View Full Version : Internet Access

rcarne
11-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi

I have just purchased a ipaq 1940 PPC I have also a Sony Ericsson T610 mobile phone. Am I right in thinking that I should be able to access my Internet service provider (NTL world) and therefore the Internet using these devices. Both are obviously Bluetooth enabled so theoretically this should be possible, I think? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Rick Carne

bearista
11-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Yes, it is perfectly possible.

The only thing is - if you dial up NTLWorld then you would only get the standard GSM CSD speed of 9.6kbps. And you'd be charged by the minute.

A faster and more economical way would be to connect to your mobile provider's GPRS Internet gateway, I use O2 and it's £2.35 per Mb and is ideal if you want to use MSN Messenger etc. as you're only charged for the data you xfer and not the time you're online. And the speed is ~40-50kbps.

You should be able to retrieve your NTLW POP3 e-mail using standard Inbox, although you may have to use a different SMTP server if you want to send mail

There are plenty of tutorials about connecting to GPRS services via. Bluetooth, just do a search. :D

lonesniper
11-30-2003, 06:38 PM
I have a HP2215 and a T68i on Orange PAYG.
I used the articles on GeekZone (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449) to set up my BT GPRS connection.

Works perfectly each time. My only problem is that Orange is too expensive for GPRS when not on a contract. I am waiting for Virgin to offer GPRS as I am sure they will be very competitive.

Colin

bearista
11-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Yeah Orange PAYG is expensive, around £4.00 I think? I use Orange PAYG for calls and SMS messages. The only reason I still keep the O2 contract is because of the (comparatively) cheap GPRS Internet.

O2 GPRS Internet isn't available on PAYG AFAIK unfortunately. Only GPRS WAP - which is free for a few months... I have managed to grab e-mail using GPRS WAP with Inbox though. But I can only get web pages/MSN/etc. using GPRS Internet.

lonesniper
12-01-2003, 08:14 PM
I would go on a "data contact" but not a voice contract. I only make about £6 worth of calls a month, so perfer PAYG over a £15-25 voice contract and then data on top of that.

Mobile phone companies should be more flexible and offer a larger data plan and allow that to count towards a subsidised phone (ie; £30 and not £200 for the latest model).

Colin