View Full Version : Help

JornadaJ
11-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Having a huge problem connecting with ActiveSync using a laptop running XP. Has anybody had a problem with this? I've downloaded the newest version of ActiveSync, gone through all of the troubleshooting on Microsoft. Any ideas???

Janak Parekh
11-29-2003, 08:42 AM
You've got to be much more specific... :confused totally:

--janak

JornadaJ
12-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Well, the ActiveSync software loads fine. When I try to make a connection (partnership) between my 568 and my laptop, I get the error message that a device cannot be found. The error window tells me that my USB port is available.

I have tried using all three USBs. I have disabled antivirus while trying to connect.

When I went through Microsoft's troubleshooting, one suggestion was to go into connection settings to enable my USB ports. When I try to do this, it goes straight to the connection wizard. This was the only suggestion from Microsoft trouble shooting that I could not do.

My PPC is a Jornada 568, my laptop is an HP ze5825. The version of ActiveSync is the newest one from the website.

Hope this helps...and thanks.

ux4484
12-01-2003, 06:33 PM
I don't think you're supposed to be using AS 3.7.1 with a 568. I was never able to move beyond 3.5 with my 520.

Make sure that the USB ports do not have powersaving turned on (HP does this as default on their laptops) or the laptop shuts them off after so many minutes of no use when on battery to conserve power.

rhmorrison
12-01-2003, 06:39 PM
I don't think you're supposed to be using AS 3.7.1 with a 568. I was never able to move beyond 3.5 with my 520.
8O I'm using my 568 with AS 3.7 without any problems on my desktop system.

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2003, 07:02 PM
If you cradle the Jornada, do you get a USB device detected beep from the laptop? Did you ever? Did you get a device found dialog, followed by a your USB device is ready? Those should happen the first time you stick your 568 on a connected cradle.

Did you load the 'USB' drivers from the original 568 CD? If not, I would recommend removing AS from the machine and then installing AS from the 568 CD. Then you can re-run the latest AS update. You may just not have the right drivers for ther Jornada on the laptop.

P.S. I also have used a 568 on XP with AS 3.7, though I don't have the machine anymore.

ux4484
12-01-2003, 07:30 PM
3.5 was/is HP's last CERTIFIED version of AS for the 560 line. According to the MS site, if you have the Outlook 98/2K security update installed (the one that blocks numbers from being dialed without the users permission) you may have to use version 3.5 on your device (though not necessarily).

c'mon guys...it's activesync....it's a crapshoot sometimes.....roll until something works.

JornadaJ
12-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Nope, never got the beep. Methinks I will try reloading USB drivers from disk. I'll let y'all know soonest...

D.psi
12-02-2003, 09:33 PM
I sound simplistic for asking this, but what kind of connection does the J568 think it is connecting to? (Settings /Connections/ PC: USB, or some serial speed?)

If it isn't setup for USB then it won't work at that end.

D.psi

JornadaJ
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
None of the above worked. Maybe it's the cradle...it was in storage for a few weeks...

I appreciate the help.

ajnemasis
12-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Try this...

Take the cradle out of the USB slot. :!: Make sure your Win XP has all its updates, this is crucial, esp. make sure you have Service pack 1. Go into the device manager and uninstall all USB drivers, then reboot the laptop. XP should then reinstall all the USB connections and hubs. Once that is complete, make sure that ActiveSync is installed and running. Then connect the cradle and finally place the Jornada into the cradle. It should then connect and install properly. I have had to do this for a couple different people and it worked fine after that. If not, test the USB ports with another device, you may have a bad port.