View Full Version : Attention 4350 users

jeasher
12-01-2003, 06:00 AM
I lost my h1910 at the Orlando Airport yesterday (I'm bummed), and I need to buy a new iPAQ ASAP. I love the idea of the keyboard on the h4350, but how integrated is it when using Pocket Excel? How often will I have to go to the stylus? Also, do you know the difference between the h4350 and h4355?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Anthony Caruana
12-01-2003, 09:13 AM
I lost my h1910 at the Orlando Airport yesterday (I'm bummed), and I need to buy a new iPAQ ASAP. I love the idea of the keyboard on the h4350, but how integrated is it when using Pocket Excel? How often will I have to go to the stylus? Also, do you know the difference between the h4350 and h4355?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Can't speak on the performance/use of the built in k/b but the 4350 and 4355 are the same device. The different model numbers are used by HP for different sales channels. One is for retail sales and the other is for HP direct from memory.

One thing though, the k/b does add some size to device overall. have you considered going for a 4150 and getting a detachable keyboard?

jeasher
12-01-2003, 09:29 AM
I thought about the detachable keyboard, but I think it looks better and is more stable with the integrated keyboard. That and I have more functionality with having the D-pad exposed. Before I make the jump to a keyboard though, I want to make sure I can use the thing at all times and not have to go back and forth with a stylus.

bdegroodt
12-01-2003, 02:50 PM
I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now. I have a long history with a lot of different PDAs. Most recently I traded my last PPC out for a Blackberry and then traded that for the 4350. I wouldn't use another PPC without a keyboard (or any PDA for that matter). I can accomplish about 80% of what I need to with only the keyboard. There's room for better integration, but I'm far more efficient with it than sylus only. MSFT missed the mark a little on some key issues. This includes, auto num locking the keyboard in the right places - phone number fields, calculator etc. Better integration of the "enter" key to close screens - closing a contact screen. Something RIM has done is to recognize the need to really make keys work extra duty and HP didn't get it too right in that department. For instance, on a BB when looking at an email, all you have to do is type R to reply. On the 4350, you need to use the context menu key and then the appropriate shortcut. It's only one additional click, but it's still very important for usability.

All in all, I think this is the best of 5 PPCs I've owned. I won't be trading it away for at least 6 months. Primarily because the issues that I see with the unit can be addressed with software upgrades (or maybe even an aftermarket hack). The keys are there and the real estate has been built, now it's just a matter of tightening it up a little. For a first generation I can't complain too much.

Constant Caffeine
12-02-2003, 08:49 PM
I lost my h1910 at the Orlando Airport yesterday.

Providing that you filled out your owner information screen, it would be nice if the person(s) who found it returned it to you. Hopefully there are still some honest people out there.

jeasher
12-02-2003, 10:12 PM
I lost my h1910 at the Orlando Airport yesterday.

Providing that you filled out your owner information screen, it would be nice if the person(s) who found it returned it to you. Hopefully there are still some honest people out there.

Actually, it turns out someone did find it. A guy in Park City, UT called me to tell me he has my PPC, and that if I send him some money to ship it back he wouldbe happy to do so. Good karma on his part and payback for my previous good karma in returning someone else's cell phone. But I still may get a 4350. I want a new toy!