View Full Version : ViewSonic V36, IR port and Seiko SmartPad

wepeccant
11-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just got a good deal on a V36 at CompUSA and they gave away a free Seiko SmartPad (free after rebates, that is :D ).

I cannot see to get the two to work together. The SmartPad software is configured using a COM port. where the IR port sits. Does anyone know for sure which COM port is used for the IR port on a V36?

I called ViewSonic, and the first person I got didn't know what I was talking about. After I insisted, he went off line for a moment and came back on and said that it sat on top of COM1.

Seiko's support line was excellent, but the person there couldn't get the combination to work (we tried almost every combination together). They said that it was COM2 on a V35 and COM4 on a V37, but he said that they've had some problems with the V37 and he knew nothing about the V36.

Does anyone have this combination of a V36 and a SmartPad working?

Does anyone know what COM port is used by the IR on a V36?

Thanks in advance for you comments,

Bill

dhettel
11-30-2003, 08:06 AM
See if this link helps you it's a free program and it can't hurt you;
http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/devmgmt.asp

My guess and that is all that it is would be that it is COM3

David

tinum
12-12-2003, 05:32 AM
I had the same problem, just change the COM port that the Smartpad uses to Com 4.

Skit
02-11-2004, 03:51 AM
I've got a SmartPad2 and my v37 working.

IrDA was on COM4. Couldn't grab it at first, but after a soft reset it freed up COM4 and everything connected. I remember seeing an article about this on the net, can't remember where.

Did you end up getting it working over Xmas?

Cheers
Rob

mlamb88757
05-26-2007, 02:00 PM
The Seiko Smart Pad uses COM 4 with the Viewsonic V36. I use mine all the time and it works great. I believe the setup was in the Seiko user manual. I did put a post it behind my pad of paper with that information so I wouldn't have to go looking for it if the batteries ever went dead or if I had to reset my Viewsonic. It also tells you to uncheck Receive all incoming beams under Settings/Connections/Beam. That way no other IR can interfere with the Smart Pad.