View Full Version : New 4155 USB port question

beebud
11-30-2003, 10:32 PM
:( After waiting months to get a Pocket PC, waiting for the 2003 to come out, reading the reviews, the questions on this site, etc., finally went out today and got a 4155. Now, I can't get the USB connection to plug into my desk top or my lap top. It doesn't even look like I should try to force it. So, do the USB ports come in different sizes and I need an adaptor or ??? I am hoping this will be a DUH moment.

Thanks much. I'm sure this will be the first of many questions.

Dave Potter
11-30-2003, 11:22 PM
This may be a DUH answer to your DUH question... Are you trying to put the USB plug in upside down? I can't think of another reason why the USB plug would not fit BOTH your laptop and your desktop. USB uses a standardized plug. Try rotating it 180 degrees.

PS - Sorry if this suggestion was too obvious or stupid. Only trying to help!

shawnc
12-01-2003, 12:23 AM
This may be a DUH answer to your DUH question... Are you trying to put the USB plug in upside down? I can't think of another reason why the USB plug would not fit BOTH your laptop and your desktop. USB uses a standardized plug. Try rotating it 180 degrees.

PS - Sorry if this suggestion was too obvious or stupid. Only trying to help!

THANK YOU! I was absolutely thinking the same thing, but was hesitant to suggest as much. Believe it or not, I had that problem when I got my laptop. Took me a few tries to figure it out :oops: .

12-01-2003, 12:55 AM
just a quick verification, the usb plug on the 4150 unit is standard.

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2003, 01:36 AM
I have been having a bit more problem getting 'virgin' USB plugs to connect lately too. Maybe there are some low cost manufacturers that are being a bit lenient with the specs. I have gotten them all to work though. The initial connection has sometimes required a bit more effort than I would have expected. Do take a look at the orientation of the tang in the socket and the hole in the plug to make sure you don't have it upside down, or backwards. Then line up carefully and push with maybe a little wiggle. Useually after the first time it seems easier. And yes the 4155 UAB is 'standard'.

beebud
12-01-2003, 04:47 AM
:| I still can't get it. Something is not clicking. I did try the 180 degrees rotation. The other thing, I was looking at the start up brochure and it looks like I am doing what I think that says but I... I'll take it to work with the laptop and see if the IS guys will help. Thanks!

beebud
12-02-2003, 01:12 AM
:D It was a DUH! When I bought the 4155, the salesman didn't tell me I needed to buy a USB cable. And, in the picture in the book, I couldn't tell there was a cable in addition to the cradle plug/cord. So, the IS folks got me set up with a USB cable and it is working beautifully so far.

shawnc
12-02-2003, 01:18 AM
The important thing is that you're up and running. But I do have a question since I just ordered my 4150. Are you saying that it does not come with the necessary cables to sync with a desktop/laptop? That strikes me as odd and would be very dissapointing.

Dave Potter
12-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Yes - that sounds weird to me too. It should have come with the USB cable. Was the unit new or refurbished? Was the box sealed or was it a 're-pack'?

I would investigate this futher if I were you. If you bought it at a retail store, I would go back and question them about it. If the cable was missing - there may be other things missing too.

beebud
12-03-2003, 04:41 AM
It was a new unit, the box was sealed. I bought it at Circuit City in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. I checked the HP box and on the contents it says "USB desktop synchronization cradle, AC adapter, charger adapter" In the "personalize" picture on the back of the box, it shows a USB cable like the one the IS department at work gave me. So, it may not be an error. I would make sure to check before leaving the store. Or, if online purchase, be prepared to go out and get one if it indeed is not a part of the purchase.

Oh, the salesman also didn't tell me about the HP "free" 128 Mb card with the purchase of another IPAQ item. There were no signs or anything. I knew about it from some other ads and on line vendors. However, when he handed me my receipt, he said, "Here's your receipt for the rebate." End of discussion.

(I went in knowing what I wanted and didn't have to be sold. It's a good thing, huh? Not impressed with the service but the closest place I could find that had one. The salesman didn't even know they had any because the box says "IPAQ Pocket PC h4100 series" and he didn't look to see that that was what I wanted. Fortunately, I recognized it. The internet said Best Buy didn't have one, and they did but I didn't find that out until I was looking for the screen covers and had to go to Best Buy because Circuit City didn't have them.)

It is synchronizing beautifully. Can't see any yellow screen problem unless I tilt it back, but I don't know why a person would want to do that anyway. I bought one of the micro keyboards to attach but haven't tried it yet. No complaints about anything. The size, shape and weight are very nice. People complained about the "case" that comes with it. I don't have a problem with it. It is perfectly fine until I decide I want something fancier. It seems to serve the purpose. Haven't used it for anything but contacts and tasks yet. Will be putting some "Word" and "Excel" documents on in the next week or so, so I'll know more about functioning then.

Sven Johannsen
12-03-2003, 05:10 AM
It should have come with the USB cable. Very unusual for an HP product to have stuff missing. They are pretty consistantly right on in that part of their quality management. Mine and my Wife's 4155s had them. I reallu like that it was a standard USB cable with ab A and B connector so you could sub a longer one if needed, instead of the norm, being connected to the cradle.

Caution on the case. It is soft enough it is very easy to turn the unit on while in the case. Once on, any screen contact will keep it on. Pretty easy to totally discharge the unit in a day of pocket/purse jostling. Most of the quality cases for other PPCs have a hole around the power switch to avoid the cover contacting it. 4155 is pretty new and specific cases aren't widely available yet.

shawnc
12-11-2003, 03:21 AM
beebud,

I would check the contents of your box thoroughly. It seems highly unlikely that it did not include the usb cable. I couldn't find mine right away since it was tucked under the cradle in the box.

People complained about the "case" that comes with it. I don't have a problem with it. It is perfectly fine until I decide I want something fancier. It seems to serve the purpose.

This truly is a matter of taste. I LOVE the case the unit came with. Again, its a matter of taste, but I don't understand how someone concerned with size (many 415X purchasers) would add bulk with a case. I will use the included case for transport only. My ipaq will be naked (possible exception of a screen protecter) during use.

beebud
12-11-2003, 04:51 AM
:oops: OK, red faced! After reading the last couple of responses, I looked again in the box undereath all the wrappings and there it is! Thanks! I would have thrown the box away without even looking further. Still pleased with my purchase. I have been using the case it came with until I decide what I want and it is working fine.

shawnc
12-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Red-faced? I've been there MANY times :wink: . Just glad to be of service.