. I'm getting a new cell phone with blue tooth, and I currently have a job with no web access. I need BT to check my mail and find reading material during breaks/lunch though my (new) phone. Wi-Fi is a need too, but I don't mind too much if it's though an add on card. But I certianly mind if it's built in.

2. Screen: I like a nice screen. It needs to be bright, and readible in day light. I don't need the best one, just a good one.

3. Battery life: Look, I don't need it to last 10 hours. I'm not a heavy (time wise) user. But if it craps out after 2 hours of mod to heavy use, I'm pissed. I won't be using it much at work, other than at breaks and lunch, but I will be using it outside of work. I want to leave the house and not be worried about bringing the charging cable.

4. Memory/hardware: The two are connected with me. If it has built in Wi-Fi, I don't midn if it doesn't have a CF slot, becuase that's mainly what I'd use it for. But I already have a couple of CF memory cards, so it's a bit of a plus if it does.

So... any advice? Thanks.

jeasher
12-01-2003, 08:10 AM
iPAQ h4150/4350. It all depends if you like the keyboard.

Palmguy
12-01-2003, 03:22 PM
The 2210 might also be a good choice. Very nice size, the screen is better IMO than the 4150, and you have the option of using your CF memory cards if you like. The 4150's built-in wifi sure is great though.

popabawa
12-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Some off-the-cuff observations on the 2210 v's the 4150.

I have a 2210 (plus Sandisk WiFi), my colleague sitting next to me at work has a 4150.

For me, the CF slot was important as I already had a 512mb CF card along with my 256mb SD card. If you need to carry tons of files with you, this is probably the way to go. If I need WiFi, just pop the Sandisk card in. Works a treat.

The 4150 is TINY. Both are very light, I like my Proporta aluminium case which adds a nice amount of heft to the unit.

I think the 4150 has a slighly nicer screen but that's personal preferance. Both screens work well outdoors.

The stylus in the 4150 is extemely thin, I don't like it with my big flippers. The 2210 stylus feels small also, much prefer the big fella in my old 3850. Just ordered a replacement aluminium stylus which should feel a bit nicer.

Benchmarks put the 4150 ahead of the 2210 but I doubt you'd notice the difference in real-world applications.

I prefer the button layout of the 2210 and I (irrationally) hate the power button in the middle of the 4150 but maybe that's just me!

Don't think you'd go wrong with either of them, might come down to price, for me, the 2210 + Sandisk WiFi is better value than the 4150 just because I get a CF slot in the deal. YMMV.

Iain.

senfeng
12-02-2003, 04:53 AM
I used to own the Toshiba e755 and I currently own the iPaq 2215. I like the size and design of the 2215, but in my opinion, the toshiba was a more stable handheld. I had the same programs on both systems and I noticed that 2215 is just a bit slower. I've also noticed that I do far more soft resets on the 2215 than on the e755. The today screen refresshes slower as well. Sometime the 2215 will miss a couple today screen icons and stay that way until you mess with with the system a bit. The toshiba also seemed to be just a bit brighter and more crisp. As for programs, the most notable difference was with Mastersoft Money. Mastersoft claims that their program runs slower on PPC 2003 devices. This is true for the 2215. It loads a tiny bit slower than on my 3835. However, the toshiba had no problems and actually ran faster than my 3835. In general, all of the programs that I had on both systems ran faster and more stable on the e755 than on my 2215.

As for design, I LOVE my 2215. The Toshiba was HUGE and just looked like a large rectangle with buttons. The aluminum casing also weighed down the handheld. I believe the body of the 2215 is made out of plastic, which I actually like. Do I regret the switch? Sometimes, but I'm pretty satisfied with my new ipaq. Except for the noticable load time with Mastersoft Money, I don't think that I would've noticed the differences in the two systems if I didn't own both of them.

shawnc
12-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Just my .02 on the 2215 vs 4150. I requested a 4150 for xmas based on articles and reviews. For me, dual slots was an absolute no-no. Size was the most important thing for me since I find myself using my Axim less and less because of the heft. A few days ago I decided to go into Office Depot to take the 4150 it for a test drive. They didn't have any units on display so I started fooling around with the 2215. I was amazed that a dual-slot machine can be so lightweight. I don't know what the actual specs are, but it felt like a feather compared to my Axim. After using the unit, I'm not so sure that it is not a better deal than the 4150.

However, for me personally my only need for CF would be for wireless and I still prefer the form factor of the 4150. Fortunately for me the difference in price is not significant enough to force me to the 2215. But if anyone is on a tight budget, I would strongly recommend the 2215 + wireless CF card combo. Dell may be leading the way in terms of price, but HP has really stepped up and appears to be distinguishing themselves in terms of quality and technology (IMO).

senfeng
12-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Just an added note:

Another reason that I really like iPaqs (I've owned 2) is that when it comes to finding accessories (cases, stylii, etc.) they're very easy to find in a store like Circuit City, et al. There are also more accessories online than any other PPC.